The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 2, 2021, 07:52 PM   #26
Pahoo

I guess I am too picky

Quote:
Can some of you comment on some knives or knife designs you've used and tools that just didn't work for you?
For a number of years now, I prefer sheath knives or finger grooves. my all time favorite is the Puma "White-Hunter". I also prefer a Lock-back or liner-locks. Don't care for Gut-hooks. I still have all my fingers and plenty of scars to boot. ......

I enjoy sharpening and reconditioning blades. I gladly do this work for a number of friends, for no pay but sometimes it is rewarding. Best thank-you I ever got was two quarts of Pickled-Northern that one of the guys wife makes.

I use to do this work for a small group of trappers but they stopped bringing them over when I asked them to clean them before I sharpened them; oh wall ,,

Be Safe !!!
Old January 2, 2021, 08:24 PM   #27
603Country

Back when I gutted deer and hogs, I used my old KaBar when working inside the critter. Now I just skin and debone, using a Browning 3 blade folding knife I got back in the 80’s. It holds an amazing edge. The problem with having the perfect knife for what I need is that, as much as I like knives, I don’t buy more knives.

And sometimes I’ll use my Benchmade Griptilian, but it won’t hold an edge like the Browning.
Old January 2, 2021, 09:19 PM   #28
jimbob86

This year I gutted my deer with a pocket knife my brother gifted me (CRKT "Ignitor" - already lost it!) .... it worked just fine, except cleaning the congealed blood out of it once I got back to camp hours later REALLY sucked big rocks right up off the ground!
Old January 3, 2021, 08:53 AM   #29
Terrierman

I've settled on Buck 119. Big enough to split ribcage and pelvis. Easy to clean.
Always leave gut pile in the woods, get the deer home and hung up and then wash out the cavity with the garden hose.
Old January 3, 2021, 10:34 AM   #30
pete2

Pocket knife for small game. Started with a 6" Puma for deer hunting backed up with a regular 3 blade pocket knife. Changed to a lock back with about a 3" blade, it's all that's needed. Mine are Case and Buck, about any will do. (you won't like the 6", it's one that went to Nam with me).
Old January 6, 2021, 12:36 PM   #31
jackstrawIII

I'm always amazed by how many guys use folding knives to gut/skin deer. Not that they can't do the job (obviously they can), but cleaning them seems like it would be much more hassle than cleaning a simple fixed blade. I'd be very concerned about getting all the blood/fat/bacteria out of all the nooks and crannies.

What do I prefer?

I use one of several simple fixed blades that I made a few years back when I was a knifemaker. My favorite designs all have 3.5-4" blades, with good quality stainless steel, and a waterproof synthetic handle of the micarta/G10 type.

Always been happy with that combination.
Old January 7, 2021, 10:09 AM   #32
reloader28

Unless your gutting a rabbit or squirrel 99% of the gut hooks are useless. I use either the Kershaw blade trader or a Wyoming Knife.

I used to use my Wyoming Saw that I got over 35 years ago, but now its either the Kershaw or a Knapp Sport Saw. The Wyoming Saw works great but its more of a pain to put together compared to the other two.

As was mentioned above, I've always thought folders were a pain to clean
Old January 9, 2021, 12:53 AM   #33
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Was given a bright orange bung hole intestine puller__as a joke. I actually found the puller very useful once I learned how to use properly. I showed those who gave me mine how to use. Today those same fellows won't go into the woods without their pullers. I have since retired mine quite some time ago. "I'm Old school taught." _Back to using a razor sharp {locking} fillet knife and a Wyoming Knife both get the job done for me..