The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2019, 05:50 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

700 ft³? LOL. Piker.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 10, 2019, 07:52 PM   #27
308Loader

I have a very similar bench. started life as a woodworking bench from harbor freight. definitely not as pretty as your cedar bench and finish. but same layout and holes in work space. one thing that bothered me is when a press Is mounted on the front face, the drawers became useless. I bought a chunk of "scrap" 2x12 from the local hardware store (Menards) for $6 bucks or so and made an extension for the presses. If you hard mount a press an the corner of the bench you might get out of the way of the drawer. I use 3 different presses for what ever stupid reason (because I can? ) I mounted a that chunk of 2x12 at a 45 off one of the corners and mounted 2 presses to it (4hole Lee turret and RCBS chucker). also added a chunk to the back to mount powder measures. seemed to make it more functional.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3351/RdUwhf.jpg

just my 2cents, my bench is a mess. way behind on loading, building a blackout upper.
Old November 11, 2019, 12:02 AM   #28
markr6754

At this point, only one drawer is blocked. With the quick detach system I can pull the press and get into the drawer if needed...but most likely will just forgo using it. I like the felt lining, and just having drawers at hand is a nice improvement over my WorkMate conversion bench. I bought of mounting the press to the end of the bench, but I wanted to have lots of room to work, and an end mounted press would inhibit that.
As I’ve only decapped cases I can’t speak to the functionality of my new workspace. But I can remark on how I felt after decapping nearly 900 cases yesterday...great. I own a Frankford Arsenal Hand Depriming Tool that helped keep me in the game, as repetitive decapping activity on my old bench was quite wearing. I could do 200-300 in a session before feeling my back was going to seize. Yesterday session was nearly unbroken timeline, yet I woke up rested and back pain free.
Old November 11, 2019, 01:37 AM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
700 ft³? LOL. Piker.
True--but that's just one fully-dedicated room, doesn't include auxiliary storage in 1000 sq ft basement.

Won't even get into the storage shed for portable benches, targets, hunting gear etc.
Old November 12, 2019, 09:44 AM   #30
Grey_Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonzee View Post
I have a 6' bench should built a 8' bench instead.
ROFLOL!!!! - the bigger the bench the more unnecessary stuff you will end up with....... From experience, just like gold-fish - you'll grow to fill whatever space you give this pursuit..... Just sayin.......
Old November 12, 2019, 06:08 PM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

Stagpanther,

Now you're talking!
Old November 13, 2019, 05:32 PM   #32
NHSHOOTER

Where did you buy that bench?
Old November 14, 2019, 09:41 PM   #33
Jasonzee

It's nice but you should of went bigger you never have enough room for diesand everything else.
Old November 15, 2019, 12:17 AM   #34
Marco Califo

Quote:
OP says in post #1 that it is a Rural King product.
https://www.ruralking.com/all-depart...ge/workbenches
My first glance at the photo said Harbor Freight Tools. Exact same layout, 4 drawers, wood clamp on the end. The HFT one is Asian white wood and costs $119.99 on sale, $149.99 today. Must pickup at store. Looks like someone is reselling the HFT one on for $579 plus $62 shipping. Exact same name, size, weight capacity, "hardwood", and picture:
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...nch-63395.html
https://www.amazon.com/Windsor-Desig...a-568882407280

Now that is Mark-up!

Everything on that Rural King site is out of stock, and I saw prices from $1K to 3+K. Some said OP's was cedar.

When I bought my HFT bench, I also ordered an In-line Fabrication raised quick change press mount, so I can use the drawers. If you just bolt a press on the top front, you may not be able to use at least one drawer.
Old December 3, 2019, 12:46 AM   #35
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSHOOTER View Post
I went back to my local Rural King store on Saturday. Thought I’d check their warehouse for a stray kit...as I headed that way I encountered a floor display with at least 15 workbench kits posted at $64.93. This is the same price listed online as a Ship to Home, with the shipping over $246. No store pickup option listed. Crazy!

https://www.ruralking.com/5-ft-wood-...wers-863980809

I returned Sunday (yesterday) with my pickup and picked up 2 more workbenches. You can’t get the wood for that price. They had 3 left. I had planned to wait until Thursday to go back, but a slight break in the rain encouraged me to go yesterday. I’m sure they’ll be sold out again by Thursday. $139.60 for Two. I’m going to add one to my loading room and put the other in my garage...or both in my reloading room?
Old December 3, 2019, 07:52 AM   #36
Doyle

I'd set up one of the reloading room as a gunsmithing bench.