The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 18, 2017, 06:31 AM   #26
Targa

They certainly do seem to be hit and miss in quality. With that said, I have two Rossi's and other than a cartridge guide screw backing out of my lever action they have both been flawless and two of my favorite guns. A couple of co-workers have a Judge, PT1911 and 605. All of which have been excellent for them as well. For me? Yeh, Taurus is still worth a roll of the dice.

Last edited by Targa; April 18, 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old April 18, 2017, 06:06 PM   #27
gbclarkson

I have always been a non-basher of Taurus. I have owned 3 Taurus revolvers: a snubnose .357 with a ported barrel that was sold because I worried the recoil was loosening my teeth; a .44 spl ultralite was sold because I am not a reloader; and I still have a 94. All were reliable until recently when the ejector rod on the 94 stuck. Taurus repaired it and returned it but I have not test-fired it yet. I don't want anything to do with it anymore, with Taurus altogether. It was just one problem on a firearm that will never serve a practical role and I'm done. I don't trust them anymore. How fickle am I?
Old April 18, 2017, 07:40 PM   #28
Targa

Very fickle. Hey, you asked a question, I just answered it...
Old April 18, 2017, 09:17 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Quote:
All were reliable until recently when the ejector rod on the 94 stuck. Taurus repaired it and returned it but I have not test-fired it yet. I don't want anything to do with it anymore, with Taurus altogether. It was just one problem on a firearm that will never serve a practical role and I'm done. I don't trust them anymore. How fickle am I?
Not sure fickle even begins to describe it.
Illogical would probably be a good start. One, minor problem, repaired, and returned, and you're done. Sounds like the lack of logic is exactly where Taurus hate stems from.
Would you be "done" with Sig, FN, Kimber, or one of the other "socially acceptable" guns with just one small problem that was repaired?
No, I am not calling the Taurus bashers liars. Just referencing my own experience, and the experience of friends. Plus other friends, and family not mentioned in my post that have had totally trouble free Taurus firearms.
Where all the Hi-Point bashers that seem to have disappeared lying? Don't know, many however continued to bash the brand without ever owning, or even shooting one. Just thought that bashing a brand that some found fault with was the popular thing to do to be in with the "big kids".
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 19, 2017, 09:23 PM   #30
tallball

I have had 95% good luck with Taurus and the one problem was eventually fixed. A few have been excellent. The rest have been in the vast majority okay. If my experiences had been different, so would have been my response. You rolls your dice and you takes your chances.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:44 PM   #31
peggysue

I have always been a non-basher of Taurus.
Old April 20, 2017, 01:36 AM   #32
Bamashooter

I must be lucky. I own two model 85's in 38spl and a PT-145 and all are good guns. Ive had the 145 for over 10yrs and one of the 85's for 5-6yrs. No issues. Good affordable guns when you are working your ass off paying bills and raising kids.
Old April 20, 2017, 01:38 AM   #33
Tad_T

I have a 709 Slim and there is a 738 that I gave my oldest daughter because she felt comfortable with it, was confident in it, and shot it well.

Then there is a 4" blued 669 .357, an M44SS6, and an M444B6 that I gave my son. He digs that Raging Bull.

I have five .357 Gauchos that I shoot a pair of just about every weekend in CAS matches. My youngest daughter won a state championship shooting a pair of my Gauchos because one of her brand new Pietta's broke during a warmup match.

There are also three Rossi M92's in .44 Magnum and one Rossi M92 in .357 that have been shot as main match rifles in CAS and Wild Bunch.

We have a Rossi Trifecta in .243, 20 Gauge, and .22 that is my youngest daughter's deer hunting rifle.

There's also a Rossi Overland 20 Gauge.

That's two semi-automatic pistols, three double action revolvers, five single action revolvers, four lever action rifles, a combo gun, and a SxS shotgun.

I reckon that comes up to 16 Taurus and BrazTech products that have never had a problem and none have them have ever been back for service. Not to say that none of them ever will. Anything can break. But it hasn't happened yet and many of these I have owned for years.

I have no reason to bash Taurus.
Old April 20, 2017, 02:15 PM   #34
gglass

I've had three Taurus CS experiences that took between 6 and 8 months each to resolve... I will NEVER make that mistake again.

ps. One of the three above was never truly resolved after 7 months, so they let me choose a new firearm to replace it, which I then promptly sold upon receipt.
Old May 15, 2017, 05:26 PM   #35
adamBomb

I have a taurus revolver and pistol that are each over 10yrs old and both have been nothing but reliable. I love the innovative stuff their company is pushing and their prices.

As far as taurus bashing, I have always said this...

When you post a forum that your glock is not working right, everyone automatically assumes its your fault or you just got really really unlucky and got a bad one. When you post on a forum that your taurus is not working right, people just say its taurus's bad quality control. If taurus had bad quality control, they would of been out of business a long long time ago. Heck if it were over 5% they would probably be out of business. Could they produce a gun that has some issues at first? Yep, so can glock (think glock 42 when it first came out and everyone gave them a pass).
Old May 15, 2017, 05:52 PM   #36
Ricklin

Lately Better

If any company has been unjustly hammered by the Internet Amplifier, it would be Taurus.

My brother has their 1911, it's accurate, has a great trigger, and has not given him any issues. He had a case head failure recently. Just blew the mag out, no damage to him or to the pistol other than the mag.

I picked up my model 94 as I had been wanting a .22 revolver, but not bad enough to pay S+W's prices. The 94 fills a niche, and always rides along to the range. I like that little 9 shooter a lot, and the icing on the cake....200.00 bucks out the door at the local fun store. Double action trigger is stiff, but single action is crisp and smooth. I did dry fire it about a zillion times using dry wall anchors as snap caps. I also did a full tear down and lube when I brought it home. The dry firing really helped the trigger. At 7 yards I can keep them all in the size of a softball double action. It's a tack driver single action. How could I go wrong for 200 bucks? I do want to put some nice wood grips on it tho, I understand the rubber grips at it's price point. The gun was not NIB but I doubt it had ever been fired prior to my purchase. SN shows it was just made a couple years ago.
Old May 15, 2017, 06:14 PM   #37
rickyrick

I've had Taurus pistols. They looked great. They were finished great. They functioned great. Had good triggers. Shot nice and more accurate than expected.

I just got tired of trying to find holsters, and using the generic ones from Walmart. I was worried about repairs if they ever did break. They have been retired to the junk drawer, metaphorically speaking.
Old May 15, 2017, 06:44 PM   #38
stagpanther

I had an old Taurus 357 mag revolver and it was great--but that's the only one I've had that I can say that about. Had a TCP and it never worked reliably from the git-go--and my beloved 44 mag rossi carbine--well, it musta been assembled on the line when everyone was hung over from too much Cachaça it was terrible but I managed to "remanufacture" it into a great shooting lever gun. Terrible may be a stretch to characterize all Taurus products--but "toss of the dice" I think would be a very appropriate description.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:06 AM   #39
rickyrick

That's how I'd assess people's experiences across the board as stangpanther says, A Roll of the Dice.
I had a favorable experience with Taurus, but that seems to be atypical if you read lots of owners accounts.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:09 AM   #40
rickyrick

I also assume that most Taurus pistols probably only get fired a few times then thrown in a night stand for several years. People get the self protection bug, buy a gun then forget about it.
Old May 16, 2017, 06:23 AM   #41
44caliberkid

My experience with Taurus' products has been good, but I stay away from new products, new tech, from them. I have a PT99 (Beretta 92 copy) that is 30 years old. It has consumed a steady diet of hot reloads using max charges of Blue Dot powder and 115 - 125 grain bullets. I put a Wolff spring kit in to lighten the DA pull, which I rarely use.
I also have a Raging Bull 44 Magnum, 8 inch barrel and Burris dot sight. It had a smooth DA pull and excellent SA trigger out of the box. It reliably takes deer and I loaned it to a friend who took an elk with it out west somewhere. (Can't remember the state)
My son has a Taurus 1911 and it works fine. These are all tried and true designs by other manufactures. It seems to be their little guns that are a problem. Although I hated their foray into Colt SAA territory. Even though they might have been OK mechanically they looked like they were finished with gloss black spray paint.
I have heard about nothing but trouble with their .22 and .25 autos and the Model 85 revolver, and would stear clear of those.
Old May 16, 2017, 07:11 AM   #42
Real Gun

Love me, love my Taurus.

Kind of like I am done with S&W, Ruger, Lipsey's, et al. Given automation, political influence, and off shore manufacturing, the guns will never be like the old ones. People expect prices they like and then complain about quality.
Old May 17, 2017, 01:02 PM   #43
PlatinumCore16

Also a PT709 owner here, and mine has been great, though recently I bought a couple of bulk boxes of 9mm from wally world and the Federal jammed several times. Bought a box of 50 thinking it might have been the batch, but it still jammed several times.

To say I'm not concerned would be wrong, but I am not worried about it because it has always functioned 100% with everything else I've fed it, including hand loads.

The only thing I'm mad about is that I bought it for $400+ back in 2012 and it now sells for $182 on buds
Old May 17, 2017, 01:10 PM   #44
JoeSixpack

last I knew the federal 9mm at wally world was loaded light. (it's actually a special load just for walmart)
Have you shot that ammo before in the 709? could be the problem.

I picked up one last month but haven't made it to the range with it yet.
It's my 4th Taurus and while I had problems with Taurus nothing serious enough to send anything in.

Overall I like Taurus but they've discontinued a lot of models I intended to eventually buy :/
Old May 17, 2017, 09:48 PM   #45
Prof Young

Cheapshooter - The plastic insert is . . .

Cheapshooter - If you go to the PT-22 owners manual on line, and look at the exploded view, the "plastic insert" is part 19.

Given the exploded view you posted we can only assume that there are differences in the PT-22 depending on the year of the make.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old May 17, 2017, 10:56 PM   #46
50 shooter

I didn't see in his post where he said that you and others that posted your experiences liars.

But your post comes off as being hostile because he said he didn't have any problems with his and a friend. Every time there's a Taurus thread, people can't wait to dogpile on all the negative comments, even the ones that don't even own a Taurus!

On top of all that, the OP's gun was used when he bought it! So we don't even know what kind of condition it was in from the previous owner.

I've owned two Taurus guns, never had a problem with either one. I've had friends that owned them also and never saw them have trouble. I do know that ALL gun manufacturers have problems with some of their firearms and that's a FACT!

Notice how no one was called a liar? I think more people get caught up in the mob mentality when it comes to Taurus and yeah, if I paid money for a new firearm and it had problems I would be pissed off also. You also have to remember that not everyone buys a Taurus and has problems.
No time for rearranging.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:05 AM   #47
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
last I knew the federal 9mm at wally world was loaded light. (it's actually a special load just for walmart)
Have you shot that ammo before in the 709? could be the problem.
I did shoot some "American Eagle" before and all of that cycled. I'll check the specs on the box of Wally Federal and see if it's any different. It only fails as a failure to extract and sticks halfway into the chamber. Would a light load do that? I thought it would mean the chamber/case was rough, or the extractor is worn out, but it cycles everything else just fine and it hasn't seen more than a 1000 rounds(I think).
Old May 18, 2017, 04:16 PM   #48
JoeSixpack

Well this was years ago.. I've not bought any ammo from walmart since this last shortage, so maybe they don't even sell it anymore.. i'll have to peek in and look next time im there.

The box was marked federal (premium) I think, not the usual "American Eagle"
the item# was "WM5199"

The box even warned about using in guns that are ported and such because it was loaded a bit lighter then usual.

I contacted ATK back when WM started stocking it and they confirmed it was exclusive to walmart.

Anyway ya if you have a light load it could easily cause extraction problems and stove pipes, that would probably be the #1 problem i'd guess.

The stuff shot fine for me but I think I only ever bought maybe 4 boxes of the stuff.
Old May 18, 2017, 06:13 PM   #49

I own two Taurus's. One is a .22LR revolver and the other a heavy-barrel .38 Special. Both are SS.

The .38 is quite nice and feels good in my hand. And, it shoots very well. But, I still don't and won't carry it for protection.

I just don't trust Taurus.
Old May 22, 2017, 05:05 PM   #50
Recoil spring

I have owned 4, my sister has one.

Back around 1999, I bought 4 Taurus handguns. A Beretta 92 copy, was OK, not very accurate. Their small blued .22 double action revolver, with 4" barrel, the Model 85 in .38 special, stainless steel, and a 6" barreled blue double action revolver with ported barrel, in .357 magnum.

What caused me to sell them was that the revolvers were all slightly out of time, but accurate. The Beretta 92 copy seemed to be on the soft side concerning the aluminum frame, and on all the revolvers, the steel definitely was soft, they were wearing faster than they should have. Also, the hammers were sloppy on when they were released, were hitting the frame on each side, not terribly, but not as well fitted as a Smith and Wesson or Ruger.

My sister was getting stalked so I had her buy a new Taurus stainless steel revolver that was a copy of the S/W K frame with short barrel. It was finished a bit rough, but she rarely shoots it, keeps it for home defense and it has served her well. I shot it, it seemed just fine.

We never sent our guns back to do warranty work as they just plain worked. About that time I was reading of all the horror stories of their bad quality and lousy customer service, decided to sell them all. The blued .357 was sold to a fellow gun club member, for some reason he just glared at me in anger whenever we had club functions, I could not understand why, but the gun I sold him must have misbehaved. He was too shy to approach me, and I am a large man too. He got a good deal on a working gun.

Too afraid to buy another Taurus, but it does cross my mind.