The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 28, 2021, 10:22 AM   #51
Ruger45LC

Here in KY I've dispatched several using .40 and .45 shotshells, and they both worked great. The only ones I still have left are .44 shotshells, but as rare as I use them, they'll last forever. That said, I've personally never seen a venomous snake on my property and for the most part if I do see a snake outdoors, I'll leave it be. In the event I find one in the house, which has happened about 3-4 times that I can recall, then sure I'll kill it, but I think I've used a machete more than anything else.
Old May 28, 2021, 10:48 AM   #52
Pahoo

A time and place for Shake-Shot

While Snake-Shot may be a novelty to some folks, they are too expensive and impractical to shoot for recreational purposes. There are times when they come in handy. I am fairly knowledgeable on snakes and most are not harmful to people. However, my wife feels that the only good snake, is a dead snake. If she sees one, in the yard she no longer informs me as she knows I give most of them, a pass. The snake-shot is quite useful, when hunting western states. I no longer hunt out west and still have some left which will probably never get used....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 28, 2021, 06:34 PM   #53
Forte S+W

Where I live, most of the snakes we see are harmless Garters who help keep the rodent population in check. However, I have a little cabin out in the country where Copperheads roam, and whenever I'm out there I bring this along with me.

Taurus Judge Magnum -- A 3" 410 shotshell will make short work of any dangerous snake.

I'd like to see Colt make a .410/.45 Revolver marketed specifically for Snake defense, they could call it the Colt Mongoose, and give it witty tagline like; "When it comes to Snake Guns, leave it to the experts."
Old May 28, 2021, 06:53 PM   #54
Pahoo

.410 Shotshell offers greater service

The OP wrote;
Quote:
Is snakeshot really useful or is it just a marketing gimmick?
Most replies are referring to them. However, a .410-Shotshell is just as valid and even exceeds the purpose or service. I know of a few folks that use and own snakeshot but many more that use .410-Shotshell pistols, most use #6 shot. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old May 31, 2021, 11:32 AM   #55
Drm50

The only times I have been worried about snakes here in USA was when I was in water with Cotton Mouths. I don’t think I had anything to worry about but I didn’t know any better at the time. I’ve had them climb sides of boat. They were just looking for a place to hang out.
They weren’t in attack mode. Ornery snake in these parts is common water snake. There is a college kid with videos on You Tube about snakes and it’s well done. He dispels a lot of these wives tales about snakes. 99.99% of snakes shot are unnecessary. You can’t leave a venomous snake where it will be a danger to people or live stock. Other than that shooting them for no reason is stupid. On top of that most snakes killed are harmless varieties. K
Old May 31, 2021, 12:17 PM   #56
Carl the Floor Walker

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have run across them thousands of times and never once had to shoot one. In the wild it is disgusting to think people kill them for no reason. In the suburbs where I live, you see reports from neighbors all the time, screaming because a Water Moccasin is in the yard. Fact is almost all the time they are harmless water snakes. Even in the swamps, there is a water snake that resembles a Moccasin to the point that it will mimic the same opening of the mouth with the Cotton like look. It is harmless. Every single snake bite reported in the Urban area has been because someone handled on. A kid playing with one was the last time I heard of one. And he had the snake by the throat and it was able to reach around and bite him. Someone has me by the throat, Hell, I would just shoot them.

I have been a avid Runner all my life since a kid, later a competitive runner and coach. I actually moved close to a swamp to run along a trail that was 6 miles out and 6 back. Use to run it twice a day. On season we had some crazy Population explosion of Black Snakes. All along the path I ran on, I would go about every 20 yds and and would step on what looked like a tree branch of about 2-3' long. Just like the other branches that were on the trail. Except this time it would be a Water Black Snake. It was annoying. Every time I stepped on one the dang thing would go crazy and start squirming etc. Not at all dangerous, nor did I even get Bit. It was annoying because I had to keep adjusting my stride every time a Branch came on the trail. I am sure it was more displeasure for the snake. They were just enjoying a good nap in the sun. Minding their own business in their own home.

This is NOT a water moccasin.

In part of the Dismal Swamp DO NOT KILL THIS GUY. you might get a good fine and your Shotgun taken away.

And, it's illegal to kill a snake in Virginia.

"You can dispatch a snake only if it poses a threat to a person or livestock – say, if there’s a copperhead in your garage or a black snake in your chicken coop," said Virginia Wildlife Management and Control.

Illegally killing a snake is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and six months in jail.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 31, 2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old June 1, 2021, 05:44 AM   #57
mpolk

I leave em alone and move around. Remember that if you have snake shot in a semi-auto, it may not cycle the slide. My experience is most of the time it won't.
Old June 1, 2021, 05:46 AM   #58
mpolk

It's also illegal in a national park, and state parks here in Texas.
Old June 1, 2021, 07:40 AM   #59
HiBC

When I was a kid I lived in Texas,Arkansas,and Oklahoma. We had mocassins,copperheads,and rattlers. I've seen some aggression from mocassins. While you are messing with snake #1,snake #2 might be interested in you. But mostly,they all want to slither off. Copperheads can be bad because they will live around your house and they hide where you don't expect them.

I've seen a lot of rattlers in Colorado.

If I run across one in a ranch yard,or behind a shop,or where they represent a real hazard,I'll eliminate the hazard. Snake bites can be an awful experience.

If I'm in a prairie dog town,or walking a trail.etc I just leave them alone. Its really no big deal to walk around a snake. Its easy. Just seeing a snake does not require a confrontation.

I've seen folks go into some primal hysteria over the sight of a snake. I don't get it.

40 years ago,when I still killed them, I figured out to just pin their head,a rifle butt will do,then with my Buck 110,I'd just cut the head off.

If you can't head shoot a snake from 6 feet with a ,22 shooting lead bullets,you ought to get some practice.

Its not hard.

I sometimes walk a trail I expect to hear tails buzzing,and I can generally see two or three rattlers. Part of the scenery.

When I was walking that trail regular I had every chamber of my 44 spl snubby loaded with 200 gr jhp. No snake shot. I saw a mountain lion on that trail who showed no fear of humans. I'm not interested in hunting mountain lions,but I do have a line the lion ought not cross. Scared people can be dangerous.

Last edited by HiBC; June 1, 2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old June 1, 2021, 12:58 PM   #60
Drm50

Local Law used to call me for snakes & bombs. Every time I went on Copper Head call it was a harmless species. Every Time, like 25-30 in 5yrs.
Somebody would be cleaning out Grandpa’s attic and find a “bomb”, closest to that was a live 50 BMG round.
It’s like trees around here. Pine trees and walnuts. If no pine cones or walnuts it’s a maple.
I figure snakes are the same, most people have never seen a Copper Head and there are no Rattlesnake here. So if it isn’t a Copperhead it’s a Blacksnake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old June 2, 2021, 04:27 PM   #61
Rob228

Camp Pendleton night time patrolling, hearing multiple rattles all at the same time. That was scary. But Okinawan centipedes are scarier.