The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 21, 2012, 01:52 AM   #26
FloridaVeteran

Bushmaster - nice work, on a target smaller than a standard 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper, to put it in context. I can't do that.

Your shooting reminds me of the recent incident where the good old boy whipped out his .357 revolver and long-range popped a perp who was about to murder a cop in a trailer park, after the perp had murdered others and the cop was responding to the call.
Old September 21, 2012, 02:39 AM   #27
hnl.flyboy

I find that shooting one-handed is easier for precision shooting than two-handed. I guess part of it is that the way I see my sights makes it easier. Two hands works great for recoil management if you gotta get a bunch of rounds off quickly, but one hand works better for precision if you have all day.
Keep them all clean.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:16 AM   #28
rightside

This is one of the reasons why the .357 is and will always remain my favorite round.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:16 AM   #29
Strafer Gott

Thank you OG! Talk about shooting. Really nice. And multiple guns. You should re-post on the " beware the man with one gun" thread. Thanks again.
Old September 22, 2012, 01:06 AM   #30
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Strafer Gott

Thank you OG! Talk about shooting. Really nice. And multiple guns. You should re-post on the " beware the man with one gun" thread. Thanks again.
I don't want to detract from Bushmasters post but he was getting some doubts and I just wanted to show that most guns can do it if the shooter is willing and able. As for multiple guns the only handguns I do not shoot at 200 yards are my black powder revolvers, all my guns get shot at 7 yards to 100 yards. I am a firm believer that you should be able to shoot whatever gun you have in your hand because you never know what gun will be available to you in a strange place and a bad situation. If you only have one gun to shoot you are a little limited but if you have the opportunity to shoot other calibers and other types you should avail yourself of the opportunity.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 22, 2012, 12:35 PM   #31
jhenry

Nice shooting you guys. I think many folks doubt simply due to a lack of experience and a self imposed belief that since they can't, never saw it done, or never have, that nobody can. Nonsense. Another issue is the size of the front sight in relation to the target or group. What folks fail to see is that that big fat front sight has a exact center. The exact center is the same size as the center of a fine sight or even the center of a set of cross hairs. It is the ability to use that center in conjunction with the rest of the basic shooting fundamentals that allow a person to make a decent shot at a longer range.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:05 PM   #32
Bushmaster1313

If I can hit a 6" gong at 25 yards standing without a support, why shouldn't I be able to hit a 6" x 8" target at 100 yards from a support?

I would bet the gun can shoot much better than I can.
Old September 23, 2012, 06:17 AM   #33
spacecoast

Quote:
If I can hit a 6" gong at 25 yards standing without a support, why shouldn't I be able to hit a 6" x 8" target at 100 yards from a support?
Yes, I would think so, but the equivalent target at 25 yards is 1.5"x2", which is relatively small. Get in the habit of using a consistent site picture, and adjust your sights accordingly, and you should be to do it. At 100 yards ammo variations will also be more of a factor than at 25.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:18 AM   #34
Bushmaster1313

Quote:
Yes, I would think so, but the equivalent target at 25 yards is 1.5"x2"
Exactly, note that the side to side spread in my original post is 2.5 "
Old September 23, 2012, 08:15 AM   #35
rebs

Bushmaster
thats some great shooting, I don't care what position you were in, thats some great shooting

Old Grump
thats some great shooting as well
In my 60's now with lineless trifocals and some floaters in my eyes I could not do that well either
Old September 23, 2012, 10:14 AM   #36
Bushmaster1313

Quote:
In my 60's now with lineless trifocals and some floaters in my eyes I could not do that well either
In my middle 50's with bifocals.

The trick for me is to shoot with no corrective glasses, just safety glasses.

the target is something between a blur and a blob, but am able to fix on the bottom of it and get a clear view of the front and rear sights on the pistol with arms extended.

Ironically, I am not able to use iron sights on a rifle to any good accuracy because the rear sight is way too blurry. an aperture sight might work, but I do not have any.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:41 AM   #37
spacecoast

Try finding (or making) a pinhole aperture for your glasses like the one below. I believe the hole diameter is 2mm. My eyes are like yours and it really sharpened up the rear sight on my AK, amazingly so. The design allows you to reposition the aperture for various situations as needed.

Here's one that's homemade... he used a 5/64" drill bit which, ironically is almost exactly 2mm.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/g...tml#post105968

Last edited by spacecoast; September 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old September 23, 2012, 01:49 PM   #38
Bushmaster1313

Is the aperture on the glasses like squinting?
Old September 23, 2012, 02:34 PM   #39
spacecoast

Yes, it's just like the principle of using a smaller aperture on a camera to increase the depth of field. As long as there is enough light available, it can make a dramatic difference by blocking the off-axis rays that make the image fuzzy.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:54 PM   #40
Bushmaster1313

I tried it by punching two holes, one smaller than the other, into a sheet of black cardboard.

I tried it on small print that I could not read without my glasses at 8 inches from my eye and it is amazing!

Looking forward to trying it at the range with iron sights on a pre-64 Model 70.

The good news is that with this trick I might be able to shoot a Model 1894.
The bad news is that I don't own one.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:53 AM   #41
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
rebs

Bushmaster
thats some great shooting, I don't care what position you were in, thats some great shooting

Old Grump
thats some great shooting as well
Almost 70, near sighted with astigmatism and cataracts forming but not bad enough to operate on yet. In addition I have diabetes so my ability to see anything clear is long behind me. My only saving grace is prescription shooting glasses with a 30" focal point and a whole lot of practice. I never expect to see the groups I shoot considering how little of the target I can see, that is why I use an orange bullseye. Basically I just set the orange blob on top of my sight and concentrate on front sight and trigger squeeze. That's all I can do. Every gun I have with one exception can shoot better than I can. There is a Ruger P94 in my gun locker that I do good with just staying on paper at 25 yards.

About a hundred years ago When I was teaching young police officers I would occasionally get one to laughing at my 45 and when asked why he would explain that his (daddy, uncle, grandpa, pick one), had explained to him that the gun was useless beyond 25', 50', 25 yards, pick one), and that you might just as well throw the 45 pistol at the bad guy as to try and shoot him.

I would give that young officer a 50 yard target and have him post it on the 100 yard line and then I would shoot 5 shots with my 22, my 45 and his 38 spcl service revolver. (hey I told you this was a while back)

Then I would send him down to get the target while I lit up a cigar and waited for him. This same guy I could not get to stop bull gazing and was shooting 20" patterns at 25 yards all of a sudden became a believer in his gun and started to serious listen to what I was telling him.

I didn't make long range shooters out of them but they did tighten up their groups a lot at the ranges I had them shooting at, 50' and 75' and when they got a chance to shoot the qual course at the big old silhouette targets they used back then all of the shots of all of my students would be in a kill zone. There was no magic, just convincing them that basic fundamentals work and to have confidence in their gun whatever it was.

All of you can do it, just dial in your brain that you can do it, then have faith in your gun and know that at a short range like 100 yards the bullet drop is not that significant. Stretch it out to 200 yards and its even more fun but now you have a little bit of drop to factor in.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 25, 2012, 05:57 AM   #42
GP100man

The secret to keepin em all on the paper for us older eyed fellers is simple - - - - - -

Get BIGGER paper !!!!!

No , GOOD shootin fellers !!!!

My grouping stops at around 60-70yds or so , when we were younger we`d shoot at an old truck rim across the feild (30=34" ole coka-cola truck rim)at 150-175 yds & it was alot of fun "walkin" your shots out to it , but once dialed in to it hits were fairly common & the 44 still carried alot of power at that distance .
Old September 25, 2012, 11:42 AM   #43
Malamute

Good post, and good shooting!

I've long been a fan of longer distance shooting, though as many have found, you get a lot of people that simply dont believe you if you talk about it. We have an 18" plate @ 300 yards, I've probably shot at it more with handguns in the last 6-8 years than any closer distance, though I've been shooting distance for 30 years or so. The 24" 600 yard plate is a bit more difficult, I've only tried it once, but managed a couple hits out of 10 rounds fired with a g-19. That takes a spotter. Once the distance starts opening up, the velocity fo the round being used starts to make a big difference. Making hits at 300 yards with a 45 auto takes waaay more sight than a 9mm, or anything with a similar velocity spreads. 357's are good at this game.

Regarding the eyepiece/hole thing, Merit has long made a device that does this, and is adjustable. You dial it until your image becomes sharp. You can suddenly see both sights and the target clearly. I have one, but usually forget to take it. They work like magic for aging (or not) eyes. This is one thing that does exctly what it says, I'm surprised more dont know about them or use them. They also make an adjustable aperture for peep sights that is supposed to do the same thing. I haven't tried one. The guys that use tang sights on lever guns say they sharpen up the vison when the correct sized aperture is used.

Merits website,

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; September 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old September 25, 2012, 02:35 PM   #44
Bushmaster1313

Just ordered a Lyman Hawkeye:

http://www.cabelas.com/stocks-grips-...ng-aid-1.shtml

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; September 26, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:09 PM   #45
spacecoast

Good find, I'm pretty sure that's the same one I have. I couldn't remember where I found it, thought it might have been Champion's Choice but couldn't find it there either.