The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 24, 2021, 09:22 PM   #1
AlongCameJones

Which vintage COLT AR-15's are most desirable?

Which years do collectors favor? Which years were the best quality?
Keep America and this planet beautiful. Don't litter. Take the time to find a garbage can. Don't be lazy. Report litterers in to the police. Use peer pressure against those you know who litter. Litter is ugly. Litter hurts animals. Litter injures people. Please pass it on.
Old June 25, 2021, 06:45 AM   #2
imashooter

Despites people's emotional connections and baseless opinions, newer Colts (not sure since acquired by CZ) are likely of equal or better quality of anything produced in the past. And with most anything, the rarer is typically the most collectible though not necessarily the most desirable.
Old June 25, 2021, 07:42 AM   #3
AlongCameJones

Colt customer service over the telephone is virtually non-existent.

I'm inclined to believe if you want a quality AR rifle to actually fire and defend your home, go with one of these "cottage-industry" outfits like Diamondback Firearms and save some money as well.
Keep America and this planet beautiful. Don't litter. Take the time to find a garbage can. Don't be lazy. Report litterers in to the police. Use peer pressure against those you know who litter. Litter is ugly. Litter hurts animals. Litter injures people. Please pass it on.
Old June 25, 2021, 04:53 PM   #4
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongCameJones View Post
Colt customer service over the telephone is virtually non-existent.

I'm inclined to believe if you want a quality AR rifle to actually fire and defend your home, go with one of these "cottage-industry" outfits like Diamondback Firearms and save some money as well.
Calling anyone is non-existent. Try the MVA as a joke.

Colt still makes excellent AR-15 rifles. The after-market stuff is hit or miss.
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor [8 Courses]
Old June 25, 2021, 05:33 PM   #5
highpower3006

Quote:
Despites people's emotional connections and baseless opinions, newer Colts (not sure since acquired by CZ) are likely of equal or better quality of anything produced in the past. And with most anything, the rarer is typically the most collectible though not necessarily the most desirable.
That was pretty much bloviating about a whole bunch of nothing as far as what the OP asked.

To actually answer the question, the most desirable early Colt AR's are going to be the SP1's. Next is going to be pretty much any pre '89 ban and after that I don't have a clue. I have both a SP1 and a preban HBAR, which were acquired many years ago. Neither are ever going to be for sale and are willed to my son.
Old June 26, 2021, 06:56 AM   #6
imashooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower3006 View Post
That was pretty much bloviating about a whole bunch of nothing as far as what the OP asked.

To actually answer the question, the most desirable early Colt AR's are going to be the SP1's. Next is going to be pretty much any pre '89 ban and after that I don't have a clue. I have both a SP1 and a preban HBAR, which were acquired many years ago. Neither are ever going to be for sale and are willed to my son.

1. Jerk
2. OP didn't ask about your safe queens.
Old June 26, 2021, 09:26 AM   #7
JustJake

Quote:
Colt still makes excellent AR-15 rifles.
Ha! Only took 'em, what? - like 40 years?

The early ones were jamm-o-matics back in the 'Nam. Unchromed lined bores and no field cleaning-kits. Uncle Jimmy said the worst day he ever had was when they took away his M14 and gave some black piece of Mattel crap that felt like shooting a .22 rimfire with about the same stopping power on a Commie.

Quote:
The after-market stuff is hit or miss.
Some are, mostly the vendors trying to cut a price-point here and there by departing from Mil-Spec standards. Probably a good bit of Chi-Com-made innards in there too.

The build quality of ARs from the high-tier outfits, like LaRue, BCM, etc., is GTG.

But if it's just a once-in-a-while range toy or a Safe Queen to drool over, ... does it really matter?

Old June 26, 2021, 01:50 PM   #8
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post

The early ones were jamm-o-matics back in the 'Nam. Unchromed lined bores and no field cleaning-kits. Uncle Jimmy said the worst day he ever had was when they took away his M14 and gave some black piece of Mattel crap that felt like shooting a .22 rimfire with about the same stopping power on a Commie.
Incorrect information.
Old June 26, 2021, 07:36 PM   #9
imashooter

Kind of peculiar. The same 1:12 that has been bashed to death was also stated to hit the enemy like a RPG. The "Tumbler". Seems the issues referred to as unreliable have been associated with incompatible ammunition and a less than desirable procurement system.

I do know this. As in any war the rounds expended to dead / wounded enemy ratio ain't a stat worth bragging about however the M16A1 and mods killed a bunch of MFs.
Old June 26, 2021, 07:36 PM   #10
Ignition Override

The "Green Box" Colt AR (1980 vintage) owned by a friend has never had any issue.

Even if it had not commanded such a high price several years ago, he would not sell it.

He left Germany when he was about 21, but loves US-made guns plus his Beretta and Walther P-22.
Old June 26, 2021, 07:39 PM   #11
101combatvet

The SB1 and pre-banned AR-15 are the same quality as any post-banned Colt AR-15. As the story goes once, Colt lost the government contract for M-16 rifles, and M4 carbines quality decreased. This is largely untrue since they were still assembling rifles and carbines with mil-spec parts even after 2018. I'm unsure what they are producing now; however, as of last year, I have tried out one of their M4 carbines, and I see nothing wrong with it, same quality as any on today's market. The lost now shared contract with FN was mainly due to pricing, some management problems, but not quality.
Old June 28, 2021, 07:34 AM   #12
JustJake

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by JustJake
Quote:
Incorrect information.
Totally correct. Uncle Jimmy was there. You weren't even born yet.