The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 31, 2021, 09:23 AM   #51
shafter

I prefer the 19. It carries good and shoots like a full size. The capacity difference doesn't bother me nearly so much when your talking 16 vs 18 rounds as it does when its 5 vs 7 rounds.
Old July 31, 2021, 09:59 AM   #52
74A95

If you like the S&W M&P, why not just get a full sized M&P. It has a longer grip and holds 17+1 rounds, just like the glock 17. The feel of the glock grip and grip angle are less comfortable than the S&W.
Old July 31, 2021, 10:02 AM   #53
wild cat mccane

If anyone is talking 19/17, the 48 is now game because it does what the 19 does but with a thinner/better grip.

Not a veer off at all that I bring it up.
Old July 31, 2021, 11:08 PM   #54
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
If anyone is talking 19/17, the 48 is now game because it does what the 19 does but with a thinner/better grip.

Not a veer off at all that I bring it up.
Not without off brand aftermarket mags...
Old August 1, 2021, 09:45 AM   #55
gaseousclay

Quote:
If you like the S&W M&P, why not just get a full sized M&P. It has a longer grip and holds 17+1 rounds, just like the glock 17. The feel of the glock grip and grip angle are less comfortable than the S&W.
I like my S&W but honestly, I just want to try something different.
Old August 3, 2021, 09:49 AM   #56
Lima Oscar 7

My preference is Gen. 3 Glock 17 and I carry IWB. As long as the a given platform is relatively thin sans obtrusive controls, I can hide the barrel and grip with the right holster. Either way, a 17 or 19 is a good choice.
Old August 4, 2021, 07:35 PM   #57
clang

I own both - gen 3s - there's really not that much difference between them. The 19 is a little more concealable. Both are about the same accuracy and both are very reliable.

I bought the 19 first new about 25 years ago. The 17 was a factory refurb I bought about 15 years ago. The only problem I ever had is a couple of early mags I bought used are split on the plastic cover.

If I could keep only one, it would probably be the 19 since it's a little more versatile due to conceal-ability.
Old August 4, 2021, 09:30 PM   #58
Lima Oscar 7

G17 Gen. 3 - Currently seated in company vehicle in park. Yes I don’t have my carry belt on. Ran to do a quick errand.

Latest generation Blade-Tech tuck-able Klipt with claw attachment. It can be concealed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CF1BA038-E44E-4EC8-8B7C-B0DBE9ACD7B6.jpeg (823.8 KB, 34 views)
Old August 5, 2021, 08:19 PM   #59
Ruger45LC

I like the G17 and G19 but I like the G45 the best, it's a 19 length slide with a 17 length grip. Shoots very nicely. I've not shot the G48 but I do have the G43X, same as G48 but shorter slide.
Old August 14, 2021, 11:29 PM   #60
ss1/G8RFAN

The 19 is IMHO the perfect compromise. It sees a good chunk of EDC for me (crossbreed supertuck horse hide) as well as my tactical sidearm. I have another one for home defense and range with an rmr, TLR7, threaded barrel, suppressor height sights, that hosts an AAC Evo. I have both gen 5 MOS 17, 34 and a 43, but the 19 configuration is my favorite, but I don’t have ham fists so it fits me well.
Old August 14, 2021, 11:45 PM   #61
101combatvet

I carried a Glock 17 for a while. I'm not a big fan of Glock and certainly not a fan of compacts. If I had to own one, I would go with the full size for my personal use.
Old August 16, 2021, 12:10 AM   #62
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
I'm sure some of you own both of these pistols, so I want to solicit your opinions on these guns. I'm considering one of these as my next purchase, however, i'm conflicted on which to get. Some pros and cons would be appreciated.

I do own the S&W M&P 2.0 compact but I don't have a CCW. In the event I ever get a CCW, the S&W should do nicely. With that said, the Glock 19 is virtually the same as the S&W as far as size goes. I watched some reviews on both last night and i'm leaning towards the Glock 17 for home defense use. The reason being that the 17 holds 17 rounds and has a larger grip. One of the reviews also suggested the Glock 17 handles recoil slightly better due to the longer barrel and heavier weight, but I don't know if this is true or not. I don't foresee muzzle flip being an issue. I don't know if i'll get a CCW but never say never.
So, lots and lots of discussion. You any closer to deciding on what will meet your needs best?
Old August 16, 2021, 07:44 AM   #63
JustJake

The G19 can do everything the G17 can do, and it does it in a package that's easier to conceal carry.

Plus, Navy SEALS are said to prefer it over the Sig P226. So there's that.
Old August 16, 2021, 04:27 PM   #64
Willie Lowman

When I first started conceal carrying all I had were large duty size pistols. I carried my Glock 22 (same size as a 17). The size of the grip caused printing problems on my cover garment.

I switched to a 23 (same size as a 19) and found concealment much easier.
Old August 17, 2021, 11:33 AM   #65
gaseousclay

Quote:
So, lots and lots of discussion. You any closer to deciding on what will meet your needs best?
I'm leaning heavily towards the 17, mainly because of the slightly larger size. Since I already own the S&W m&p m2.0 compact 9mm, I didn't want another compact 9mm that is similar. If I want to do conceal carry then i'll use the S&W. If I buy the 17 it would be used as a bedside/home defense pistol.

Sad part is, I'm trying to make more upgrades to my AR, so it's pushed the 17 to the back of the line
Old August 18, 2021, 11:16 AM   #66
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
I'm leaning heavily towards the 17, mainly because of the slightly larger size. Since I already own the S&W m&p m2.0 compact 9mm, I didn't want another compact 9mm that is similar. If I want to do conceal carry then i'll use the S&W. If I buy the 17 it would be used as a bedside/home defense pistol.

Sad part is, I'm trying to make more upgrades to my AR, so it's pushed the 17 to the back of the line
Are you not even considering the G45? If so, why?
Old August 18, 2021, 12:14 PM   #67
TBL004

Lots of good suggestions. Glock 17 for home defense. Glock 19 for CCW but could also double as home defense since the 19 also accepts G17 mags. Either would be a good choice.
Old August 18, 2021, 04:12 PM   #68
wild cat mccane

The G45 is the worst of all worlds.

I can't imagine why you would want to eliminate eliminate the benefit of the G19 when the G19 can accomplish the G45's role with an a mag extension on a G17 mag.
Old August 18, 2021, 06:45 PM   #69
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_cat_mccane
The G45 is the worst of all worlds. I can't imagine why you would want to eliminate the benefit of the G19 when the G19 can accomplish the G45's role with an a mag extension on a G17 mag.
I have a 19X which is very similar to the G45. This is one that you really have to get out & shoot to appreciate how good it is and how well it balances in the hand. I’m not necessarily saying that it’s better than my G19, but it’s different, and I like the difference. This gun has worked great for me since I got it, and you are entitled to your opinion, but I certainly can’t agree with the “worst of all worlds” comment.
Old August 18, 2021, 08:12 PM   #70
wild cat mccane

But everything it does can be accomplished with an X Grip mag sleeve on a G17 mag...no? But the G45 permanently makes the gun a full size without the option to go smaller....na. No benefit. Clearly I'm wrong cause they are being bought...but I can't think to name a benefit.
Old August 18, 2021, 10:10 PM   #71
Screwball

The Glock 45 is a very interesting design… those who like them, really like them. But those that hate them, similarly really hate them. I don’t plan on buying one, but I do like the option. And it seems other people like it, as well.

Personally, if I go with the full grip, I want the full barrel length. Hell, I prefer 34 length… but that is neither here/there.

For a duty gun, the shorter slide is nice when clearing the holster. The longer grip might be a hinderance to some, but being issued a 19 Gen 5 MOS… I wouldn’t mind the larger grip (we also have extended bases that sort of makes my hand stay on the 19 grip; it is for ripping the magazine out of the gun). Again, I rather the larger gun… wouldn’t have been a 34, but the 47 (17 sized gun, 45 frame) would be nice.

I got rid of my .45 Glock 30S a little bit ago, as I stopped carrying it. It literally is the same size as my duty gun, so why not just carry that? Have 9mm AR pistol that takes Glock magazines… figured I’d get another 9mm pistol for myself. Got a P80 (the retro Glock, not the 80% lower)… and really liked it. Probably going to see about getting a 34 slide for it, mainly s***s/giggles… but again, I like the larger pistol.

I really don’t like the multiple sized pistol family, but I might find a 26 Gen 5 for another option. We can’t carry backups on duty, but not a bad gun to have as a spare/truck gun.
Old August 19, 2021, 08:22 AM   #72
JustJake

Quote:
I really don’t like the multiple sized pistol family, but I might find a 26 Gen 5 for another option. We can’t carry backups on duty, but not a bad gun to have as a spare/truck gun.
I have the Gen4 G26. Nice little 12+1 package for when a G19 is more "boat anchor" than you feel you need to tote around.

I suppose it could also work in an under-the-seat "truck gun" role.
Old August 19, 2021, 08:37 AM   #73
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
I have the Gen4 G26. Nice little 12+1 package for when a G19 is more "boat anchor" than you feel you need to tote around.

I suppose it could also work in an under-the-seat "truck gun" role.

Off duty, I carry a 9mm 642-1… only time I switch from that is if I feel I need more than five shots of 9mm, or I really can’t carry that… which my original LCP comes around. If I don’t have a gun on me, either I elected not to for a specific reason or I’m naked.

I do have a P938 SAS, but have been procrastinating on putting more rounds thru it before I really consider it a carry gun. Was looking at the P365 and the Hellcat (still feel gross saying I’m looking at a Springfield), but I just can’t justify the purchase right now. I’m waiting on three suppressors, so trying to get muzzle devices and barrels together before they get out of jail… which is where extra money has been sort of going.

The allure of the 26 is really that I can shove a 19 or 17 (or larger) magazine into it. Being I don’t see myself leaving the agency… I’ll likely be swimming in 9mm Glock magazines for awhile. And having it in the vault inside my truck, it just seems like good idea (usually have extra magazines floating around).
Old August 19, 2021, 09:43 AM   #74
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_cat.mccane:
But everything it does can be accomplished with an X Grip mag sleeve on a G17 mag...no? But the G45 permanently makes the gun a full size without the option to go smaller....na. No benefit. Clearly I'm wrong cause they are being bought...but I can't think to name a benefit.
I am cursed with big hands and I have a long-standing preference shooting full size service pistols. I am a big fan of the large beavertail backstrap that comes in the box with the 19X, that has been on the gun since I first got it. Works for me to point the gun to the target and that’s what I know and have figured out for myself. I like to carry the 19 rd. extended mag as a spare. I have enough shooting experience with my 19X alongside my Gen3 17 & 19, to know that the 19X could replace either or both the 17 and 19 if I were inclined to do so (I am not).
Old August 19, 2021, 01:40 PM   #75
wild cat mccane

Sure sure. Totally forget that as a person with small/med hands.