The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 14, 1999, 10:23 AM   #1
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

TO ALL:
Sometime back, someone asked about a Husqvarna pistol. I have located the Model 1907, which is a copy of the FN Browning Model 1903. This pistol was made for the Swedish Army. It is identical in every way to the FN Model. Many wre converted to .380 caliber and imported into the U.S.

HJN
Old May 15, 1999, 10:09 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Husqvarna-made Swedish Model 1907 was a licensed copy of the Browning Model 1903. It was originally chambered for the 9mm Browning Long (the .380 is called the 9mm Browning Short in Europe).

Husqvarna also made the Swedish Model 1940, which was a licensed copy of the Finnish Lahti. It was adopted after the Germans were unable to supply enough of the Swedish Model 39, which was the Walther HP, the predecessor of the P.38.

Jim
Old May 18, 1999, 04:58 PM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

To All:
Am looking for informaion regarding a Husqevarna (sp)revolver. I can't seem to locate it. Can anyone help?

HJN
Old June 2, 1999, 09:05 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Harley,

Sorry to take so long in replying, simple oversight. Husqvarna made two model revolvers for the Swedish military, the 11mm Model 1871, which was a single action, and the 7.5mm Model 1887, which was a DA Nagant design (not the Russian Nagant type). Thousands of the latter were imported into the US in the late '50's and early '60's along with the Swedish Mauser rifles and carbines. Both were also purchased in quantity from the original makers, so guns can be found with both original and Husqvarna markings.

It seems to have been the practice of the Swedish army to review the European arms market, adopt whatever they liked, buy some then work a license arrangement to let either the state arms factory or Husqvarna produce the guns in Sweden.

After the adoption of the M1903 Browning as the Swedish Model 1907 (which Husqvarna also made), Husqvarna modified some Model 1887 revolvers to fire the 9mm Browning Long, a fairly easy job since the M1887 used rod ejection so there was no need for half-moon clips or the like.

The Swedes also adopted a short barrel version of the S&W M&P as their Model 58 for limited issue, but my sources indicate those were bought from S&W; I can't find any record that Husqvarna ever made any.

Hope this helps, however belated.

Jim
Old June 2, 1999, 03:44 PM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

JIM:
In the nick of time. I was about to let my friend know I couldn't find it.

Thanks