The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 12, 2019, 03:24 PM   #1
flashhole

CC holsters

Inside the waist band, outside the waist band

Thumb break, no thumb break

Leather, nylon, plastic

What's your preference? I'm in the market for a carry holster for my S&W Airweight 38. I'm leaning toward the small pancake OWB style.

Also in the market for a holster for my Ruger Mark IV Target. This one is not necessarily for concealed carry.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old May 12, 2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Nathan

I think you are spot on. I mostly carried OWB, pancake. I’ll bet RG Leather on Facebook could make you happy. Check his stuff out.

I had a Don Hume IWB for my 640 and it was great too. Pocket carry sucked!
Old May 12, 2019, 05:47 PM   #3
KyJim

The Model 38 Airweight is made for pocket carry---small. lightweight, rounded to aid concealment, and a standard grip/stocks that has a small footprint. I regularly carried mine in a DeSantis Nemesis for years until I semi-retired it.

Old May 12, 2019, 06:28 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

For other than pocket carry I like the IWB leather/Kydex hybrid style like this.
https://www.theisholsters.com/products.php?productId=1
There are several makers of this type of holster, but I am very happy with the craftsmanship, fit, quick delivery, and price of the Theis holsters. I have several for different makes and models of guns
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 12, 2019, 06:52 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
Inside the waist band, outside the waist band

Thumb break, no thumb break

Leather, nylon, plastic

What's your preference?
My Preferences:

• Inside the waistband, carried 3 o'clock (right on my hip)
  • Kydex holster molded to fit the gun, with at least one belt loop for security. (I've had too many times when clips would fail to hold the holster to the belt).
  • For a very short gun, try to buy a bit longer holster (ex. 3" XD subcompact, buy holster for 4" XD Service) -- short holsters can sometimes want to flop over the belt, because more of the weight of the gun is above the belt.

Google up "Blade Tech Nano" for an example of this style.

Quote:
I'm in the market for a carry holster for my S&W Airweight 38. I'm leaning toward the small pancake OWB style.

Also in the market for a holster for my Ruger Mark IV Target. This one is not necessarily for concealed carry.
J-frame S&W shouldn't be too hard to find.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; May 13, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old May 13, 2019, 07:57 AM   #6
Wag

The type of clothing you wear may have a lot to do with what carry rig you use. Also, your body type and shape will have much to say about it. :-)

I still prefer a belly band over anything else for all of those reasons.

--Wag--
Old May 13, 2019, 11:51 AM   #7
TailGator

My preference is leather IWB - leather for comfort, IWB for maximum concealment. With IWB, less revolver or pistol needs to be concealed by a cover garment, since a substantial portion is inside your britches. I had a Milt Sparks Summer Special when I carried a S&W 642. Went to a semi for capacity reasons, and have come to like DeSantis Inner Piece.

Kydex is going to last better and probably protect the gun better if you work outside in a hot environment, though. I work indoors.
Old May 13, 2019, 07:28 PM   #8
flashhole

Not for work, just personal carry.

My buddy who teaches CC classes and runs a LEO training center is a strong advocate of OWB holsters.

He's not a big fan of revolvers for personal protection but values highly how accurately the person can shoot his weapon regardless of capacity.

Old May 13, 2019, 07:30 PM   #9
flashhole

I'm looking at both IWB and OCB options. I may get one of each just to be able to state my own opinion against personal experience.

Old May 13, 2019, 07:31 PM   #10
flashhole

Anyone use compression shirts when carrying with IWB holsters?

Old May 14, 2019, 03:26 PM   #11
1MoreFord

I have 3 versions of CCW holsters(I know I'm luckily strange and don't have a box full). My first one is an old Bianchi Askins Avenger OWB. The next couple are Milt Sparks Summer Special II IWB's. I've since found Vedder LightTuck IWB Kydex holsters. I like all of them but there's not a thumb break on any of them.
Old May 15, 2019, 03:39 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

For my pocket-carried LCR, I just use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, though I'm hoping to upgrade that soon. For my Shield and my G19: (1) DeSantis Speed Scabbards for OWB leather; and (2) Stealth Gear Revolutions for IWB.
Old May 18, 2019, 08:38 PM   #13
flashhole

Ordered a Barsony IWB Tuckable holster. Will comment on it after a few weeks of use.

Old May 19, 2019, 08:51 AM   #14
std7mag

While i do have a CCL in my state, i usually carry OWB.
My usual carry is a Springfield Armory Mil Spec Champion in a DeSantis Yaqui slide holster.
My Walther PPS i carry in a Blackhawk thumb break holster.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 19, 2019, 10:03 AM   #15
muzzleblast...

When I roll with a J-frame, it is normally either in a pocket, or something like:

or,