The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2009, 05:09 AM   #1
JamesRJr

Professional Handloaders?

Greetings all.

I am 62 y/o and have been shooting since I was... oh... 9 or 10 maybe?
But I know nothing at all about handloading or reloading.

There is a particular handgun round that I would really like but just doesn’t seem to be made by any manufactures that I know of (Remington, Federal, Winchester, Hornady, Fiocchi, etc., etc., etc.).

Handloading is what everybody recommends, but it is not something that I feel up to learning about and becoming proficient at at this late stage.

And I heard the advice once “Don’t buy handloaded or reloaded ammunition from friends.” And, I don’t know about everybody else, but that sounded like good advice to me.

But I was wondering...is there such a thing as “commercial handloaders” or “licensed handloaders” or "professional handloaders" or something like that? Someone who could possibly make me a round I was looking for, but at some sort of “professional” level that I would feel confident in?

I’ve tried to Google and search different forums but have not found any information on this issue. And then I realized that the folks here would be a pretty good bet to be able to give this uneducated soul some good reliable information.

I will be much obliged to anyone for any information on this.

Thanks,

James
Old December 6, 2009, 06:12 AM   #2
mdemetz

Here's one in your state.
Georgia Arms

And here's one in IN
Precicion Cartridge

But I don't know if you will find any who do 'custom' jobs.

Last edited by mdemetz; December 6, 2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Added info
Old December 6, 2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Ed_

I googled "Custom Ammunition" a found places that will load to your specifications. www.starsandstripesammo.com and www.americancustom.tripod.com is the first two that came up.

Better yet find someone in your area and ask if they would help you load some ammunition. I think it is illegal to sale ammunition without the proper paper work , but if you purchased the components and someone else assembled I think that is ok. Reloading is very enjoyable and the start up equipment cost can be cheap depending on the equipment.

Good Luck,
Ed
Old December 6, 2009, 07:26 AM   #4
DiscoRacing

You could still learn to load yourself...Ole Hound... I just helped a friend a mine learn to do it and he is 66yrs old now. He loves it... gives him someting to do...sort of a retirement program for killing time.
Old December 6, 2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

There has been a big boom in custom loading operations over the last few years. It has been driven both by people buying into the benchrest game with custom rifles that come with a load recipe, and by Cowboy Action Shooters buying antique chamberings no longer available from the big makers. It turns out there are a lot of such folk with more money than time or interest in loading their own.

If you Go either to Yahoo! or Google and enter this exact search phrase:

"custom loading ammunition",

(don't include the quotation marks or the the comma) the whole first page that comes up will be nothing but custom reloaders, as will much of the second page. Lots to choose from. Some specialize in the obsolete cartridges. Just be prepared that the custom brass required may be several dollars per case. You will want to keep those cases to send back for refills.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 6, 2009, 09:30 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
There is a particular handgun round that I would really like but just doesn’t seem to be made by any manufactures that I know of (Remington, Federal, Winchester, Hornady, Fiocchi, etc., etc., etc.).
There are those of us who will be driven nuts not knowing. What is that mysterious cartridge that you like but cannot find?
Old December 6, 2009, 09:58 AM   #7
freakshow10mm

Definitely curious as to what the cartridge is too.
Old December 6, 2009, 02:42 PM   #8
JamesRJr

There are those of us who will be driven nuts not knowing.
What is that mysterious cartridge that you like but cannot find?

Oh, no no no folks.
Nothing mysterious here at all.

I didn't specify the round because my question was about loading in general. Since the particular round was wasn't germane to the question I just didn't mention it, so as not to complicate or sidetrack the discussion.

But since I've already got a bunch of good replies, and since you ask...

I've got a couple of S&W revolvers in .32 H&R Magnum.

Although I cannot currently FIND a jhp round in this caliber, at least the manufacturers list it and the retailers list it, and I assume at some point, if I am patient, I can maybe scare some up.

BUT it is the .32 H&R Magnum round in FMJ that I would really like to get some of, for a couple of reasons. And it is this round that I was wondering if I might be able to get someone to make up for me (and to my own ideas that I am contemplating about bullet weight and muzzle velocity).

See, nothing mysterious. Something fairly mundane, just that nobody makes it, at least that I've seen any reference to.

James

Old December 6, 2009, 06:56 PM   #9
freakshow10mm

I load for it on a custom basis. I don't stock it but do have dies and can load it.

Looking at the 71gr FMJ or what weight? Normally load a 100gr LSWC.