The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 13, 2021, 12:29 AM   #26
Ignition Override

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-9...oy-14-rd-mags/ P01 dimensions.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-com...ck-14-rd-mags/

"Compact" dimensions.
Old June 14, 2021, 06:07 AM   #27
Kurbsky

P01 is very similar is shape to the bigger SP-01. The COMPACT looks different. I already have SP-01.
Old June 15, 2021, 12:20 PM   #28
wild cat mccane

It seems like all the CZ variations are on the same compact or full sized frame and are just bin parts different or have certain cuts...but all the same.

One has a squished front dust cover (75) and one doesn't (P-01).
One has a rail and one has one cut out and one has 3.
One has a sharp beaver tail and one is straight.
One has the circular cut hammer and one has the straight hammer.
One has this type of safety and one a decocker.
One has blah blah blah...but all really the same frames.

The SP-01 isn't as huge as the internet would believe you to believe. It is huge next to other options though. No way would I carry it. Your talking Beretta 92 sized, but the SP-01 being an inch taller.

Both have that impossible to rack slide that doesn't seem to add any accuracy by any user until you get into more competition CZs SP-01 Shadow, Blue, Orange, II, Bull, and 50 other version at are just one feature different from each other. And those increases in accuracy are just trigger or hammer tunes that has nothing to do with the internal rails.

To say the least, I was underwhelmed with SP-01 Tactical after all the internet rage that is now all but moved onto the Shadow with the X5s gone.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; June 15, 2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old June 15, 2021, 01:11 PM   #29
Kurbsky

Would you carry CZ 75 COMPACT or is it too heavy for you? My CZ 75 SP-01 is kind of heavy but also not very concealable, unless you carry it behind your back. I always wear a strong leather belt.
Old June 15, 2021, 01:22 PM   #30
cslinger

Now I say the following not as a CZ acolyte but as an owner and somebody pretty familiar with a wide range of arms.

-The slides, while not “impossible” to work are an ergonomic issue to contend with.

-Although I don’t preach from the book of Glock about the almighty Providence of bore axis I will say that the combination of bore axis, internal slide rails, and overall ergonomics does lead to more “practical accuracy” with CZ pistols. Most new shooters take to them easily and they are forgiving shooters in general. That doesn’t mean that the low bore and internal slide rails are an absolute must or game changing etc. etc. but I would argue they do increase a shooters practical accuracy potential.

-The SP-01 is a big but thinish gun. Really its a combination of its size and weight, both of which are awesome attributes in the right role………IWB at the mall is not that role. .

As to whether any CZ blows ones proverbial kilt up meh you pays your monies and you find out what works for you. There are literally hundreds if not more great handgun options today ok well there were 2 years ago but you get the point. . CZ makes a great gun that is remarkable both in its intrinsic attributes and its ability to stand the test of time. Its a GREAT gun but not for everybody just like lots of other great guns.

As to the original question I still say a PCR or P01 are VERY GOOD do all, carry guns (across all spectrums/platforms) if one wants something in the CZ platform.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris
Old June 15, 2021, 06:49 PM   #31
Kurbsky

Thank you Chris. I hope your "...VERY GOOD, do all carry guns..." applies to the steel frame models as well. I really like 100% steel guns.
Old June 15, 2021, 07:34 PM   #32
Cosmodragoon

I also like the PCR best here.
Old June 16, 2021, 12:50 AM   #33
Ignition Override

My only CZ handgun is a PCR (75D).

Totally unrelated, but my only centerfire rifle - Besides my imported AKMs is a Czechpoint VZ-58 (CSA).

* Czech quality - no matter which gun it is - is good enough for me.
Both of these are totally reliable (the rifle has used 2,300 rds.: zero issue).
Old June 16, 2021, 01:42 AM   #34
armoredman

I carried a CZ P-01 concealed for years. I also carried a full size CZ SP-01 Phantom concealed for quite some time. It's all in the belt and holster. But with the larger pistol you have to be prepared to dress 'around" the gun. I don't mind looking like a slob with a oversize baggy t-shirt.
In the metal frame hammer fired pistols, I believe the CZ 75 PCR is the best CCW pistol ever made. Having said THAT - I carry a CZ P-10C and CZ P-10S myself.
Old June 16, 2021, 06:15 PM   #35
sevt_chevelle

The Oranges are hand fit and have different barrel bushings. Blues are base models.

The Shadow 2 is the latest internet fad running what 4-5 years now because it's a purpose built gun and dominates said class.
Tune it with a 60 dollar hammer and maybe even a 45 dollar disco and you'll have a SA trigger that smokes the vast majority of 1911s.

The slide markings can be funny, CZ marks the slides differently for the U.S. and Euro markets, then sometimes those Euro guns get imported, and sometimes CZ just throws whatever slide it has to complete an order.

I have no issues racking the slide and neither does anyone that has ever shot them.

Every single CZ I own out classes other pistols. My 97 is smoother and more accurate than both my Dan Wesson 1911s and others I've shoot. 75s, shadow 2, pcrs, p09 etc, once again more accurate than SW MPs, glocks, hi power, P320, X5 legion, P226, caniks.

The PCR, a compact with an alloy frame and decocker are wonderful ccw guns, I own 3, 2 really 1 is a rare steel frame dococker.
My carry piece is a PCR with CGW pro package, I've owned it for about 2 yrs now and has roughly 4500 of not one issue rds.

There is no way am packing a SP01, am 6'1 and 175 my pcr rides in a JM custom kydex right about at my front pocket.
Old June 16, 2021, 07:26 PM   #36
2wheelwander

PCR here as well. The lighter weight contributes to concealed carry. I didn't see why you want an all steel gun. If its just because you like all steel and that's your thing, great, no argument.

But If its because of premature wear or reliability issues, I've never read about any such issue with the PCR. Hands down my favorite carry gun. The lighter weight really is a plus Just stellar IMHO.
Old June 16, 2021, 09:10 PM   #37
cslinger

The compact will be fine but its got quite a bit of heft, just keep that in mind.

My thoughts are you have the SP-01 so you have the all steel covered. Go with the PCR/P01 to give you a truly nice carry package. Thats just my personal thinking. Again not a CZ acolyte per say so grain of salt and all that.
Old June 16, 2021, 09:35 PM   #38
Kurbsky

Steel frame requirement for me is a matter of trust. I only trust steel or stainless steel to be truly reliable and durable. Will I ever fire more than 1,000 rounds from any one handgun ? - NO! Same story with my 4 wheel HD truck - I never go off road and I never tow.
Old June 16, 2021, 09:37 PM   #39
Kurbsky

Correction: I meant 4 wheel drive.
Old June 16, 2021, 09:39 PM   #40
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbsky
Steel frame requirement for me is a matter of trust. I only trust steel or stainless steel to be truly reliable and durable. Will I ever fire more than 1,000 rounds from any one handgun ? - NO!
1000 rd is a pretty small round count in all honestly. The notion that an alloy framed pistol wouldn't be able to do that borders on laughable. They have gone tens of thousands of rounds.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 16, 2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old June 16, 2021, 09:40 PM   #41
cslinger

Fair enough.

Make sure you run your 4WD system every month or so on gravel or slick surfaces just to keep the diffs all lubed up.
Old June 16, 2021, 10:21 PM   #42
sevt_chevelle

Less than 1K rounds and alloy isn't good enough?

Mine has over 4 times that amount and the rails look darn near brand new.

Sig P226/229 considered one of the best combat handguns in the world, a proven track record, ALLOY frame.
Old June 18, 2021, 10:46 AM   #43
Kurbsky

That's a good point about Sig P226. I have one but never had time to take it to the range.
Thank you for your 4WD advice Cslinger. Even though this probably belongs to a truck forum, I admit that since 2016 I put my truck in 4WD only 3 times.
Old June 26, 2021, 10:24 PM   #44
wild cat mccane

Just saw that the SP-01 is now going for 800 dollars (Kygunco, who usually keep it fair).

That is ridiculous. That gun is no way worth that money.
Old June 27, 2021, 06:15 AM   #45
jetinteriorguy

For whatever reason in the last few years CZ’s in general have really jumped in price, not sure if it just panic pricing or people are valuing them higher due to realizing what nice pistols they really are. I bought my 75B SA a few years ago for $325.00 and it’s my favorite 9mm by far and was a steal. Now it would probably run at least $550.00-$600.00 for one.
Old June 27, 2021, 12:28 PM   #46
pgdion

I have the CZ75 Compact D .... absolutely love it. Size and fit are perfect. It's my preferred carry gun. Accurate and it's nice to shoot, I love the DA/SA trigger. DA pull is harm but doesn't interfere with a fast accurate first shot.

Only thing I noticed is,about 200 rounds max before cleaning. I've done so e 250 round training classes and I've had to do a quick cleaning before the end of the class. It would stick s little feeding a round after a mag reload and not go into fill battery. Smack it closed with my palm and it would feed the rest of the magazine flawlessly. A quick hose down and shake with CLP was enough to finish the class.
Old June 27, 2021, 05:45 PM   #47
sevt_chevelle

I just saw a glock 19 for 600 bucks
A Walther pdp for 650
No way in hell are those recycled trash bags worth it.
Old June 27, 2021, 06:14 PM   #48
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
I just saw a glock 19 for 600 bucks
A Walther pdp for 650
No way in hell are those recycled trash bags worth it.

I like my recycled trash bags. I say this as someone that still has a number of pistols made from non-recycled hunks of metal and has no intention of selling them.

Honestly, someone saying they don’t think your preferred firearm is “worth it” should be regarded with a shrug. It’s an inanimate object. It doesn’t have feelings. In the meanwhile value is often relative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 28, 2021, 05:04 PM   #49
Kurbsky

CZ 75 Compact is $620 now. I paid much less for my SP-01 several years ago.
Old June 28, 2021, 11:36 PM   #50
Ignition Override

My "mall shooter class" handgun instructor told me - Before I decided to buy it - that he had fired "at least 10,000 rds." in his older PO1. Quite a nice heavily-discounted price for it!

That's why I bought it as my first 9x19 handgun. Perfect reliability, which immed. convinced me to later add my PCR.

Ben Goldstein (see Youtube) now lives in Israel, where they tend to take gun reliability pretty seriously in his security job.

This was our 2-day "m.s. class" in 2019, during one of his rare visits to the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZM2snC0-AE Well over half of it was safety briefings plus instruction.

Last edited by Ignition Override; June 28, 2021 at 11:50 PM.