The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Cowtown44

What are the Risks of Reloading/Shooting Reloaded?

Ok, let's hear it. What are the risks of reloading? What potentially can go wrong and injure you in the reloading process? What can injure you with improperly loaded rounds?

Let's get it ALL out on the table. Many people don't reload because they think it's too dangerous.

Overall, is reloading too dangerous for the average reloader/shooter?

What can be done to reduce the risks?
Old January 10, 2010, 12:45 AM   #2
noyes

How many have way to many Different calibers to even consider reloading ? Because it would cost both arms and both legs to fund all the reloading equipment needed to do it all .

Me for 1.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:04 AM   #3
mongoose33

If you're stupid and careless, there's no end to the things that can cause harm to you from reloading.

If you exercise care, work up loads, take your time, learn all you can before you start, get good equipment, don't run max loads or push the limits of the equipment or the components, use eye and ear protection, and be systematic and disciplined, I don't see it as being particularly dangerous.

If you think you know it all, don't care to consult multiple sources, won't reconcile discrepancies, won't take the time to learn, take shortcuts, don't work to avoid squib charges or double charges, put speed over quality, and take pains to ensure you've got lots of distractions while you reload, my guess is you're headed toward a Kaboom. It may cost you a gun, a digit, your eyesight, and even your life.

Is it dangerous for the average shooter? How much risk would you define as dangerous? That kind of question is impossible to answer coherently. It's dangerous walking across the street, but with proper care and attention, that danger can be minimized.

Same with reloading.

Can the average reloader do it effectively and safely? I believe so, if they follow the advice in the second paragraph above.

But that's just my view, and in the end, all potential reloaders have to decide if they want to bear the risks, regardless of how great or how slight.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:08 AM   #4
Chaz88

I haven't done much reloading in a long time. Back in the day I reloaded thousands of rounds, mostly .38 and .357. I shot them almost every day and spent most nights doing some step in the reloading process. I never had any mishaps. The carpet in my dad's reloading room was in the most danger. Slag from the top of the mold did a number on it. The biggest danger in my opinion is double charging a round. Could be a big problem in most guns if you are already pushing max loads. Crimping the case to tight can also have an adverse effect on pressures.

EDIT.. Add in the above post. Covers it well.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:10 AM   #5
medalguy

Is it dangerous? Can you have a very bad accident? Can you be killed? The answer to all these is YES. Can you have the same results driving your car around the block or taking a trip in an airplane or a bus? The answer is YES.

What you CAN do is use a good reloading manual and be careful of what you are doing. There are very few activities in life where you can NOT have a serious accident if you are not careful. Some of them occur in the bedroom, but that's for another day.

I have been reloading for over 40 years, and I have never had a serious accident. I have made mistakes, sure, but fortunately I've caught them before going to the range or going hunting. Most reloaders have mistakes happen sooner or later if they load very much. I probably load 75,000 rounds a year but then I do a LOT of shooting.

I don't load for every caliber I own, either. Very few people do. What I do load for is the calibers I shoot fairly often: 9mm, .45, .38 Special, .30-06, .308, 5.56, 8mm, and .221 Fireball, and .30 carbine. I own guns for a lot more calibers but don't shoot those very often and don't reload for them. I didn't buy all the equipment at one time, but rather over a period of many years. Most reloaders start off with 1 or 2 calibers to begin and add more as they can afford it, or as they need them.

In short, reloading is NOT TOO dangerous for the average guy or gal. You do need to be careful, pay attention to what you're doing, and follow safe procedures that have been recommended in all the manuals such as starting low and working up a load, watching for problem signs. If you do this, you should not have any problems. Get careless or sloppy, and you will have a problem. It's simply a matter of time.
Old January 10, 2010, 02:19 AM   #6
Fullthrottle

Man I don't know if I can say much beyond the truth spoken above! Aside from the great posts already mentioned, all I can add is, if you can follow directions, read and re-read the loading manuals, also reaload in an area where distractions are at a minimum............you can safely reload!
Old January 10, 2010, 07:06 AM   #7
Whisper 300

Cowtown,
I will assume for sake of conversation that your question is a serious and thoughtful one and you are not a troll looking to incite net nastiness.

Life is dangerous.
Just about any pursuit can cause death or physical injury.
One simply gets as informed as possible, takes all necessary precautions and weighs the cost/benefit ratio to determine how to proceed.

I fly airplanes, scuba dive, ride bicycles on roads with traffic, reload, drive cars and motorcycles and all have an inherent risk to me.
Such is life.

If reloading seems dangerous to you then cease and desist.

Not trying to be snarky but the question is more philosophical than practical.

Educate oneself, minimize the risk and have fun, save a few bucks and shoot more.

Gary
Old January 10, 2010, 11:55 AM   #8
reloader28

I cant believe there are guys that reload for some, but not all their guns. Guess I just never thought of it. The only time in my entire life that we ever shoot factory ammo is when we want more brass. Then we usually find cheap clearance stuff. Otherwise its been reloads for everything for as long as I can remember.

I do have a friend that started reloading that shouldnt. Nice guy but tries to BS his way thru and make it sound like he knows what he's doing. Dont know how he aint blown himself up yet. I keep waiting for that call. Luckily all his stuff is packed away for now.

As long as you use common sense, a loading manual, and pay attention, I cant see any danger at all in reloading.

I suppose there are risks in it just like everything in life. But if you sit and worry about all the little things, you're never going to accomplish anything. People thought I was nuts for racing stock cars. There's a rollcage and safety belts for crying out loud, what more do you want? The adrenaline rush was worth every bit of the LATE nights fixing it.
Old January 10, 2010, 12:09 PM   #9
wingman

I've also reloaded for 40+years without problems simply a matter of learning and going slow. The reloader who scare me are the maximum + guys who believe they must see brass flow before they have a good load.

I find reloading relaxing and my guns are more accurate so much so i don't care for commercial ammo if I could only reload rim fire.
Old January 10, 2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Uncle Buck

I agree with what the guys above have to say, but would like to also add, that in my case, the biggest risk is that it becomes addictive.

I actually prefer to reload my own, because I get what I want. Do I have to be careful and pay close attention to what I am doing? Sure, but I have to do that with almost anything I do.

Reloading is as safe as you want to make it.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Cowtown44

Sorry for adding the danger part of the question. Yes, it is/was a serious question.

I'm in a profession where precision and detail are critically important. I want to try to understand where things can go wrong in the process and what the most critical steps are in the process. I want to understand the risks and know that I can reduce them as much as possible. Why am I considering reloading? I want to shoot more and the cost of ammo is climbing. There may come a day soon in CA where even getting ammo will be difficult. I'm pretty sure I would like the process and discipline of reloading.

What steps should I take to start? What are the gold standards in terms of reloading basics and manuals? How does a complete beginner evaluate equipment? Regarding equipment, I want the best and safest equipment that will help me reduce critical errors. How do I find a reloading coach? Should I watch someone reload first or have them watch me. How does a beginner pick someone competent?

I would probably start with reloading 9mm and .40.

Thanks much.

Last edited by Cowtown44; January 10, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:09 PM   #12
oneounceload

The greatest danger in the whole process is getting complacent and lazy and not paying attention to what you are doing.

The results can be fire, explosions, burns, kabooms in the gun resulting in serious injury or death.

Following scripted loading procedures methodically results in perfectly safe to shoot ammunition with very low risks of injury or death
Old January 10, 2010, 01:14 PM   #13
Edward429451

The benefits of reloading outweigh the risks. If you're one of those types who look both ways before crossing the street, you will do fine reloading.
If you've ever been hit by a car crossing the street...perhaps reloading is not for you.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:57 PM   #14
mrawesome22

I guess the biggest risks would be a double charge or grabbing the wrong powder bottle. To reduce these risks, use a powder where a double charge would be either flowing out the top of the case or make it impossible to seat a bullet properly. As for grabbing the wrong powder, make it a practice to look at the bottle and say out loud the type before using it.

The steps to getting started are read, read, and read more. Don't rely on someone else to teach you. They may be incompetent and you wouldn't know because you don't know what you're doing yet.

No gold standards. Every company sells high quality equipment. You just have to figure out what YOU like. I like Hornady, Redding, and Forster stuff. Lee and RCBS rarely get my hard earned money.

EDIT: Lyman also makes reloading equipment, but the only product I have of theirs is a Universal Trimmer. I would buy it again. But I have my eye on a Redding trimmer.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:11 PM   #15
farmall

Risks:

Addiction, loss of sleep from late night reloading sessions, marital distress caused by time spent reloading.....leads to more mrtital strife since you are now able to shoot 2-3 times as much for the same $$. Back injuries caused by straining to recover empty brass. Chronic lack of $$, due to spending most of your money on components. Compulsive hoarding of brass, bullets, powder and primers.

Benefits:

Satisfaction acheived only by creating something superior to store bought product, and the independence / cost savings that come with it! Priceless!

Andy
Old January 10, 2010, 06:49 PM   #16
HiBC

As you mention you work in precise technical processes,,this is just another one of those.I'll lkely duplicate some already stated advise:

All of the good reloading manuals cover safety well.Have at least two current manuals .Compare them.

As you state that you will load for semi-auto pistols,understand if you leave the powder out of a round,the primer will push the bullet into the bore,creating an obstruction.In real combat,the immediate action is fine,but at the range,if you get a click with no bang,stop and make sure the barrel has a hole all the way through.
Now,understand,shooting can be very dangerous,so please do not look into the muzzle with the slide closed.:-)
Make a habit of reading the label twice,even aloud,and reading the loading data twice,and only have one powder on the bench.Return unused powder from a powder measure hopper to the original container.Read the label twice on that container,also.

When you get to using volumetric powder measures,realize powder can bridge and clog up the measure. This can result in one light load and one heavy load.

It is good to select a powder that fills a case pretty well.I prefer to let loading density make a double charge impossible.

For perspective,a raw chicken is pretty dangerous.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:59 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
How many have way to many Different calibers to even consider reloading ? Because it would cost both arms and both legs to fund all the reloading equipment needed to do it all .

Me for 1.
You don't have to buy dies, shell holders, and components for every cartridge you have. That's the point of reloading... Save money where you can, but you don't have to only shoot reloads.

When I see a good deal on factory ammo, I buy it. (I picked up 2 boxes of Federal .270 Win 140gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws for $8 each, last year.)
The rest of the time, I reload; because I choose to.

....And I don't see how your comment applies at all to the discussion of reloading risks and safety....
---

As far as the OP's question: It all really comes down to the reloader being smarter than a dull spoon, and paying attention to what they're doing. It is not something to be taken lightly, or to be done while trying to ignore distractions. Attention to detail is critical. However, you don't have to be a rocket scientist, and there are plenty of data sources and books to consult.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:10 AM   #18
Uncle Buck

Q: What steps should I take to start?
A: Read, several times, about reloading. If you do not understand something ask and ask until the question is answered in a way YOU understand it. Some folks who offer advice do not realize they are talking to a person who may not be familiar with the reloading lingo.

Q: What are the gold standards in terms of reloading basics and manuals?
A: Although there is no one "Gold Standard" of which I am aware of, there are several very good ways to begin. I have six different reloading manuals, some which contain both the reloading data I need for each round I reload and some which contain only one or the other type of info. (powder/charge/bullet, but not how to set up your dies and what to do with them) I read them all and also follow the instructions which come with the dies and my press.

Q: How does a complete beginner evaluate equipment?
A: Ask. Seriously, this is a very good question right here. I talked to the shop owner where I bought my equipment. He explained different problems associated with each type of press, the pluses and minus of different dies, what types of primers I needed and what powders I should avoid. (I ended up with a RCBS Rockchucker kit and could not be happier. I drank the green kool-aid and I love it!)

Q: Regarding equipment, I want the best and safest equipment that will help me reduce critical errors. How do I find a reloading coach?
A: I posted an ad online and my buddy answered it. I did not know he reloaded. I got a few replies from people who lived quite a distance from me, but they said to call them if I was having problems. Best piece of advice I was given was to load only five or six rounds and then slowly fire them. If I liked the way they shot and felt, then proceed with the batch.

Q: Should I watch someone reload first or have them watch me. How does a beginner pick someone competent?
A: If this is what will make you more comfortable, then this is the way to do it. There are videos on you-boob, ah, I mean, you tube, that will show you how to do it. Some are good, some are just weird.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; January 11, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: SkullandCrossBones called me out! LoL Fixed
Old January 11, 2010, 10:40 AM   #19
spacecoast

Quote:
What steps should I take to start? What are the gold standards in terms of reloading basics and manuals? How does a complete beginner evaluate equipment? Regarding equipment, I want the best and safest equipment that will help me reduce critical errors. How do I find a reloading coach? Should I watch someone reload first or have them watch me. How does a beginner pick someone competent?
I started a couple of months ago with minimal equipment (Lee hand press, powder dippers and dies and an inexpensive case tumbler for a total of $250) and have reloaded about 1200 rounds in five different calibers (.380, 9mm, .38, .357 and .45). As has been recommended, I started with mild loads, tend to be a careful person and have modified my initial process for maximum safety against double charging. Upon discovering two cases of double charging before pressing bullets (with visual inspection), I abandoned using the funnel to charge cases lined up in a loading block and instead do them one at a time, moving them from an empty pile to a full pile. Holding the cases individually and using the dipper to charge them one at a time is faster and cleaner than the funnel and loading block anyway.

Contrary to what others say, FWIW, I have yet to buy a manual or a scale. I use multiple information sources and common sense to validate each load - powder manufacturers' web sites, handloads.com and reloadammo.com, posts I find here and the material Lee supplies with each die set. If you are capable of reading and following directions, I see little need to get a reloading coach for common handgun loads like 9mm or .40.

Last edited by spacecoast; January 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 12:29 PM   #20
Malamute

You've been given good advice so far, tho I'd add a couple points to consider.

I feel reloading is safer than driving or flying. You might make the driving comparison if you were the only person on the road though. In loading your own ammo, you are in complete control, it's as safe as you make it. In driving, you may be doing absolutely everything right, and still have some other idiot do something stupid and affect you.

I'll again say, avoid all interuptions and distractions. Best to not listen to radio, music, family discussions, buddies BS'ing, whatever. Reloading isnt really a social activity, at least the powder charging part. The quality and safety of your ammo is dependant on you and you alone. If you can load safely with things happening around you, fine, but I'd start with complete focus to what you're doing until it's drilled into you. After 35+ years, I still prefer no distracions whatsoever when loading. I find that part alone to be relaxing and enjoyable.

I didnt notice anyone say it, but I wholeheartedly suggest a single stage press to start on. Most of us did it this way, tho you may get some that say they started on a progressive and never had a problem. On a single stage press, each step is separate, and it's easier for you to pay attention to what's happening. I've never ever tried (or succeded) in loading two bullets in one case with a single stage, or a round with no powder, or a double charge. I've been loading since about 1973 or 4. I'm not perfect, but I pay complete attention to what I'm doing when I load.

I still do it the old fashioned way. Run all the cases thru one step, then do the next step to them all. When charging with powder, I use a measure and a loading block. When you have a block full of charged cases, you can shine a good light in and see if any are higher or lower than any others, and deal with it at that point.

I have a Dillon progresive, and use it some, but it's easy to have a small problem come up, like a primer not seat corrrectly (I've had primers get sideways in the ram once in a while), and interupt the flow of loading. After dealing with the case that had the problem, you may end up with the case in the powder station having a couple charges in it, unless it's an auto-index machine. The problems of two bullets, or double or no charges, seem to come up with progressives when it's mentioned. You have only to miss something for it to happen. With a single stage, it would pretty much have to be gross inattention to a basic detail or negligence to make that big of a mistake. You may graduate to a progresive one day, but I'd suggest a single stage to start, and until you are 110% positve you can pay complete attention to 3 or 4 things happening at once before you move on to one. I still enjoy the single stage press.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; January 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 12:59 PM   #21
Chaz88

I am also a single stage guy. But I must admit that when loading lots of .38 target loads or shot shells those progressives sure look nice. Maybe someday I will get one. For rifle hunting loads I would not use a progressive even if I had one. I don't even use a powder dump, I use the scale to check every charge. It might be a bit to much attention to detail, if that is possible. But that is the way dad taught me and the first way you learn something is how you tend to do it forever. Which illustrates the point to take it slow and learn it correctly the first time.
Old January 11, 2010, 01:05 PM   #22
youp

Your professional training will serve you well.

Powder, component, and reloading equipment manufacturer's have some excellent information available on line.

Errors can get you in trouble. Like uncontrolled explosions.

Do not substitute. It is a recipe, if you substitute baking soda for baking powder in your cookies, you can pitch them. Trying to make your own recipe for reloading will get you pitched.

Proceed at a speed you are comfortable with.

Keep only one powder in your work area at a time.

Substance and alcohol use/abuse is a recipe for disaster when at your reloading bench.

Find a mentor.

My children understand reloading and were capable as pre-teenagers. No, I never let them do it unsupervised. They could have, though.

Have fun. Most guys will say they started reloading to either save money or tailor a load for their firearm. After seeing their reloads function well, most will say its fun.

Last edited by youp; January 11, 2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Old January 11, 2010, 01:58 PM   #23
BigJimP

Is it dangerous - yes. Can it be done safely and with precision far exceeding the quality of the ammo you can buy, Yes.

Attention to detail will serve you well. Your biggest enemy is a double charge / or no charge on powder - either can be disastrous. I would be a little concerned if I were you, that you already had some double charges - even though you caught them .....they still occurred.

Personally, I like a progressive press - that has a powder check option so it elliminates the no powder / double charge - if you pay attention, keep it adjusted properly. I also think you need a scale. How do you know how accurate your dipper is - unless you check it with a scale. On many of my handgun loads Min and Max are only 0.4gr apart... a deviation of 0.1gr is too much ...

good luck / stay safe....
Old January 11, 2010, 02:44 PM   #24
Cowtown44

Keep it coming!

Hi guys,

This is just what I wanted for this thread. An honest discussion of the risks so one can choose to accept them and proceed or not. I read the ABCs of Reloading last year and I'm re-reading it this year as I think I know a tiny bit more from doing some online research.

If I proceed, my vision is a "locked down" reloading area that is super organized and is a a restricted entry area with 0 outside feed.

I'm interested in further discussion in the single vs. progressive for the beginner.
Old January 11, 2010, 03:09 PM   #25
Dodge DeBoulet

From someone who used to drive bullets into cases using a hammer and a Lee Loader as a teenager in the 70s, your approach seems a bit, well, overboard. I can see restricting access for any kids in the family, but I don't think it's necessary to go all "Area 51" for your reloading setup.