The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 17, 2020, 09:59 PM   #1
kilotanker22

30 MOA EGW rail for Savage 110

Hello all, I recently purchased a new Savage 110 Tactical Desert. I have finally settled on which optic is going to be fitted to this. I am putting a Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50 on it. For this particular project I am trying to get as much of the optics internal adjustment as possible to be available.

The rifle comes with a 20MOA EGW rail already, But I am prepared to purchase another rail to get to the bottom of the adjustment and just put the 20 MOA rail onto one of my other Savage rifles.

Question is this: The maximum internal elevation adjustment for the optic is 65MOA. Will 30MOA be too much built in adjustment? Will I still likely be able to zero very close to the bottom of the adjustment without running out of adjustments for the actual zeroing process?

The reason for this thread and discussion is that I intend to attempt to shoot this rifle at 1 mile. With my load My approximate elevation adjustment is 83 MOA .Now, with a 20MOA Rail I estimate that I will have around 45-55 moa of vertical adjustment. I have around 30MOA of holdover in the reticle.

Now I know that the most sensible solution is to buy an optic better suited to that task, but right now my budget doesn't allow for the extra cost of a more expensive optic. The 30 MOA EGW rail is only $69....

Any advice? I just need to know that with Holdover and elevation adjustment I will have enough to get there. That is really what matters to me.

I also know that there are better calibers than 6.5 Creedmoor to fit this task, but I already have it and I don't see the hurt in trying.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 17, 2020, 10:04 PM   #2
kilotanker22

Hahaha, I really want a reason to build a 300 PRC or 338 Lapua. My wife told me if I can get my Creedmoor on target at 1 mile then I can set money aside for another build. Since the reason I gave her for a new build is thaat I want to be able to make hits that far away.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2020, 01:44 AM   #3
std7mag

Yeah, 32.5 MOA doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for a 30 MOA rail.
How many MOA in the reticle?

Wait!!!
This is a SFP???
Back out of your zoom a little.

The nice thing about an EGW basse is they are kinda tall. Low rings will still clear a 50mm objective.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 18, 2020, 02:42 AM   #4
stagpanther

I was with ya until I saw Creedmoor--your real problem is that the bullet is going transonic well before a mile.
Old February 18, 2020, 02:44 AM   #5
kilotanker22

If I go with the 4-16x44 Viper HST it has 75 MOA of internal adjustment. The reticle has 30 MOA of holdover.

I was considering the 4-16, because if I were to back down to 8 power I could double the amount of hold over in the reticle. I am pretty sure that at 8 power I should be able to see a 2 MOA target at 1 mile. I also chose second focal plane, because I want to be able to see the entire reticle throughout the magnification range.

I am not incredibly fond of first focal plane scopes with higher magnification.

I guess I could attempt this with the Savage 110 High Country I just bought. Maybe that 6.5PRC would help with the trajectory. Although I would likely have the barrel burnt out by the time I got to a mile with that rifle.
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2020, 02:55 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
Although I would likely have the barrel burnt out by the time I got to a mile with that rifle.
I have some barrel-burners too, people make a big deal out of that. I was reading an article about a champion shooter who was out shooting with a friend and his custom overbore rig started started overheating and his buddy warned him he was going to screw it all up. The guy responded with something along the lines of "You know what? as we speak dozens of barrel makers are making replacement barrels!"
Old February 18, 2020, 03:01 AM   #7
kilotanker22

I have a 300 win mag that I can push 3000 fps with a 200 grain eldx. I would imagine I could get a 220 grain eld to 2850. If I could get a load like that to shoot that would still be supersonic just past a mile. I hate the thought of putting all those rounds through an 8.5 pound setup. Recoil starts getting to be uncomfortable with those bullets. For me, it's too much in that rifle to sit and shoot for too many rounds.
– St. Augustine

Last edited by kilotanker22; February 18, 2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old February 18, 2020, 03:06 AM   #8
kilotanker22

If I can get 2950 with a 147 eldm bullet from my 6.5 PRC that bullet would go subsonic basically at a mile.
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2020, 03:20 AM   #9
stagpanther

I haven't shot at a mile yet--so I can't give you any real advice based on experience on that other than I'd go for the heaviest bullet with the highest SD/G7 BC that I could. Given your choices I might go with the 300 win mag-- get a good brake and the recoil is negligible. I know everyone loves Vortex scopes, I'd look around carefully for the best value scope you could since that will literally have a direct impact on your shooting at that distance. Go over to sniper's hide and ask there. They can play rough over there so don't be surprised if you get some snarky comments--but there is tons of really good info on long distance shooting there.

You didn't tell your wife a good scope might end up costing several times as much as the rifle by any chance, did you?

Quote:
I am not incredibly fond of first focal plane scopes with higher magnification.
I am. That's when the extra money in good glass, reticle and tracking pay off.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 18, 2020 at 03:41 AM.
Old February 18, 2020, 08:46 AM   #10
kilotanker22

For me, it's most likely gonna be Bushnell, Vortex or US Optics. All of which give pretty sweet discounts for LE/Military.
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2020, 09:07 AM   #11
kilotanker22

Now if I decided to only scope one of the two rifles I just bought, I could maybe buy a better optic. I was really considering this optic here with 46 MRAD of internal adjustment. Thats around 150 MOA.

The price for the optic is around what both optics i have selected already would cost.

https://www.ritonoptics.com/product/x7-conquer-3-18x50/
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2020, 09:35 AM   #12
stagpanther

That's a good looking scope--it gives you "on-the-fly" hold-over/under and side hold should you need it--the principal advantage of the 2nd focal plane IMO is that it doesn't scale down the reticle as you up the magnification. Search around for the reputation of the glass clarity at high magnification and how well the mechanics track--all the magnification in the world won't do you any good if the scope is weak in those areas IMO. In that price range I'd be tempted by a good x24 max mag scope if I was thinking routinely shooting way out there--but x18 certainly is doable. I'm sure there must be some shooters on here someplace that shoot way long--I'd drift down to the competition shooting thread and ask there; maybe the likes of Mr Hubel on "king of 2 mile thread" might give you some advice.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 18, 2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old February 18, 2020, 09:55 AM   #13
ocharry

hey kilo,,,,i dont want to change the subject here but i will say that if you bought these two rifles this month,,,February,,,savage has a $100 rebate on the 110 tactical and if i remember right $75 on the high country,,,,you may already know this ,,,but if you dont,,,there it is,,,,extra money for better glass for the task

go to savage web sight at the bottom of the home page where the list is you will find a rebate page

just thought i would let you know ,,,,maybe you already did know but just in case

OK,,,,you boys CARRY ON

ocharry
Old February 18, 2020, 11:00 AM   #14
Bart B.

Most scopes have more adjustment clicks up and right from optical zero. And the reticle usually stops moving several clicks before the mechanical limits are reached. Windage adjustment range is sometimes less at the extremes of elevation.

It would be nice if scope company specs listed the actual usable range in all directions from the optical zero (center of the outside main tube and from objective and eyepiece lens centers. They don't so we need to be aware of that.

Last edited by Bart B.; February 18, 2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old February 18, 2020, 11:18 AM   #15
std7mag

You could also ask on the, cough otherforum cough...

Old February 18, 2020, 11:41 AM   #16
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry View Post
hey kilo,,,,i dont want to change the subject here but i will say that if you bought these two rifles this month,,,February,,,savage has a $100 rebate on the 110 tactical and if i remember right $75 on the high country,,,,you may already know this ,,,but if you dont,,,there it is,,,,extra money for better glass for the task

go to savage web sight at the bottom of the home page where the list is you will find a rebate page

just thought i would let you know ,,,,maybe you already did know but just in case

OK,,,,you boys CARRY ON

ocharry
I did know this already. Good looking out though.
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2020, 11:48 AM   #17
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
That's a good looking scope--it gives you "on-the-fly" hold-over/under and side hold should you need it--the principal advantage of the 2nd focal plane IMO is that it doesn't scale down the reticle as you up the magnification. Search around for the reputation of the glass clarity at high magnification and how well the mechanics track--all the magnification in the world won't do you any good if the scope is weak in those areas IMO. In that price range I'd be tempted by a good x24 max mag scope if I was thinking routinely shooting way out there--but x18 certainly is doable. I'm sure there must be some shooters on here someplace that shoot way long--I'd drift down to the competition shooting thread and ask there; maybe the likes of Mr Hubel on "king of 2 mile thread" might give you some advice.
This is exactly why I originally intended a second focal plane optic. 18 power was my first thought also, because the Vortex Viper HST 6-24 power uses 18x magnification for the reticle sub-tensions.

Warranty and service means a lot to me as well as the Value for what I am getting. The manufacturers I am looking at give pretty sweet discounts for Veterans such as myself and all have pretty good service. Glass etched reticles, Low dispersion lenses and excellent warranties. I have watched a few reviews of the lower end Riton optics and they have all been very positive. Tracking seems to be "Riton" (Pun intended). Plu they are a veteraan owned company based in the USA.

I have given severaal Leupold optics consideration, but the price for what I am getting is higher as compared to Vortex and Riton. All of the Nightforce optics are out of my price range for now.
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2020, 05:22 PM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
All of the Nightforce optics are out of my price range for now
I recently got the newly-revamped Leupold 5HD x35 and it is for me the best scope I've ever used; but that's my personal taste. I have a Nightforce too and it's awesome also, it's the x20 SHV and it's 2nd focal plane if you don't want the scaling reticle--'bout a grand less than the riton you're lookin at.
Old February 18, 2020, 09:24 PM   #19
kilotanker22

I guess if I only scope one of the rifles right now, I could also put a Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18 on it. That scope has 100 MOA of Verticle adjustment
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2020, 11:07 PM   #20
std7mag

My Sightron STAC 4-20X50 has 80 MOA adjustment, plus another 20 in the reticle.

Just say'n...

Old February 19, 2020, 02:53 PM   #21
Txhillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I was with ya until I saw Creedmoor--your real problem is that the bullet is going transonic well before a mile.
I shoot both of my 6.5 CM's out to a mile,well actually it's 1793 yards at the range I shoot at. I'm pushing the 143 gr ELD-X right at 2900 fps out of my 26" barrels. I'm going sub sonic around 1500 yards.
Old February 19, 2020, 03:04 PM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
I shoot both of my 6.5 CM's out to a mile,well actually it's 1793 yards at the range I shoot at. I'm pushing the 143 gr ELD-X right at 2900 fps out of my 26" barrels. I'm going sub sonic around 1500 yards.
I never said it can't be done; but the extra "fall" in the trajectory is going to likely be an issue for the OP if he's looking at a limited elevation set-up.