The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 20, 2020, 12:57 PM   #1
stagpanther

Axis rebuild

I recently worked on a 270 Weatherby magnum which I fell in love with, but affordable options for buying one seem very limited. I have some parts from an old axis lying around, so decided to do a build in 270 win (and was also egged on by other forum members, I might add), theoretically all I need to do is replace the bolt head and barrel. This is the original Tupperware stock which I ground out and filled with marinetex and filled the grip and comb area with another stiffener as well. It's still very lightweight.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2739.jpg (81.6 KB, 327 views)
Old February 21, 2020, 12:04 PM   #2
stagpanther

Barrel come in today along with some of the parts for bolt rebuild. Forgot to order the headspace gages so I won't be able to do assembly til next week. McGowen's #4 profile which they call a medium sporter is a lot thicker (heavier) than I thought it would be, so additional work on the barrel channel will probably need to be done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2740.jpg (76.9 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; February 22, 2020 at 03:23 AM.
Old February 21, 2020, 02:54 PM   #3
std7mag

Sure, now i find out that you had an Axis action laying about!

Had i known that i would have offered to buy it from you long ago..
You don't have another laying around, do ya?

I need one for a range gun build.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 21, 2020, 05:11 PM   #4
stagpanther

Errrr...t'aint that expensive, what's stopping you from buying one? Admittedly, the barrel alone cost more than the entire original rifle did. I thinkthat's all I have, I had other axis rifles but had to sell them years ago when I was perilously close to going bankrupt. You know you're desperate when you have to sell your firearms--other gun guys smell blood and will talk you down to so far you'll be lucky too get a quarter for each dollar you spent.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 21, 2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old February 21, 2020, 05:15 PM   #5
stagpanther

Found a bag in one of my drawers--and it had a Tinmney replacement trigger--forgot I had one--score! Bolt went together OK though it took me a while to figure out how to do the Mississippi two-step and convert a 110 short action bolt head into a axis long-action bolt head. Ground the channel back a bit and assembled for preliminary fit and function check, lookin sweet so far. The only downside so far is I've added up the weight of the components and it looks like the rifle all-up will be around 9.5 lbs +/-.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2741.jpg (49.6 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; February 21, 2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old February 21, 2020, 11:33 PM   #6
std7mag

Sure, kick a guy in the coconuts when he's down.

"Had a Timney trigger in a bag that you forgot you had!".

Old February 22, 2020, 03:02 AM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
"Had a Timney trigger in a bag that you forgot you had!".
That's another way of saying I need to seriously consider reorganizing and expanding my shop space and getting better organized--I literally don't know what I have in parts and typically have to go on a "parts safari" to see what I have, often ordering new parts when I already have them--growing the parts collection even more. Old age is taking it's toll on my feeble memory too.
Old February 22, 2020, 07:53 AM   #8
Nathan

Like it....I’m in to see the groups.

Jard makes their Savage Centerfire Trigger System that gets you an honest target trigger in one!!
Old February 22, 2020, 08:25 AM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
Jard makes their Savage Centerfire Trigger System that gets you an honest target trigger in one!!
I'm a big fan of Jard--have at least a dozen of their triggers installed on various firearms. I just happened to find this old Timney trigger, and it still crisply breaks at around 2 lbs so what the heck. I also have an old SWFA fixed mag scope which I'm pressing back into service. Although it has several shortcomings, the overall scope value at it's price point is unbeatable in my experience.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 22, 2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old February 22, 2020, 05:39 PM   #10
std7mag

Shoulda gotten a 45 Colt chambering...

Old February 22, 2020, 06:02 PM   #11
stagpanther

I still might. I'll be famous.
Old February 24, 2020, 11:50 AM   #12
stagpanther

Stupid is as stupid does

The headspace gages came in and it only took a few minutes to get the barrel torqued on. Meanwhile, the scope base and rings which I ordered guaranteed 2nd day air last Thursday are still MIA. Looking at UPS's detailed view the scan path looks the same as regular ground--unless maybe they contract out to home RC fliers maybe?
Old February 24, 2020, 03:20 PM   #13
stagpanther

Scope base and rings still hadn't arrived, and I was burning with curiously, so I went out and did a "naked" test fire with winchester 150 powerpoint at 100 yds.

Functioning seems perfect.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2747.jpg (83.2 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2748.jpg (99.5 KB, 196 views)
Old February 24, 2020, 05:16 PM   #14
sako2

Now load that brass up with some 7828 and 140gn pills.
Old February 24, 2020, 05:40 PM   #15
stagpanther

Leupold base and vortex rings finally came in this afternoon. Fist time I've used the vortex rings--very well made--very little lapping was needed to get them to true.

Ready to rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2750.jpg (74.7 KB, 196 views)
Old February 24, 2020, 06:01 PM   #16
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Leupold base and vortex rings finally came in this afternoon. Fist time I've used the vortex rings--very well made--very little lapping was needed to get them to true.

Ready to rock.
You got that scope mounted high enough?
Old February 24, 2020, 06:02 PM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
Now load that brass up with some 7828 and 140gn pills.
My "break-in" load is going to be 129 LRX's driven by Hybrid 100V. I did some test loads with the new 6.5 staball on my 6mm creed yesterday and I was immediately slapped in the face--the accuracy potential was clearly beyond my shooting technique at the moment. There's some recipes for 270 win as well, so that will be next.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6mmCreed108ELDM41.4staball.jpg (90.4 KB, 191 views)
Old February 24, 2020, 06:10 PM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
You got that scope mounted high enough?
I know, right? As is it clears the bolt handle by maybe 1/8th of an inch. Center of bore to center of scope is 2"--might be an "optical conclusion."

Last edited by stagpanther; February 24, 2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old March 31, 2020, 05:57 PM   #19
stagpanther

140 hybrid with 6.5 staball, works well but still needs some "tweaking." I continue to be very impressed with the performance of 6.5 staball powder--extra velocity without pressure run-up and excellent accuracy.

Here you can see the scope isn't as high as it looks on the photo above.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 270win 140 berger hybrid 53.1 6.5staball.jpg (94.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2844.jpg (229.2 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; April 1, 2020 at 04:28 AM.