The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 24, 2010, 08:00 AM   #1
dontcatchmany

Multiple zeros on a scope?

I have a rifle with a cheap Bushnell scope.

I also want to shoot basically three bullet weights. But, the groupings are pretty much different for each weight. The weights are 85 gr, 100 gr and 120 gr.

Do any of you have different zeros on your scopes for this type of stuff?

How do you do it and what scope do you use.

My ranges of shooting are 100-300 yds but mostly about 150 or 200.

The scope I have has no real way to mark or remember(dial in) scope settings if I were to want to shoot different weight ammo with this scope.

Of course I could just get three guns...

Again, thanks in advance!
Old September 24, 2010, 08:17 AM   #2
zoomie

You could get a mil-dot/TMR/mil-hash (or MOA equivalent) reticled scope and know that you have to hold other than the crosshair for your zero. Or you could get a scope with high quality repeatable click turrets and write down the zero for each load.

But really, I think you're stuck with zeroing with one load, shooting it, then rezeroing at the range for a new load. Any other way will likely confuse the issue and very well could end in a miss at an important time. I have a NF scope with very good repeatable click turrets, so I could figure out "Ok, so to go from the 120 to 140gr load, I have to click up X and left Y." But I'd still shoot it at the range to verify zero before taking an important shot, so why bother with trying to keep it straight? Just go rezero.
Old September 24, 2010, 08:20 AM   #3
jmr40

3 scopes in QD mounts.

Personally, I'd settle on one good 100 grain bullet and call it good.
Old September 24, 2010, 08:56 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

The technical solution is buying a Nightforce scope with a zero stop, sight it for the 80 gr at 100 yards, and learn the clicks for the offsets for the heavier bullets. Unfortunately, that means you're out of 1.8k and need a click sheet the size of a toilet paper roll for all the different trajectories.
Even three decent cheap scopes (lets say Redfields) with three QD mounts sets you back 600. I'd pick the best shooting weight and call it good.
Old September 24, 2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Jim Watson

The only thing I can think of is a better scope with graduated and repeatable adjustments. It need not be as expensive as a Nightforce. Leupold is good and one of the minor brand tackytickle scopes might work well enough.
Old September 24, 2010, 10:19 AM   #6
taylorce1

Kahles Mulit Zero rifle scope would solve all your problems, and it is as expensive as the NF scope already mentioned. You don't need a NF or Kahles scope to get it done but you do need a quality scope with repeatable adjustments. You could probably just get a Bushnell Elite 3200, Leupold VX II, or Nikon Buckmasters with target turrets and zero it to your 100 grain bullets. Then build a cheat sheet on MOA adjustments to elevation and windage for the 85 and 120 grain bullets. But the scope has to have repeatable adjustments or you are just wasting lead.

Quote:
Personally, I'd settle on one good 100 grain bullet and call it good.
This is probably the best recommendation of them all. I'm guessing you are shooting a quarter bore of some kind based on your grain choices. Find one bullet and stick to it and that will make your life much easier. If you decide to varmint shoot and want to use the 85 grain bullets then rezero before you go on your shoot. Same thing for a heavier bullet if you want to hunt bigger game.
Old September 24, 2010, 10:31 AM   #7
azredhawk44

Get a couple of Stony Point scope turret knobs. This will make it easy and convenient to adjust your scope without taking off covers or finding a screwdriver or coin.

Sight in for the 100gr load.

Shoot the 85gr load. Note the difference in impact. Do the math. Write it down or memorize it. Adjust scope.

Go back to the 100gr setting. Shoot the 120gr load. Note the difference in impact. Do the math. Write it down or memorize it. Adjust scope.

Leave your rifle on the 100gr setting whenever you put it away for the day.

You're probably only looking at about 2 MOA difference between all the loads anyways, unless you're shooting more than 250 yards.
Old September 24, 2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Major Dave (retired)

What zoomie said.

But the key to doing that successfully is a scope that is capable of accurately and consistently repeating prior settings.

For me, (I have two Leupold equipped rifles, and one Pentax Lightseeker scope), my scopes are capable enough. One problem I have is REMEMBERING the settings for each load of each caliber. I need to write it down, using the most frequently used load for each rifle as the setting I return to, then go from there to whichever other load I decide to use.

Example: .270 WSM
"Base" load = Rem Core Loct 130 grain, is the "zero" I always return to. It's about the cheapest to buy, and easy to find in stores.

Other zero's I haven't yet established include:
Winchester Supreme Elite 130 gr XP3
Winchester Supreme 130 gr Ballistic Silvertip
Winchester Power Max Bonded 130 gr PHP
Winchester Super X 150 gr Power Point
Winchester Supreme 140 gr Fail Safe
Federal Power Shock 130 gr Soft Point
Federal Premium 110 gr Barnes Tipped Triple Shock
Federal Fusion 150 gr

As you can see, the zero's range from 3,500 fps MV (110 gr), to 3,250 fps (130 gr), to 3,150 fps (150 gr). And don't forget the 140 gr Fail Safe's. They have a unique zero of their own. (But are out of production).

Also, within each weight class there are different bullet shapes (ballistic co-efficients), different bearing surface configurations, different meplat configurations, etc. Can I throw in different prices - from $30 to $55 a box.

I think, upon further reflection, that I need to simplify my life by choosing one bullet of each weight (and price range, and bullet construction type ), that shoots the best groups in my rifle. I haven't done that yet.

As another issue, note how many different loadings are available for this member of the WSM family (there are several more that I haven't bought yet). This variety of available ammo leads me to believe that .270 WSM is a viable caliber that is here to stay.

But that's another post, isn't it?!
Old September 24, 2010, 08:14 PM   #9
smith357

I have a 50, 75, 100yd zero for my .22lr, I keep the settings marked down in red paint on the elevation knob of the scope.