The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2009, 03:34 AM   #1
enfield777

I just started reloading my 303.british brass.

Yep Im reloading with lee classic loader or as I like to call it the lee field loader but Im having a blast using 174gn hpbt nice for the paper targets and of course home defence. but Im 19 and a "newbie" at reloading i've made 20 rounds so far so good. IF ANY ONE HAS ANY TIPS OR ADVICE ON THE LEE CLASSIC LOADER IM OPEN TO YOUR KNOW HOW.
Old December 15, 2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Dr. Strangelove

Just be sure to use a very sturdy table/bench for your loading, makes all the difference in the world. Don't use the kitchen table unless you don't live at home and are single, this tends to upset wives/moms with all the little dents that the loader makes as you are whacking on it.

The only tip I have is that I try to do one process to all my cases at a time rather than starting and finishing individual rounds, it lets you get into a rhythm and can be faster.

Other than that, be careful and have fun.
Old December 15, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
kwells6

tip: be GENTLE and use a wooden or rubber mallet. dont use a metal hammer!

the .303 is a fun gun to load for. Brass life will be short though, so keep that in mind. I load for it on my press and get great results. also, make sure to use a .311" bullet. i've gotten away with a .308" and had MO-55gal barrel accuracy from it
Old December 15, 2009, 01:24 PM   #4
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Never used Lee equipment but have done a lot of .303 brass. Neck size only once they have been fire formed to your chamber. If you full size, you'll only get 1-2 reloads before you get case head separation. Stay away from S&B brass, it's awful in .303. I prefer the .312 bullets to the .311 bullets, they work better in a larger range of guns but I think only Hornady sells them.
Old December 15, 2009, 01:44 PM   #5
wogpotter

Lee loader only neck sizes brass, so you can pass on comments about "only neck sizing" & "Short brass life".
The lee loader is a great, if slow tool for reloading .303 cases, in fact I'd rate it as the best, speed excepted.
HOWEVER as the Lee loader neck sizes the brass is specific to your rifle's chamber. Don't go swapping it for use in a different rifle as it probably won't fit.
If you get a second Lee Enfield you'll need to keep brass seperated for each specific rifle for the same reason.
Give the 150 Gr bullets a try, they can make some excellent ammo too.
Old December 15, 2009, 03:24 PM   #6
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Somewhere deep in my memory it occurred to me that the Lee might neck size only, which is why I pointed out that I had not used Lee equipment (a personal disclaimer). BUT that does not mean short brass life is completely negated. As I mentioned, S&B is awful and it doesn't matter how you prep it it's going to come apart. At least that has been my experience. I can go through every batch of brass I shoot and pick out the S&B without ever looking at the headstamp- I just look for the cracks. And since S&B is one of the few companies making "cheap" loaded .303, it can become an important consideration.

None of my rifles ever did well with 150 grain bullets.
Old December 15, 2009, 07:13 PM   #7
80viking

discard any cases that form a shiny ring above the case head, mill surplus cases are the strongest, if you can find them, stay away from max loads, the honady .312 dia. bullet is the one to start with [most Enfield barrels are larger than .311] IMR4895 1st choice, IMR3031 2nd choice for powders, good luck!