The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Balog

Double check my order

I'm about to order up my first set of reloading gear, and I just had a few questions about the specific gear I'm getting. I'll be reloading for both pistol (to start) and rifle. I have a caliper and a funnel, but that's it.

Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press

Either Auto Disk or Pro Auto Disk powder measures. For relatively low round counts (few hundred a month at least to start) does the Pro offer a significant advantage? How do they compare in terms of reliability and ease of use?

I was going to get the Safety Prime but in the notes it says a special bracket is needed to use it with the Classic Turret, does that apply to the Classic Cast Turret as well?

I think I'll need the Auto Disk Riser to use the Auto Disk with the Safety Prime?

For rifle, I'll need the Double Disk kit and the Powder Thru Charging Die right?

Add in a scale (suggestions?), a bullet puller (am I right in thinking they're all about the same?), and dies in the appropriate caliber (with a turret for each caliber) and I'm good right? I've already ordered ABC's of Reloading and a couple manuals.
Old December 13, 2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Jack.Ruby

I just got the Lee turret press KIT 4 hole, basically the same thing as the classic turret press.
Ordering it all separate is more $$ at least from Lee's websight or from Cabelas.com (where I got mine)

all you need after the kit is the die set, and a tumbler if you want.
the only other think I would recommend is the safety prime. Riser kit may be needed for rifle but not for pistol.

I also got the cabalas tumbler kit for about $60 works great, includes a sifter and polish.
Old December 13, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Citywaterman

I have the Lee Clasic Turret press and I love it. I use the pro auto disk powder measure with the riser and I use the safety prime (I believe it comes with the bracket). If you haven't ordered it yet, check Kempf's Gun shop. Sue Kempf has a quality gun shop, good inventory, competitive prices and excellent customer service after the sale (family operated). She has a nice Classic Turret press kit you may like to check out before you buy. Here's the link. https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41. The Lee safety powder scale is a good scale for a price (about $23.00) to get started. https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41 .Citywaterman

Last edited by Citywaterman; December 13, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old December 13, 2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Jack.Ruby

woha go with that ^^^
Old December 13, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
The_Vigilante

Double check my order

I also suggest you get the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar to take care of the loads that fall between the holes on the disks!
Old December 13, 2009, 09:51 PM   #6
oneounceload

If a caliper and/or a case gauge isn't on that list, add them as well
Old December 13, 2009, 10:38 PM   #7
wingman

Here is a good place to buy.

http://www.factorysales.com/cgi/cata.../primtool.html

Let me suggest adding square ratchets part # 3567 cost .50 cents each, I went through a couple when setting up,two comes with the classic turret.

Auto-disk Riser is needed for all cartridge if you use the Primer set up
as it places the power measure above the primer tool as the measure rotates.

Also add the Swivel adapter #90477 it permits easy changing powder
measure from one set of dies to another.

I also suggest purchasing the Adjustable Charge Bar #90792
I use that and never use the disk.

Check how many different calibers you load and purchase a 4 hole
disk for each that way no need to re-adjust dies once your set up.

I believe the above site has one shipping charge no matter the order
so plan ahead.