The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 27, 2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Schlitz 45

Blunderbuss Kit Inbound

I’ve been looking at these for years & the kits aren’t getting any cheaper so I got one coming my way.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/tradi...ercussion.html
I have some ideas for some inlays & finishes to make it my own-should be a fun build.
Found some very nice kits that are much nicer but thought this would be a good start.
https://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-4/
Old August 28, 2021, 03:08 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like the latter's round face flintlock. Percussion just doesn't look right.
Old August 28, 2021, 06:36 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

I like the flintlock kits of the second link because the are a more authentic copy of the originals - NUT - they are much more expensive just because of the components. Much more involved in the barrel making than what appears to be a 54 caliber barrel with a flared end. That said though, there is no reason why you can't make a nice looking one out of the Traditions kit as you have a attitude when it coms to reshaping the stock if desired, utilizing inlays and other changes "to make it your own" and it will provide you just as much enjoyment in doing those things as a kit that costs much much more. Go for it and have fun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 28, 2021, 08:07 PM   #4
bamaranger

kit

I was looking at those very kits on line just the other day. The fact that it's a percussion lock bothers me not a wit. But the odd trumpet muzzle makes the gun appear like a cartoon, Elmer Fudd piece!

Were I to buy one, I'd lop that bell off to more of the appearance of the other kit. The thing should be a hoot, enjoy yours
Old August 29, 2021, 07:29 AM   #5
Hawg

The top one is fugly and is only .54 caliber. The Sitting Fox is a lot nicer and is a 4 bore. If I was to get one it would have to be the Sitting Fox.
Old August 30, 2021, 01:34 PM   #6
bamaranger

agreed

Yes, I'm familiar with the Fox kit, and they advertise a smaller bore size available as well (.69?) The Fox guns are certainly better looking. I'll go so far as to say the Traditions gun looks stupid. The cost of the Fox is high, so I'd lop that traditions bell off and make due.
Old August 30, 2021, 08:17 PM   #7
darkgael

I have a 14 gauge BB. 14 inch barrel. Flint gun. Picked it up a few years ago. It is a hoot to shoot..
Old August 31, 2021, 07:17 AM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Yes, I'm familiar with the Fox kit, and they advertise a smaller bore size available as well (.69?) The Fox guns are certainly better looking. I'll go so far as to say the Traditions gun looks stupid. The cost of the Fox is high, so I'd lop that traditions bell off and make due.
On the site they say it's a 10 gauge. A 12 gauge shoots a .690 ball, so about .70 caliber. I'm guessing a 10 gauge would be about a .78 caliber.
Old August 31, 2021, 08:12 AM   #9
darkgael

Depending on the actual bore, a 12 Gauge may shoot a LRB as large as 0.730.
You are right on about the 10 ga. (0.775)
Old August 31, 2021, 08:33 AM   #10
Schlitz 45

For the limited use that it will see the Tradition kit will work fine for me & I'll do my best to not have it turn out ugly or stupid looking. Should have it in hand shortly & then I can start thinking about carvings/inlays & possibly taking a little off the barrel bell that I hadn't thought about.
I already have two 54's so plenty of ball ammo if I choose to & I have a 12 gauge BP double barrel pistol that shoots .715 pumpkin balls quite well-so I got that covered. Thanks

Last edited by Schlitz 45; August 31, 2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old August 31, 2021, 09:39 AM   #11
Hawg

My Pedersoli 12 gauge has a cylinder bore and fires a .690 ball with a .010 patch.
Old September 5, 2021, 12:46 PM   #12
Schlitz 45

Got the kit in hand. Stock has a nice tight grain and I believe it’s white oak, decided it needed some finger/thumb grooves on the forearm so I got those roughed in-feels pretty good in the hand now. Took about 5/16” off the bell so it doesn’t look quite as cartoonish & got all the stupid warning stamps filed/sanded off the barrel-they were stamped deeper than I thought.
Going to try for a color case hardened look on the barrel using some stuff from steel FX
https://steelfxpatinas.com/product-c...ening-patinas/
Lots of sanding & polishing that gives me plenty of time to think about it.

Old September 5, 2021, 02:31 PM   #13
reinert

I really don't mean to offend anyone on this question, but I gotta ask...

What do you shoot with these things? Just fun stuff at 15 to 20 yds. or so, to just try to bust clay birds, empty cans and etc. (I suppose a cottontail for the pot would be feasible in the right circumstance)? I think of the reason they were kinda developed and used were to deter bandits/highwaymen from a coach situation, intimidating them with that flared muzzle. The Sitting Fox gun is rather cool to look at, but personally I just can't get my reasoning thought around needing one; home defense? I suppose it would be a loud, smoking scattering belch of whatever you'd run down the tube if set off in a dwelling, say, at 3am. when/if seriously needed.

Surely wouldn't need a funnel to load it... and yeah, to me, too, it really should be a flinter. Just me, just sayin.' Have at it, and have fun!
Old September 6, 2021, 01:00 AM   #14
bamaranger

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobbing that muzzle improved the looks of your 'buss already! Most curious as to how and what you used to do so? Also, the resultant scrap would make the basis for an interesting..........what? Amulet, gorgett, ashtray...?

A 'buss definitely falls into the fun gun category. I'd look around for some type of smallish buckshot mold or a price on BB lead, and shoot anything that needed shot. There's a guy on youtube, that posted a number of video's about his Traditions 'buss. He shot a dang gobbler with his!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old September 6, 2021, 08:51 AM   #15
BornFighting88

I did a Brown Bess Kit from Pedersoli a bunch of years back. It was just awesome sauce. Picked up the Danish Oil stain, and clear coated it to keep it safe from the elements. Being smooth bore I use it as a flintlock shotgun for clays some days, and then patch and ball to mess stuff up on a range day. Those Blunderbuss things always had a cool factor in my eyes. Good on you, dude, for getting that. Do post pictures when you are finished. Can't wait to see it.

Thumbs up.
Old September 6, 2021, 12:22 PM   #16
reinert

Yeah, I DO get it, new fun for the new gun... and maybe some challenges, too, which reminded me of a story back from the '80's when I did a lot of competitive shooting.

There was a guy here in Wyoming I met at a shoot back then who told me he shot an antelope with his little replica cannon, which I believe had something like a .75" bore (maybe bigger, don't remember). He told me it was a project he always wanted to do, and being the good shot, hunter and meticulous fellow that he was, he did his scouting for his goat and actually spent enough time at a water hole where most every morning, at the same time, this buck antelope would show up to drink. After all his diligent work, he set up his "gun," strategically placed for the goat and the anticipated shot, and waited for it all to come together. He had made a good blind for his "hide" and however he set up his fuse or powder train for the shot, I don't remember what he said about that, though it must've been something pretty quick for the situation. Well, he waited, it all came together, and he got the buck at the waterhole. When he first told me the story, I fully thought it was B.S., but there were enough folks who heard the story, too, and could pretty much confirm it. I'll say this, I did know the guy well enough to certainly believe that he really did do it.

I'll bet a blunderbuss could do the same thing if one did the diligence, and had the time to do it! I'd bet a whitetail might/could be a pretty good challenge for your new project (if legal to use where you are). Probably a one shot deal there, as I see there's no provisional hole for a ramrod. (?)

Have fun with the new gun!
Old September 7, 2021, 07:39 AM   #17
darkgael

Blunderbuss

This one I picked up a few years ago just to have one. It is about 14 gauge. Fourteen inch barrel.
It is a poor picture but the only one I have right now. It is similar to a number of 18th century BBs illustrated in D.R. Baxter’s book “Blunderbusses”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BA784DB9-D06B-49FA-B4CF-72F6C35671F3.jpeg (44.2 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by darkgael; September 7, 2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old September 7, 2021, 11:49 AM   #18
Schlitz 45

That's a cool looking piece Darkgael-how much does it weigh?
I got the kit mocked up & taken back apart this weekend & made some good progress on metal polishing and getting the wood to metal fit close & tight. It weighs in at 5 3/4 lbs so pretty light & quick handling-the Sitting Fox kit looks like the gun would weigh 10 lbs or more. Got a no drill sling for it that will make it easy to pack as a "Canoe Gun"

I looked at adding a ram rod but the barrel mount lug & screw run dead center under the barrel so no good place to mount a traditional rod.

Last edited by Schlitz 45; September 7, 2021 at 11:57 AM. Reason: adding a photo
Old September 7, 2021, 02:21 PM   #19
darkgael

The gun in the picture weighs about five pounds maybe less.
Old September 10, 2021, 04:00 PM   #20
Schlitz 45

got my color case hardened patina kit & played around on a scrap piece of steel-it has a lot of potential-just have to get the right sequence of colors down & I'm going to try pushing the gel with compressed air to get a pattern closer to the real thing.
Old September 13, 2021, 11:47 AM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

NVM. Answered above.

Do you just spread the gel and heat with a torch? I'm also curious as to its durability (real color case hardening isn't durable).

NVM that too. Found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=441iuqp1Vq0&list=PL8A9K7dQYdThEb6fUMDRi_Mqxz11yLB1x
Old September 13, 2021, 02:00 PM   #22
Schlitz 45

I got the barrel polished this weekend & got it colored. I shot a coat of oil base clear polyurethane on it to keep the colors bright & I'll be able to handle it tonight & see how it looks in the sunlight & if it's hard enough maybe some light wet sanding. Found a nice skull & cross bone pearl inlay to give it a little pirate flavor & picked up some 2mm chisels for a band of abalone perfling that I had left over from a guitar project that I'm inlaying in the stock. Discovered that the "color case hardened" lock is just a patina too so I brightened the lockset up a bit to match the barrel.
Old September 16, 2021, 04:48 PM   #23
gwpercle

LIKE !

Has Home Defense written all over it ... Get a Cutlass and you will be ready !
Just noticed ... it's a freaking 4 - Bore ... Holy Mackerel there Andy !!!

I Like it ... Gary
Old September 16, 2021, 07:50 PM   #24
Schlitz 45

Got started on some of the inlays-Abalone purfling is ready to glue on the under side. The topside of the stock's going to be a little tricky following the dip at the comb, that's why I did the bottom first to get my carving chops tuned up-it's been a while.

Last edited by Schlitz 45; September 16, 2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old September 19, 2021, 09:46 AM   #25
Schlitz 45

Made some more inlay progress, got the top band of abalone & a star I had ready for gluing in-waiting on my skull & cross bones to finish up the inlays.
The plan is to stain the stock ebony & I'm using black epoxy to glue the inlays in, this should help hide my inletting mistakes.Then lightly sanding the stock & using a secondary color stain before finishing. I've used this method on guitars with quilted/flame grain & it really brings out any figure in the grain. The black stain should make the abalone & pearl inlays really pop. We'll see