The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 17, 2019, 08:01 PM   #1
MTT TL

Suppressor Kits

Guide me through the steps of ordering the parts for a suppressor and at what point the application for license has to be submitted?

Currently I can buy everything I need for a new suppressor on line for less than $50 and put it together for free. I don't want order everything and then run afoul of ATF issues though.
Old October 17, 2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Possession of suppressor parts without an approved form 1 is a no-no
Old October 17, 2019, 08:32 PM   #3
MTT TL

Possession of all parts or possession of some parts? If I don't possess some parts how do I file a form 1?
Old October 17, 2019, 09:57 PM   #4
Sharkbite

A single baffle is enough to be in violation.

Since its a form 1 you are building it. Therefore, you pick the S/N and dictate the length and caliber. You put that on the form 1 and submit it. You may not possess any of the parts or begin making parts until the form comes back approved.

Its stupid a d pointless, but that is the way the regs say it must happen.
Old October 18, 2019, 10:26 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If I don't possess some parts how do I file a form 1?
You determine the length, caliber, and serial number, and submit that information on the Form 1.

If the length ends up being different when built, you send an "update" letter to the ATF to let them know what the new "permanent" configuration is. No approval or response is required from the ATF.
Serial number and caliber cannot be changed or "updated".

Quote:
You may not possess any of the parts or begin making parts until the form comes back approved.
And don't dawdle when it comes to engraving the required markings. The ATF doesn't take kindly to unserialized NFA items.

---
The above is not legal advice. It's my understanding and opinion of the subject. If you truly need an expert opinion, contact a qualified attorney.
Old October 18, 2019, 10:27 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...It's stupid and pointless..." Most regulations that are made into laws by unelected civil servants are stupid and pointless.
This might help. These guys do it for a living.
https://www.silencershop.com/silencer-questions
This will help too.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...lencer-part-1/
Old October 19, 2019, 04:53 PM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Most regulations that are made into laws by unelected civil servants are stupid and pointless.
Not that I disagree; but to be fair the regulations are often stupid and pointless because the civil servants are trying to interpret a law that was cobbled together by 435 people who don’t care about whether the law is practical or realistic but just want to be reelected. So they send the compromise version to the civil servant, who then has to figure out how it interacts with the 20,000 other laws already written and try to give it the intention of the 435 congresspeople, about half of whom probably didn’t want the law to succeed anyway.
Old October 21, 2019, 09:30 AM   #8
DMK

Quote:
Possession of suppressor parts without an approved form 1 is a no-no
Quote:
Possession of all parts or possession of some parts? If I don't possess some parts how do I file a form 1?
In theory, those form 1 "kits" are not suppressors or even suppressor parts until you modify them to be suppressors. Usually by drilling the holes for the bullets to pass through. They are Solvent Traps or whatever until so modified. Consider that if there was any question of legality, the many companies selling them are taking a much bigger risk than the purchaser.

That said, you do not want to play semantics games with the ATF. Get the specs from whoever you are buying the kit from and make up a basic drawing with all the dimensions on it. Sometimes the vendor already has a drawing with the dimensions on it. Submit those dimensions with your form 1.

Only after you have your approved form 1 in hand, do you purchase any parts. Then immediately send the tube out for engraving. (remember it is still not an NFA item, but you now have approval to make it one) Only after your properly serial numbered and engraved tube is in hand do you then drill or machine your baffles and end caps to create your NFA item.

We can argue all day whether you need to do it in that order or not, but that is the safest way.

Last edited by DMK; October 21, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old October 21, 2019, 09:57 AM   #9
MTT TL

I have always bought them complete but I am looking at making them myself and saving a lot of money.

I am definitely NOT interested in playing chicken with the ATF.
Old October 21, 2019, 02:55 PM   #10
luger fan

Anyone remember 'Gun Kid'? He was on all the sites for years till he started making his own suppressors. He is now in a Federal 'Hotel'
Old October 22, 2019, 11:51 AM   #11
DMK

Quote:
Anyone remember 'Gun Kid'? He was on all the sites for years till he started making his own suppressors. He is now in a Federal 'Hotel'
What exactly was he charged and convicted of?

One can get an ATF Form 1 approved then legally build their own NFA item. Thousands of people do it every year.

Last edited by DMK; October 22, 2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old October 22, 2019, 02:38 PM   #12
MTT TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger fan View Post
Gunkid has multiple felony convictions. He is out, not sure how or why. His real name is John Melvin Davis and he was released from prison in 2012. He shows up occasionally on other boards singing the praises of the SBR suppressed AR15 and Ceiner conversion kits. Haven't seen him on board in a couple of years but he must be pushing 70 if he is still alive at all.