The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 15, 2021, 02:55 PM   #1
fumbling

Stainless steel vaquero convertible

I am interested in the 357/38/9mm convertible in high gloss stainless steel for the Vaquero but From what I can see this doesn’t exist? Does anyone know if this configuration exists or why it’s not available? It seems this is available for the SS Blackhawk but not the SS Vaquero.

Last edited by fumbling; June 15, 2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old June 15, 2021, 06:06 PM   #2
ballardw

Just because it isn't currently listed doesn't mean there aren't any. If you note the current Ruger website https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/models.html

lists the .45/.45 ACP as a Davidson's Distributor exclusive. Davidson's, Talo or Lipsey's have done many distributor exclusive models over the years and nigh onto impossible to keep all the options ever made straight.
Old June 15, 2021, 11:51 PM   #3
Laz

I gather you know this but Lipsey’s offered a blued 357/9mm convertible Vaquero. Tyler Gun Works offered a very similar blued and case-colored version. I agree a stainless version would be nice, especially with a short spur or in the SASS configuration.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old June 16, 2021, 12:35 AM   #4
fumbling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
I gather you know this but Lipsey’s offered a blued 357/9mm convertible Vaquero. Tyler Gun Works offered a very similar blued and case-colored version. I agree a stainless version would be nice, especially with a short spur or in the SASS configuration.
Yes, I know the Vaquero 357/38/9mm convertible comes in blue, but I like the high gloss SS finish. I know the Vaquero SS comes in the 45lc/acp convertible, but was surprised that I couldn't find the Vaquero SS in the 357/38/9mm convertible.
Old June 16, 2021, 12:59 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

The Vaquero has been out of production for quite a few years. I have several, both blued and stainless, in .45 Colt. Had one in .44 Mag but traded it for a Super Blackhawk long ago.

The gun in current production, and referred to as "Vaqueros" are not "Vaqueros" they are "NEW VAQUEROS", and they say that on them.

Even though the names are nearly identical, the guns are quite different, The Vaquero was built on the large (44cal size) frame, the same frame size as the new Model Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk, They are large, robust guns, and the origin of Ruger ONLY handloads and Ruger's reputation for being "tanks".

The NEW VAQUERO is a smaller, lighter gun, built on a smaller frame, one which is approximately the size of the Colt Single Action.

Most folks just say "Vaquero" and then its up to you and context to determine which Vaquero they are talking about.

Actual Vaqueros say "Vaquero" on the left side of the frame below the cylinder window. Current production guns say "New Vaquero" in that same spot. They are not the same, parts and accessories are not interchangeable.
Old June 27, 2021, 06:31 AM   #6
smee78

The only problem I could see is not being able to adjust your POA/POI when swapping between the different rounds.
Old June 27, 2021, 02:41 PM   #7
rclark

Quote:
not being able to adjust your POA/POI
Yep. That is why for my Vaqueros (original and New), I have one general purpose load (should say bullet weight and velocity) that I've adjusted the barrel and front sight for. My woods load has ~same bullet weight but a little higher velocity which is close enough to POI at distance I would need to use it.... I'm talking traditional tried and true .45 Colt of course, but would apply as well to the peanut .357/.38 revolver.

BTW, my philosophy, in general for handguns, is to leave the semi-auto cartridges to semi-auto pistols and revolver cartridges (rimmed) to revolvers.... But that is just me.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old June 27, 2021, 05:47 PM   #8
DaleA

Quote:
BTW, my philosophy, in general for handguns, is to leave the semi-auto cartridges to semi-auto pistols and revolver cartridges (rimmed) to revolvers....
My thoughts too with an analogy to the dancing bear, it's not that the bear dances really well, it's that the bear dances at all.