The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Creek Henry

12 ga reloading question

I dunno if this is the right place for this question but here goes.

I am reloading some 12 gauge for rabbit hunting. since I moved recently, all of my reloading stuff is in boxes buried in a storage unit so I can't get to it. However, I'm playing around with unloading unfired shells and reloading them with B shot.

Here's the question, once I cut off the top crimp of the shell, and put in my shot what is a good means of securing the shot cup? I'm going to try loctite which is a blue tacky material but I don't think it will survive the recoil in a magazine tube and the pellets may become loose. What else should I do?
Old September 28, 2019, 03:26 PM   #2
eastbank

I would just buy a bulk 100 round pack at Walmart for 22.00 dollars, until I got my loading equipment set up.
Old September 28, 2019, 03:47 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Henry View Post
I dunno if this is the right place for this question but here goes.

I am reloading some 12 gauge for rabbit hunting. since I moved recently, all of my reloading stuff is in boxes buried in a storage unit so I can't get to it. However, I'm playing around with unloading unfired shells and reloading them with B shot.

Here's the question, once I cut off the top crimp of the shell, and put in my shot what is a good means of securing the shot cup? I'm going to try loctite which is a blue tacky material but I don't think it will survive the recoil in a magazine tube and the pellets may become loose. What else should I do?
"...Playing around" is about right. I cannot imagine of any serious and knowledgeable hand loader doing what you are doing (cutting a factory shell open and replacing the shot with a different size). If you don't know what you are doing, don't!
Aside from that, there is no such thing as "B" size shot...so I will assume you mean "BB". If that is what you are doing, I don't know of any rabbit hunters who use shot size that large for rabbits (cotton tails anyway).
Old September 28, 2019, 04:36 PM   #4
Creek Henry

Thank you for the input... It is very helpful.
Old September 28, 2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Dufus

If you actually "cut off the crimp" then you have ruined the shotshell.
Old September 28, 2019, 07:22 PM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Henry View Post
Thank you for the input... It is very helpful.
In case you did not get my drift, there are old hand loaders and there are bold (read, "foolish") hand loaders, but there are no old and bold hand loads...not with all their fingers anyway. What you are thinking about doing is foolish if not outright dangerous.
Old September 29, 2019, 02:59 PM   #7
Rob228

I think I would pay the 8.99 (ish?) for a box of #6 shot rather then try what you are doing. BB sized shot on rabbit seems over the top.
Old September 29, 2019, 03:09 PM   #8
MTT TL

Unless they are those giant German bunnies I wouldn't go any higher than Bird #2. Bird #6 is probably going to be better. BB rounds tend to vaporize small game and leave no usable meat or pelt. Useful for pest control but much less so for bunny hunts.
Old September 29, 2019, 04:07 PM   #9
Creek Henry

Texas Jack's, esp fall ones, laugh at your #6 shot. Seriously, those guys are big and tough and require a lot of killing. #2 works well but I'm trying some different things.
Old September 30, 2019, 05:50 PM   #10
stuckinthe60s

holy cow......
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old September 30, 2019, 06:11 PM   #11
SHR970

Quote:
dahermit wrote:Aside from that, there is no such thing as "B" size shot...so I will assume you mean "BB".
And you would be incorrect. B=.17" BB=.18" and BBB = .19" and you can buy all three sizes @ BPI. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Le...t/products/65/
Old September 30, 2019, 06:15 PM   #12
SHR970

Here's the question, once I cut off the top crimp of the shell

Stop, you have already gone too far. If you MUST alter factory shells open up the crimp and replace the shot with an equal weight of B shot although you may have to remove some pellets due to the size difference so you can get the crimp closed again. Chemically closing a cut shell is both a waste of time and dangerous.
Old September 30, 2019, 08:06 PM   #13
FITASC

IF the shell doesn't have that heat sealed crimp like some Winchesters do, you could take a drywall screw and insert and open the crimp; but then you'd have to find a way to recrimp the hull.

If you cut it off at the very top, you could do a roll crimp with an overshot card but you'd need the right tool for that.

Best advice is just go buy some ammo in the shot size you need. Academy Sports has free shipping over $25, so buy a few boxes and go hunting
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 30, 2019, 09:24 PM   #14
Blindstitch

Holy Jesus don't do it. The only time I ever heard of anyone doing what you're suggesting having a good outcome is a guy I met who was going to do some turkey hunting.

He was at the store staring at turkey loads and telling me he wanted to cut the shells to make his own formula. I told him to hold on and explain. Eventually he got to his and the only point. He was a black powder shooter and the bag of shot he ordered for his pedersoli muzzleloader wasn't going to arrive in time.

Just buy a good box of shells for now.
Old October 23, 2019, 10:28 PM   #15
Creek Henry

A quick update... Ty for the screw suggestion to open up a crimp... Very easy and helpful. I finally got to test all versions of my reloads and they worked very well. They threw great patterns (esp with a full choke) and cycled my guns flawlessly. The B shot and duplex loads were a varmint slegehammer out to 50 yards at least... That's as far as I shot game with them. Your concern is warming and sincere so I was very careful. But, I figured it all out and it turned out well.
Old October 25, 2019, 07:41 PM   #16
Doug Lee

I learned alot, thanks
Doug. . .