The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2019, 06:47 AM   #1
TxFlyFish

Breaking in 1911, broke my wrist. Preventing injuries

Alright guys, this is the first time (surprisingly) that I’ve thought about this issue when it comes to shooting. I have injured myself just about in any other sport. How do you prevent wrist injuries when shooting?? I was set on going thru 500rds to break in a new 1911...nothing serious just paper punching at indoor range. I was only able to make thru 250 rounds at the one hour mark before my wrist and arm started hurting and shaking uncontrollably and flinching. It’s just 45 acp range ammo on a nice 1911 with a nice trigger (which btw had 0 malfunction out of the box).

Could it be the thumb on the safety grip? Should I go revolver grip on a 1911? It’s been 3 days and my wrist and arm is still sore
Old May 7, 2019, 07:31 AM   #2
Lohman446

When did the .45 become some benchmark of low recoil?

We seem to be moving towards these super guns where if one notes there is noticeable recoil in anything short of a .500 S+W its an instant question of one's ability to handle any firearm. If I were to describe .38 Special recoil from an airweight as "brisk" or note that I am not a fan of the particular recoil of a .40 it would be take as some as a valid premise to question ability.

3 days though starts to sound like nerve issues and may be worth seeking medical advise.
Old May 7, 2019, 08:06 AM   #3
polyphemus

Quote:
How do you prevent wrist injuries when shooting??
First thing comes to mind is proper handling and an orthopedic brace in the case of previous injury or a physical issue.
Quote:
Could it be the thumb on the safety grip?
If placing the thumb on the safety is the cause of your fracture then you should be doing some very serious analysis of your shooting practices.
Quote:
Should I go revolver grip on a 1911?
Whatever is meant by revolver grip,any firearm should be held correctly under most circumstances,it seems that given your difficulties some professional training could be very useful.
Old May 7, 2019, 08:20 AM   #4
UncleEd

Once upon a time and way back in the dark ages,
I quit the .45 1911 as a regular firearm to shoot.
Didn't take many rounds to make my hand shake.

But with revolvers and then the Beretta 92 no
troubles whatsoever.

I think that a combination of recoil and how the grip
design exists on a 1911, I'm just not capable. I
have shot 9mm in recent years from a 1911 and
no trouble.

Briefly tried a SIG 220 but didn't like it either.

A fluke back then? Don't know but I've been happy
to live without the .45 ACP.
Old May 7, 2019, 08:34 AM   #5
tarhealcracker

Don't fret mate. 250 rounds of 45 acp would make most casual shooters wish they hadn't and 500 rounds warrants a call to Uber for a ride home.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know you range hogs think I'm a cup cake but there are regular folks out here that only go to the range 3 times a year and 250 45 acp rounds is way more than enough .
Old May 7, 2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Jim Watson

I am also a cupcake.
A good range session is 150 rounds for me and half of those in .22 ACE or conversion.
I am not hurting - any worse than usual, at least - and I have not exceeded my attention span for worthwhile practice vs plinking.
Old May 7, 2019, 08:51 AM   #7
HiBC

IMO,the recoil from a 1911 in 45 ACP s not a big deal.

However,that assumes a correct grip. You might look at YouTube.

250 rounds is a lot. You might try 50. Even shooting two magazines with good form beats 250 rounds forming bad habits.

A 22 is your friend if you want round count.

Revolver grip? If you mean weak hand thub over top of strong hand wrist,bad idea. The slide will do violence to your thumb.

I don't know how to comprehend thumb on the grip safety. It seems quite wrong.
Thumb riding the thumb safety is one acceptable technique

"If it hurts when you do that,don't do that" takes care of yourself
Old May 7, 2019, 09:02 AM   #8
FLJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
IMO,the recoil from a 1911 in 45 ACP s not a big deal.
This ^^^^^

Admittedly this was 40 years ago, but I used to shoot full-load .357 Mag all day long. After that, things like .45 ACP, .40 S&W and 357 Sig are tame.

But... despite me being something of a tech geek, I've always been physically active to some degree or another.

For an issue like the OP describes: First thing I'd do is get a referral from my primary care physician to an orthopedic or sports medicine doc to find out what's going on. Then I'd do exactly what I was told to recover. Then, once I was recovered, I'd do hand grip and forearm exercises before trying it again.
Old May 7, 2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Charlie98

Thumb over safety shouldn't make any difference. Is your wrist sore or in pain? There's a difference.

I read an article many years ago about handgun recoil sensitivity... the author noted that in some cases the recoil can fatigue the median nerve (I think) in the palm of the hand, causing numbness or pain. I went and bought a pair of PAST shooting gloves, and they made a difference in long shooting sessions, with not only my 1911's, but my big revolvers as well.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old May 7, 2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Hammerhead

If you keep shooting after you start flinching, you just re-enforce bad habits.
Forget about 'breaking the gun in'.
Maybe find some reduced target loads and/or limit your shooting to whats enjoyable.

You might be putting too much thumb in the mix. Several instructors I've had say the strong hand thumb should just lay alongside the grip with no pressure. Squeeze the pistol between the 3 fingers and palm only. Lock the wrist hard.
Old May 7, 2019, 09:52 AM   #11
Hdonly

Ligament damage can cause pain and spasms. It may hurt quite a distance from the injury site and they are slow to heal. I have experienced the same problem before after extended shooting of heavier recoil handguns. My .44 Mag Redhawk introduced me first to this. Seemed like it happened easier after the initial damage. Let it heal and don't shoot so many rounds at one sitting in the future. I will just mention that I am a big guy and was in good muscular condition the first time it happened to me.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:16 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It’s been 3 days and my wrist and arm is still sore
I shoveled a bunch of dirt over the weekend and am still sore.

If you engage in a lot of a repetitive activity that stresses your body that you aren't used to doing or doing to that level, you are going to be sore. How quickly the soreness goes away is going to depend on your ability to heal.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:53 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Alright guys, this is the first time (surprisingly) that I’ve thought about this issue when it comes to shooting. I have injured myself just about in any other sport. How do you prevent wrist injuries when shooting?? I was set on going thru 500rds to break in a new 1911....
I DON'T want to feel your pain. But I do sympathize. Here's my advice..

STOP SHOOTING!! for now.
If you don't, you are at SERIOUS RISK of ending your shooting career, possibly permanently. Not just ending the fun of shooting pistols, but ending your ability to shoot them AT ALL!!!!

How do you prevent wrist injuries when shooting? You start by not shooting more than your body will tolerate. You start by ignoring the idiotic idea that if you can't do X number of rounds at one time you are somehow inadequate.

This is not a situation where you need to prove anything to anyone. It's not a situation where you have to play through the pain to win. It IS a situation where, if you play through the pain, you LOSE. And not just today, but possibly for the rest of your life. I cannot stress enough how serious this is.
I know I'm shouting a lot, but this is one of my few "hot button" things.

Quote:
I was only able to make thru 250 rounds at the one hour mark before my wrist and arm started hurting and shaking uncontrollably and flinching.
ONLY 250 rnds, in an HOUR??
Just curious, did that include loading magazines during that hour? That's a bunch of hand and arm work added to holding and firing the pistol.

Is this something you've been able to do regularly, and now, it hurts? Or is it something you just expected you'd be able to do without having worked up to it?

do you know the story about the first Marathon? The guy ran the 26 miles and delivered the message. Then, he fell over, DEAD!

This has nothing to do with where you put your thumb, or your style of grip
I've got a lot more to say, but I'll wait, go see a doctor!! Tell him exactly what you've told us. See what he says. Then come back, and we'll talk. I've got a pretty good idea that I know what the doc will say, but you need to hear it from them. GO SEE A DOCTOR, soon!
Old May 7, 2019, 12:08 PM   #14
kenny53

I don't believe you need to "break in" a new gun in a single day. I shoot a bunch. I start with 9mm, 45 acp, or 357 mag after a bit and I can tell I am getting tired I switch to 22's, Cheap and fun. Ruger MKII gives great practice and you don't flinch. WHEN YOU HEAL and are cleared by the Dr, take your 1911 shoot a mag or two and call it good. Pick up the 22 and enjoy.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:11 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

As said by others, the simple answer here is that you're dealing with fatigue from pushing your hands/arms beyond what they can tolerate.

However, it could also be a nerve issue (as mentioned by other posters).

Either way, there's no point in trying to be a tough guy and pushing through the pain and fatigue. All that will do is bring more pain, and possibly long-term injury.

Quote:
I read an article many years ago about handgun recoil sensitivity... the author noted that in some cases the recoil can fatigue the median nerve (I think) in the palm of the hand, causing numbness or pain. I went and bought a pair of PAST shooting gloves, and they made a difference in long shooting sessions, with not only my 1911's, but my big revolvers as well.
One of my uncles had this problem, especially with small revolvers where the butt of the grip is in the palm of the hand.
If he didn't wear padded shooting gloves (or mechanic's gloves), his hand was dead within about five rounds. (Pain, weakness, shaking, etc.)
Whether or not it is related, we don't know for sure. But he is now dealing with neuropathy in that hand.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:23 PM   #16
105kw

I have personnel experience with this.
Bench testing .357 mag reloads across sandbag rest.
300 RDS one day a week.

After a year or so my right arm hurt continuously.
So I got a wrest brace and elbow compression thing and kept shooting.

The pain got so bad, I went to my doctor, and ended at an orthopedic surgeon.
I got told in no uncertain terms, I had to stop shooting NOW.
After that it was 1 year of no recoil period.

I very nearly was never able to shoot again. Cortisone shots are not fun, surgery flat sucks.

Today I can only fire about 20rds of 45 auto, and I loose feeling in my hands.
I'm doing 9mm, 38 special, now.

Go To A Doctor Now!
Everybody has a different threshold before damage.
Please , act now so you don't lose you ability to enjoy yourself shooting.
Old May 7, 2019, 01:10 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...to break in a new 1911..." Not thinking you need to do that will help. There's no need to "break in" any firearm.
"...just .45 ACP range ammo..." Lotta variations of that. 250 rounds of hot jacketed ammo, fired too fast, is going to hurt, eventually. 250 rounds of cast bullet target ammo, not so much. Even fired quickly. Buddy of mine was practicing for Second Chance long ago. He was shooting 2500 rounds of target ammo per week for a month or so. He beat Miculek in a man on man that year.
Doing some grip strengthening exercises will help too. Easiest, least expensive, training aid is a rubber ball cut in half. Just hold the thing and squeeze repeatedly.
"...The guy ran the 26 miles..." After participating in a major battle. Combat in a phalanx takes it out of you. snicker.
Old May 7, 2019, 02:18 PM   #18
cw308

Like others posted , no reason to break in a 1911 in one day . Doesn't sound like fun , as far as being sore , well I guess your turning into a softy . One thing good it it opperates 100% . Keep it clean and don't beat it up and it won't beat you up . Now get back into some serious shooting . Hopefully the flinch won't last for long .
Old May 7, 2019, 02:41 PM   #19
gwpercle

How old are you ?

As you get older you will find the things you did at so easily at 18... start getting harder and harder to do.
If your smart ... a man will learn his new limitations ... If his new limitation is 100 rounds...shoot 100. If the new limitation is 50 rounds ...shoot 50 .

Time is very cruel to men and youth is definitely wasted on the young male .
Gary
Old May 7, 2019, 03:10 PM   #20
jmr40

If I had to spend $200 in ammo to get a gun to run reliably I'd be looking for another gun.

But any repetitive movement, no matter how small can cause injury. You might have done the same damage with a 22. People develop Carpal tunnel Syndrome from working at a keyboard all day. Sounds like you have something similar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=carp...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Winston Churchill
Old May 7, 2019, 03:25 PM   #21
spacemanspiff

I remember my younger years in which I could shoot all day long and would frequently burn thru 500 rounds in a single range session, sometimes even a full 1k. (Blazer ammo was really cheap back then)

Life got in the way of my regular shooting, and I find myself flinching. I know I need to get back into it, go every other week, and NOT over do it. Limit myself to a box or two of ammo, not a full can. I also make sure I switch between the 1911 and the Sig 228.

And if I shoot anything else (rifles, center and rimfire) its typically less than 200 rounds each. I have come to enjoy a half day at the range where I can shoot at my leisure and not rush my trigger time.

TxFlyFish, ice your wrist down, take ibuprofen or aleve or whatever, assuming you are exaggerating that your wrist is 'broken'.
Old May 7, 2019, 05:16 PM   #22
TxFlyFish

Hahaha thanks guys, my wrist is eh not sure prob sprained but my ego is broken. Humbling experience owned by a what I considered watered down mix of federal champion, umc, wwb 45acp. I mean 45 should be nothing right? I was loading 3 mags at a time and taking little breaks to allow the gun to cool off. I didn’t want to pay for extra range fees and wanted to be done in 2 hours.

Ill take the advice And take a break to rest my hand and arm...experience from other activities have shown me to rest at the earliest sign of injury and rest more than expected. I just didn’t expect it from shooting, especially from puff 45 loads. If anything I’ll have more respect for the 45 acp

And oh yea on the subject of the 1911, it’s fit very tight and was recommended I run 500rds without field strip or run it til it bogs down. I know, I know a loose Colt would not have needed break in

I’ll try loosening thumb pressure on the safety. I usually have pretty firm grip and with more thumb pressure it felt like jamming my hand against the beaver tail

Last edited by TxFlyFish; May 7, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 7, 2019, 06:51 PM   #23
Old 454

Sounds like fatigue... maybe get one of those balls you squeeze to strengthen your hand and wrist.
Your might be using muscles in your hand and wrist that you dont normally use

Last edited by Old 454; May 7, 2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old May 7, 2019, 07:20 PM   #24
TxFlyFish

That’s what I am suspecting as well or maybe at least part of the reason. Even though this is my 3rd 1911, I don’t shoot them very often. Placing my thumb over the thumb safety locks my wrist over the pivot point of the gun. Basically all the upwards recoil is directly transferred over the wrist whether my wrist likes it or not...the thumb is locked on the safety. Great for the first 50 rounds keeping the gun locked on the target...not so great when your wrist gives out
Old May 7, 2019, 07:34 PM   #25
745SW

Once introduced to the 45ACP around 1980 my round count skyrocketed. IMO offers the right balance of challenging to shoot well, ease of reloading, lead bullet friendly in terms of few issues and cost.

Most of all it's just fun to shoot. Moderate girp hold with arm(s) extended but still bent, letting the pistol recoil. Fatique in the form of shaking happens after 100 rounds or so making it more challenging for a session of usually 200 rounds or a max of 400. I'd imagine my round count would be much less if some form of bracing were used.

I sprung my wrist many years ago by holding the pistol tilted 90degrees to the right using the right hand. At times felt pain in the wrist when the wrist was in a certain position and over the years has deminished greatly. Now about as good as new/normal.

New issue, have really bad cataract in right eye. Said to be of trama.