The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 1, 2015, 10:31 AM   #26
MarkCO

If Chris Costa put his name to it, it would outstrip IDPA and USPSA. It is all about marketing, not the actual game, when it comes to getting things going.

I am actually working on a new shooting sport. When someone (or a corporation) with big money, savvy marketing and a goal sets a path, it is pretty amazing what can occur. Also, when the "training for a gunfight" monikers are set aside, the non-endemic sponsors are willing to be involved.

One of the better marketing minds in the shooting sports told USPSA and IDPA that dropping the "gunfighter" association would help. While I am glad that did not occur, the path does seem clear that a pure target shooting sport can have a great impact bringing in new shooters, some of which will then transfer over to other competition sports. That has been the goal of Rimfire Challenge since the inception.
Old October 1, 2015, 10:39 AM   #27
g.willikers

If the method of scoring is to be changed, how about incorporating zero score for not neutralizing the target?
Like at least one hit in the highest scoring zone, or at least two in the second to highest, for example.
Or maybe bonus points for hitting a score zone representing the spine or some other hard to hit part of the target.
As long as the scoring is being changed, why not get serious about it?
Might even be the foundation of that new sport mentioned?
Old October 1, 2015, 12:33 PM   #28
str8tshot

I would like to see the sport Colion Noir tried to introduce to the world with his Athletic Shooting. The idea of competing against others in both athletic ability and speed sounds like a lot of fun, and doesn't carry the baggage of any previous sport. I watched his YT vids with guys like Pincus and Haley. The thing that differentiates it from IDPA and USPSA is you cannot advance without the appropriate number of hits.
Old October 1, 2015, 02:16 PM   #29
g.willikers

^^^ - A very limited pool of participants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-_stmtteds
Look around the next time you're at the range or even a match.
Shooting is still something attainable even when ya' can no longer do other things - or never could.
Old October 1, 2015, 02:20 PM   #30
Jim Watson

Seems like there are so many people who want to change IDPA.
They may or may not like the Joyce Scoring System, but they want to change SOMETHING. Maybe so they can win.

I am content with it as is and suggest you fold such notions into The Next Big Match.

Contact MarkCO, he says he has one in the works.

I hardly know who Chris Costa is, maybe this generation's Larry Vickers... or Jeff Cooper. OK, get his autograph on your target and go with it.
Old October 1, 2015, 02:24 PM   #31
MarkCO

Jim, the sport I am working on is new, but nothing like IDPA, and heck, I am not even eligible to compete in it.
Old October 1, 2015, 02:42 PM   #32
Jim Watson

Still, new is good, we can only hope it sells.
I don't know how or why you would write yourself out of the rules, though.
Old October 1, 2015, 02:45 PM   #33
MarkCO

It is for amatuer shooters only...so the winners will not be the people you are currently seeing wearing jerseys and placing high in matches. I am pretty excited about it and what it will do for the sport, but completely off the IDPA topic, so I will stop there.
Old October 1, 2015, 02:52 PM   #34
Jim Watson

Well, start a new thread as soon as you are willing to describe.

I agree, those guys with the laundry list of vendors on their shirts just kind of set my teeth on edge, But if somebody wanted to sponsor me and put their patch on my vest next to the Team Mediocre logo, I would probably change my tune. I wonder why I haven't heard from anybody on that.
Old October 4, 2015, 04:02 PM   #35
Nick_C_S

I guess the change bodes well for my slow/accurate shooting style with my revolver.

But it's not going to change the way I play or whether or not I attend the matches. I'm still going to go and have fun; just as always.