The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 19, 2021, 02:04 PM   #1
Onward Allusion

Thoughts on CZ 457 Jaguar

Thinking about getting one of these as a plinker. I like the fact that it fires 22LR subsonic rounds in the mid 80 dB and regular rounds around 105 dB without the use of a suppressor. Need clarification on whether it comes tapped for ring mounts or if it has a built in rail. Also, if any of you have one, what are your thoughts? Accuracy?
Old June 19, 2021, 05:29 PM   #2
stagpanther

I just took delivery on one, haven't shot it yet. Very well made overall, it comes with a built in "microrail" (meaning you can't mount anything but rings made for it, or Area 419's rail mount, which is what I did). The trigger is a bit heavy for precision work IMO--mine can only be turned down to 2.5 pull at the lightest. Precision fit of the action to the stock is superb.

Old June 19, 2021, 07:26 PM   #3
cslinger

So just a long barrel 45x gun. I have 452 special, which was a longer barreled 452/trainer. All CZ rimfire bolt guns are awesome IMO. As for sound signature shooting something like a super colibri through one is far quieter then most spring air rifles.
Old June 19, 2021, 08:10 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

Micro-rail? Do you mean rimfire dovetail 11mm? Or even smaller than that? Thank you!
Old June 19, 2021, 10:19 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Micro-rail? Do you mean rimfire dovetail 11mm? Or even smaller than that? Thank you!
Yes--the nomenclature is a bit confusing since a dovetail mount on rifles I've always assumed is a slot in which you drift in a ring or sight from the side, their mount requires either rings that are sized for it--or you can fit the area 419 rail onto it which allows you to use regular piccatiny/weaver rings.

I've been spending time exploring the options for lightening the pull--the only game in town I see is the timney which really doesn't get you that much of a lighter pull IMO, otherwise somebody called "Yo Dave' has figured out a replacement spring which requires knocking out the trigger pin from the trigger housing. Seems odd to me that CZ didn't improve the pull weight on the upgraded 457 trigger, but I'm new to 22lr rimfire and CZ's.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 19, 2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old June 22, 2021, 05:38 AM   #6
stagpanther

I did order the yo Dave spring--I really dislike the triggerpull on mine. But I can tell the rifle is inherently accurate, I took a close look at the bore yesterday and it looked the same as a custom cut-rifling hand-lapped bore to me. I think it really likes RS 50 ammo but haven't really shot it enough yet.
Old June 22, 2021, 07:51 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I really dislike the triggerpull on mine.
You can upgrade your trigger fairly inexpensively with something like a YoDave trigger kit. I upgraded by 457 Ultra Lux with an Eric Brooks kit, but I don't think they are made any more.
Old June 22, 2021, 10:18 AM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
You can upgrade your trigger fairly inexpensively with something like a YoDave trigger kit. I upgraded by 457 Ultra Lux with an Eric Brooks kit, but I don't think they are made any more.
Already have a YD spring on the way--like many miracle cures I suspect you can get the same result from a .10 cent hardware store spring, but I am interested in getting that pull weight down significantly.
Old June 23, 2021, 06:35 AM   #9
BCR1

I really liked my 457 American so much that I bought a 455 FS to keep it company in the safe. I was worried I would need a riser base but even at 56mm, the OBJ w/lens cap doesn't touch the barrel using Warne high rings.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0416.jpg (149.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0076.jpg (135.6 KB, 62 views)
Old June 23, 2021, 07:50 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
I really liked my 457 American so much that I bought a 455 FS to keep it company in the safe. I was worried I would need a riser base but even at 56mm, the OBJ w/lens cap doesn't touch the barrel using Warne high rings.
I shoot with the same shooting rest set-up you do, I notice you have a pad of some sort on the foreend where it sits in the cradle, I have a hard time keeping mine from rocking due to the narrowness of the foreend, is that nothing more than a pad or is it somehow adhered to the foreend?

I once shot at a public range in north Georgia that looks exactly like the one in your picture. ; )