The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Endurance vs Frequency
Shooting no less than 500 rounds in one session, once per week. 2 5.13%
Shooting 200/200/200 divided out in three days per week (MWF, for example). 37 94.87%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 9, 2012, 08:17 AM   #26
Manson

For the average CCW/self defense shooter I would rather make 10 well placed shots than 500 sloppy ones.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:35 AM   #27
themalicious0ne

I think one session of 500 rounds is a bit much, frequency is better in my oppinion. If I am really trying to learn something new however, it may take more than 200 rounds. I dont shoot often enough but I feel like the first 50 or so rounds is to get back to the comfort of my weapon, then maybe ill be comfortable but i notice my grouping is off or I am not doing something properly. Then I will practice my "propper" technique between focus and timed trials. Before I feel truly comfortable with my new found tecnique it may be over 200 rounds but probably not exceeding 400. Food for thought.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:42 AM   #28
ltc444

Fast bolt excellent comment.

No one discussed dry firing. My instructors, SSG Schongert and SFC Reed insisted on 10 dry fires for every live round. Good mechanics, call your shot and stand clear of Rattle Battle type sessions.

When training I mentally asses my target, mentally go through the steps to draw, acquire the target and release the bullet.

I then go through the actual firing. Following the shot I asses the action of the weapon during the process and call my shot. I check the target to determine what actually happened. Once i have determined what actually happened I determine what corrective action needs to be taken to correct my faults and repeat the process.

An hour training session will result in shooting 20 to thirty rounds.

In short quality training trumps quantity training every time.
Old July 9, 2012, 01:33 PM   #29
Steviewonder1

I do 30 minutes of Dry Fire (fired cartridge case on slide at front sight) at home before going to the range. At the range the limit is 200 rounds max. This is 2X per week unless on vacation. One time mid week and the other on the weekend. Years ago I would shoot till ankle deep in brass, no longer.
Old July 9, 2012, 02:12 PM   #30
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

After a couple of hundred rounds you are wasting your time and your ammo. Unless you are in a 3 day match there is no need for endurance training with a pistol. Use the extra time to lift weights, dig up the garden,. go for a walk, play a little basketball. Physical conditioning will help you more than trying to keep tired glazed eyes on the front sight. Then when you really need to shoot you will have the stamina to do it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 9, 2012, 05:29 PM   #31
farmerboy

Itc444, I think before you start typing maybe you should reread post #22 again about dry firing.
Old July 9, 2012, 05:49 PM   #32
Mello2u

Jeff Cooper's advice on training to maintain what was learned at Gunsite is contained in the book "The Modern Technique of the Pistol" beginning on page 141. Even though the book was written by Gregory Boyce Morrison, Jeff Cooper was the Editorial Adviser and the substance of the book is based upon Cooper's teachings.

It is emphasized "every firing stroke must be analyzed and appropriate adjustments made. Exhaustive repetition of error does not add up to progress."

It is suggested that non-shooting warmups and dry fire practice go a long way in maintaining skills. In the book it is suggested that less than 100 rounds is sufficient to practice seven drills which make up the Skill Maintenance Exercises.
It is not stated how often one should shoot to maintain skills, the phrase "a steady program of home and range practice" is used.
Does that mean every day, every week, every month or only every year?

I think 500 rounds is excessive for me. At Gunsite I rarely shot more than 200 rounds in one day.
" Frederic Bastiat

Last edited by Mello2u; July 9, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:03 PM   #33
Sarge

Quote:
At Gunsite I rarely shot more than 200 rounds in one day.
The road to precision is lined with small piles of empty brass.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:18 PM   #34
ltc444

Farmerboy sorry i missed your post. Dry firing, if properly done, is critical to developing good breath control, sight pictures and trigger control.

my preferred method is to use a sharpened pencil wrapped with tape to position the pencil in the center of the bore. Draw a dot on a piece of paper. Place the paper on a cork board, the wife hates it when i punch holes in the dry wall, assume a proper shooting stance with the pencil about 1/2" from the target. Obtain a proper site picture and release the trigger.

With a 1911 you should be able to put 10 points into a 1/16 inch circle. if you do this then you are ready to start shooting live rounds.

I also use dry firing as a diagnostic tool on the line to determine a variety of problems. This is generally referred to as ball and dummy.
Old July 12, 2012, 05:31 PM   #35
shep854

I'm definitely in the 'frequency' camp. When I shoot, I always fire my carry gun first, since that is the one I will fire 'cold', if the Bad Thing ever happens. After 20-30 rd, I will shoot other guns, until I start feeling like I'm just burning powder.
If I'm at an outdoor range, I will plink for fun after running through my drills.
Old July 13, 2012, 08:52 PM   #36
HeadHunter

Not many people withstand 500 rounds of ammo in one session. I would recommend the frequency option.

"You can't go as deep [in] training as in a race or a fight. If you don't compete it's easy to convince yourself you're going hard. You're not." — Mark Twight
Old July 14, 2012, 01:09 PM   #37
bikerbill

I voted for the mega-session, tho I agree that shorter sessions more often would be better ... however, you have to take costs into consideration (at least those of us in the real world do) ... each session at my range costs $10, so three sessions would be an extra $20 a week, plus the drive time ... and even tho I'm retired, I still have a life, and don't have time to go to the range three times a week ... my goal is to get there twice a month, and I almost always go through at least 300-400 rds through three-four guns each time I do ...