The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 18, 2021, 01:32 PM   #76
stagpanther

Good Luck Garand! (might be worth swapping something higher power off one of your big boy rifles).
Old June 18, 2021, 01:54 PM   #77
hounddawg

Quote:
Good Luck Garand! (might be worth swapping something higher power off one of your big boy rifles).
times 2 , don't know how good your eyes are but that 12 power gave my almost 70 year old eyes a workout yesterday. When I was doing the green monster I had to stop and use some eye drops halfway through
Old June 18, 2021, 02:17 PM   #78
stagpanther

Just came in this morning. I had the area 419 base ready to put on. Trigger is quite stiff so I'll need to adjust that, probably won't get around to setting it up til next week since I'll be working through the weekend.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5135.jpg (144.2 KB, 82 views)
Old June 18, 2021, 02:55 PM   #79
hounddawg

Nice I like that model, pretty wood too. Should be a tackdriver.

I put a Rifle Basix on my American in the AT1 stock, and did some polishing and changed the spring on my trainers trigger. Nice that they are putting adjustable triggers on the newer models
Old June 18, 2021, 03:33 PM   #80
stagpanther

Gave it the once-through look-over, everything looks great--though I don't quite get why the front fiber is angled down into the sight, it won't "light up" as a result and I can't see it.

After popping the action off I got an even better look, the wooden stock is impeccably executed--one of the best I've ever seen. It includes pillars already installed and machined for the two action screws, and rather interesting there's a recoil lug of sorts fitted to seat the action too--it's positioned at the tail end of the action just aft of the safety--never seen that before. The rifle is robust metal throughout--the one and only concession to mass-produced cheapness I can see is the magazine well fitting which appears to be made of plastic. The only thing I found that is a disappointment is that I could only adjust the trigger down to 2.5 lbs--I was hoping a rifle of this quality niche would have a trigger that would go down to at least 1.5 lb pull.

The precision of the fit of the action to the stock is remarkable--at first I thought that I was going to have to at least widen the foreend channel a bit--the gap between the barrel and stock is very small. Yet it is entirely free floated, a remarkable thing that both the right and left sides of the channel are straight and true relative to the stock wall with such a narrow gap.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 18, 2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old June 18, 2021, 07:43 PM   #81
jdc606

My attempt

Here is my entry from this evening. Only printed 5 targets and wish I would have doubled the number. An addictive challenge for sure. The other attachment shows 5 round sighting groups at 50yds. Center-X was most consistent for me. The el-cheapo Blazer performed as well at 50yds but groups did open up twice the size at 100yds when compared to the Eley and Lapua.

There's a lot of luck involved trying to nail a dot compared to trying for a tight group. Got flyers whether it was 25cpr Eley Match or <6cpr Blazer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg challenge 1.jpg (215.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg sighters 1.jpg (165.2 KB, 13 views)
Old June 18, 2021, 08:30 PM   #82
hounddawg

great shooting, just goes to show how much the Indian plays a part in shooting when a $200 Savage shoots as well as a $2500 Annie.

I love my Savage actioned CF's BTW. I even have one tackdriver built off a Stevens 200 action. That one turns some heads at the matches