The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 10, 2009, 09:43 AM   #101
matolman1

And the funniest thing was yesterday evening, the headline on Yahoo news was "Lightning Strikes Mother In Her Kitchen."

I bet she didnt expect that either! The statistics are so against that ever happening to her....Yet, it happened. To her.

My original point was that I have been reading in various threads about statistics, about how unlikely this or that scenario is to occur..etc...

If you only train for and set your mind towards scenarios that occur more often statistically than others, you will be at a grave loss when you happen to be shopping at the Mall on Saturday and become involved in an active shooter situation.

What is that you say? You don't carry more than 5 rounds on you while carrying your firearm? Well, you better be very good at pleading and hiding because it will take SWAT at least 20 minutes to "come to your rescue." You can bet your last breath (and those of your wife and children) that the attacker will most likely be suicidal in his attack and will be better armed than you. You either try to even the odds a bit by constant training and by carrying for this worst case scenario (not a nuclear attack, just a plain old "Active Shooter") or you don't and suffer the consequences. Your choice.....I have made mine.

OK, I admit...Maybe I am wired differently than most due to "boots on the ground" experience and due to my aggressive training and tactics on responding to being attacked. BUT, rest assured, when I do get involved in an active shooter scenario at my synagogue, or at the mall, I will respond with extreme violence of action, speed and firepower. Not because I am a hero or superman, but because I am trained to run TOWARDS the violence while you and the others are running AWAY from it. I do not blame you for running away. I do not expect you to save me or others. That is my job.

I have learned long ago that aggressors show no mercy to those that beg for there life or come under prepared.

OK, so you happen to live in an area of the country where everyone knows the name of every cow and chicken...Good for you! I suppose you have nothing to worry about...Except swine flu!!! And the avian flu!!! Time for you to buy a tacticool face mask I guess.
www.israelicombattraining.com

Last edited by matolman1; July 10, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old July 10, 2009, 09:59 AM   #102
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
O my Gawd.......FUZZY WUZZY!!!!!!! Where is my Solar Topee! I must emote! Emote emote emote
Ken, of course I knew the hottentots are not the fuzzy wuzzy and since you're a Kipling fan here's my favorite;

When the 'arf-made recruity goes out to the East
'E acts like a babe an' 'e drinks like a beast,
An' 'e wonders because 'e is frequent deceased
Ere 'e's fit for to serve as a soldier.
Serve, serve, serve as a soldier,
So-oldier ~OF~ the Queen!

Now all you recruities what's drafted to-day,
You shut up your rag-box an' 'ark to my lay,
An' I'll sing you a soldier as far as I may:
A soldier what's fit for a soldier.
Fit, fit, fit for a soldier . . .

First mind you steer clear o' the grog-sellers' huts,
For they sell you Fixed Bay'nets that rots out your guts --
Ay, drink that 'ud eat the live steel from your butts --
An' it's bad for the young British soldier.
Bad, bad, bad for the soldier . . .

When the cholera comes -- as it will past a doubt --
Keep out of the wet and don't go on the shout,
For the sickness gets in as the liquor dies out,
An' it crumples the young British soldier.
Crum-, crum-, crumples the soldier . . .

But the worst o' your foes is the sun over'ead:
You ~must~ wear your 'elmet for all that is said:
If 'e finds you uncovered 'e'll knock you down dead,
An' you'll die like a fool of a soldier.
Fool, fool, fool of a soldier . . .

If you're cast for fatigue by a sergeant unkind,
Don't grouse like a woman nor crack on nor blind;
Be handy and civil, and then you will find
That it's beer for the young British soldier.
Beer, beer, beer for the soldier . . .

Now, if you must marry, take care she is old --
A troop-sergeant's widow's the nicest I'm told,
For beauty won't help if your rations is cold,
Nor love ain't enough for a soldier.
'Nough, 'nough, 'nough for a soldier . . .

If the wife should go wrong with a comrade, be loath
To shoot when you catch 'em -- you'll swing, on my oath! --
Make 'im take 'er and keep 'er: that's Hell for them both,
An' you're shut o' the curse of a soldier.
Curse, curse, curse of a soldier . . .

When first under fire an' you're wishful to duck,
Don't look nor take 'eed at the man that is struck,
Be thankful you're livin', and trust to your luck
And march to your front like a soldier.
Front, front, front like a soldier . . .

When 'arf of your bullets fly wide in the ditch,
Don't call your Martini a cross-eyed old bitch;
She's human as you are -- you treat her as sich,
An' she'll fight for the young British soldier.
Fight, fight, fight for the soldier . . .

When shakin' their bustles like ladies so fine,
The guns o' the enemy wheel into line,
Shoot low at the limbers an' don't mind the shine,
For noise never startles the soldier.
Start-, start-, startles the soldier . . .

If your officer's dead and the sergeants look white,
Remember it's ruin to run from a fight:
So take open order, lie down, and sit tight,
And wait for supports like a soldier.
Wait, wait, wait like a soldier . . .

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
Go, go, go like a soldier,
So-oldier ~of~ the Queen!
Old July 10, 2009, 10:02 AM   #103
CWPinSC

Quote:
If you only train for and set your mind towards scenarios that occur more often statistically than others, you will be at a grave loss when you happen to be shopping at the Mall on Saturday and become involved in an active shooter situation.
But you can't train, and be prepared for, EVERY situation that MIGHT occur. Very few people can carry 4 or 5 weapons with several mags for each, nor will they have the training to use them.

During a lightning storm, I realize lighting is more likely to strike a solitary tree in a field than my kitchen, so I take shelter in my kitchen, not under a tree. Since I can't go down into a earth tunnel to avoid ALL lighting strikes, I prepare for the highest percentage of occurrence.

As I pointed out previously, even at 31 rounds, the guy would be 20 attackers short of living. True, most attackers will turn and run at the sound of gunfire, but some may be armed and/or crazy enough to continue the attack.

You have to prepare for the highest percentage of situation.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:12 AM   #104
matolman1

I have stated my opinion and that works for me.

My weekly combat training and my constant awareness and my aggressive combat mindset allows me to have the confidence to not only protect myself, my loved ones and others, but also to train others to do the same. It is not stress or paranoia. For me it is simply my way of life.

The end.
www.israelicombattraining.com
Old July 10, 2009, 10:25 AM   #105
zxcvbob

Quote:
You have to assume that they are going to kill you. Shoot the leaders of the mob and the rest will flee...I hope.
And even if they don't, you still shot their leader (and maybe one or two others before they overran you) Isn't that worth something?
Old July 10, 2009, 10:31 AM   #106
Wildalaska

Quote:
BUT, rest assured, when I do get involved in an active shooter scenario at my synagogue, or at the mall, I will respond with extreme violence of action, speed and firepower. Not because I am a hero or superman, but because I am trained to run TOWARDS the violence while you and the others are running AWAY from it. I do not blame you for running away. I do not expect you to save me or others. That is my job.
LOL...so when you are charging towards the firefight "Mr Boots on the ground", think of folks like me, cowering, covering and cell phoning behind the potted palms, and if you are running towards me keep in mind that all I see is an armed man running in my direction.....you may never make your objective...

But hey I bet you learned all about things like cover and ambushes and suchlike in the IDF...

You keep being noble, me I'll survive. Being dead and brave is still dead. And I'll save myself thank you, it would truly suck if I had to live the rest of my life with the guilt of having capped some schnook playing superhero

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

I'll say Kaddish at your funeral

WilddowereallyneedtheposturingAlaska TM

ps:
Quote:
My weekly combat training and my constant awareness and my aggressive combat mindset allows me to have the confidence to not only protect myself, my loved ones and others, but also to train others to do the same. It is not stress or paranoia. For me it is simply my way of life.
The more credible folks dont puff
Old July 10, 2009, 10:40 AM   #107
TailGator

As usual in these discussions, tiresome as they are starting to become, there are two sets of people with two sets of goals:

The first have the goal of survival.

The second have the goal of finding an excuse to shoot somebody.

There seem to be few among the latter group that are willing to admit that the two don't always coincide.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:41 AM   #108
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
Most likely in the gun world will be solved with an unloaded gun as most DGUs are deterrent in nature with no shots fired.
Not sure I follow that one. However, I see your point (at least what I have read from Gary Kleck) that merely producing the firearm may deter the BG from coninuing his assault but to do so with an unloaded gun (basically a bluff) would be a rather foolish thing to do IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
the issue is not the modal incident but a reasonable cut off in the extremes or consideration of whether the incident distribution is really multimodal.
OK, you are getting perfesser-like here. What do you mean? Aren't we saying the same thing? I train and prepare for what I am most likely to face not just based on probability but maybe that common sense gene? I don't prepare for Hurricanes in TN but I do for a car-jacker or an armed robber or burglar. Likewise, nuclear war is not high on my list cause if it happens I will probably be dead and glad of it.

So, for me that translates into a S&W J-frame with five shots and one reload.
Old July 10, 2009, 10:46 AM   #109
pax

This one's been going in circles for awhile now, is precariously close to personal attacks in a few places, and stopped being a discussion of the OP's topic a long time back.

Closed.

pax
Closed Thread