The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 23, 2019, 05:54 AM   #26
Hal

labnoti - thank you for that informative post. Chances are, had I decided to ack a gun - I would have uncovered all that -but - you answered my concerns very well - & saved me a bunch of searching.

Quote:
but because there was a non-TSA lock AND no declared checked firearm, they would be pretty obligated to remove the lock and verify no firearm. Is that correct?
No - the issue was - the TSA cut the lock off in order to go through the bag. According to the note left, the search was just random.

I simply got to wondering about what could have happened had I decided to pack a gun & the end result of the TSA cutting off the lock.

(Granted - a soft side case. like the duffle bag, i of absolutely no deterrence to anyone with a sharp blade.)
However - I'm a big believer in the idea that crooks are lazy & even a cheap lock is enough to make them just look somewhere else for easier pickings.

Quote:
BUT how did you remove the battery from a laptop? Didn't know that was easy/possible.
Laptop batteries just slip out by moving a switch that unlocks them. Takes all of 2 or 3 seconds to do. Other electronic devices - not so easy.

Quote:
Consider this, air travel is voluntary. No matter what "otherwise unConstitutional" seeming things they require, your rights are not being violated,
((sigh)) true enough here in 2019....but....had this happened back in 2002 - before years of .gov intrusion/conditioning - you can bet your bottom dollar there would be a far different reaction to what the .gov decides to do.
Old November 23, 2019, 01:17 PM   #27
Onward Allusion

A lithium ion battery is a multitude of times more dangerous than even a loaded firearm in checked-in baggage.

Ever shoot a tiny cell phone battery? I have, at the club when no one was around. Pretty amazing how much energy that little thing generates and for how long. Imagine it going off at 30,000 ft.
Old November 23, 2019, 01:53 PM   #28
JERRYS.

when you choose to fly commercial airlines you submit to their rules of search and conduct.
Old November 24, 2019, 01:24 PM   #29
cjwils

I just returned from a trip by air, and somewhere in the written requirements that go along with getting a ticket was a clear statement that lithium batteries are not allowed in checked luggage. I have always carried my laptop in my carry on bag.
Old November 25, 2019, 09:49 AM   #30
Ricklin

I travel

I've always had those happy feet, I travel a tremendous amount. Both domestically and internationally.

It sucks. That's the best description of airline travel today.

That said, be very aware who you get your info from. A SWA gate agent purposely gave me the wrong procedures to follow, watch out, the anti gun idiots are everywhere. Fortunately the cop they called was a reasonable guy and recognized I got played by the twit gate agent.

My last trip to Japan was about 5 years ago, due to go over again soon. Last trip I brought gifts for our hosts, in keeping with tradition.
Knowing my wrapped gifts would be opened by TSA the wrapping was designed to do so. Untie one ribbon, fold paper back.
Upon arrival in Japan it appeared the gifts were opened by 4 year old kids on Christmas morning. They tore it up so badly I could not salvage the wrapping paper to rewrap the gifts.
I raised heck with TSA upon my return to PDX. I did learn that the TSA management was being replaced as I met the new boss of TSA @ PDX.

At least some TSA employees are thieves, do not put a good knife in the outside pocket of a checked bag.

They are the mall cops of the airport.
Old November 25, 2019, 12:11 PM   #31
bamaranger

inspection

The search of the bag by TSA is better termed an inspection,and is one of the exemptions allowed under the 4th Amendment concerning search and seizure, and not all that different from a border inspection as described by another poster. You want in this country, the gov't can inspect your stuff. You wanna fly, same, same.

I am not an expert on TSA, but suspect if one had packed the gun with all legal compliance, doing so would include declaring at the ticket counter. The bag at that point would have been inspected to confirm the handgun was in an approved locked container within, likely tagged as such, and then NOT selected for a random inspection later.
Old November 26, 2019, 03:52 AM   #32
Double Naught Spy

I checked with a buddy of mine at the TSA. Basically, he said they don't have time for random inspections. They call them "random inspections" because it makes people feel better about the fact that the computer or operator saw something they thought was suspicious and pulled the bag for a closer look. Apparently, people get really insulted about their belongings being suspect, hence the note about it being "random." Anyway, 99% of the scanning is computer controlled and the computer has all sorts of comparative analytical data such that when something shows up that doesn't fit the norms, the bag gets diverted for inspection. Most of the time, there is no issue, but they have to check to verify that there isn't an issue with something that is apparently mimicking a problem material, though once in a while, it is a problem material.
Old November 28, 2019, 12:49 PM   #33
MTT TL

Quote:
If you've checked a bag with a firearm, expect to have to pick it up at the Baggage Service Office, and not off the carousel.
Strange, I have never had this happen.
Old December 1, 2019, 02:33 AM   #34
labnoti

Firearms bags to the BSO is an airline policy, so it will depend on the airline. It is not a TSA or FAA requirement, but it is a popular policy with a lot of airlines and the big ones.