The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 19, 2017, 09:42 PM   #1
roarshock

SD9VE issues

After maybe a 1000 rounds the slide release began to fail holding the slide open after the last shot. The first few times this happened the slide would stay back after racking it manually. No longer. Both mags fit looser now than when new ( I think) but I don't see any obvious problems with either one, the slide catch, or magazine retention pin. Holding it up with my pinky will engage the catch in fact. No idea why it has so much play now. I keep one mag always loaded with hollow points and only practice with the other one. So there is that advantage of comparing the action with a relatively new magazine. No obvious difference. Sure shakes my confidence in the long term reliability of the entire apparatus. Gun shoots and operates fine otherwise though. I've become a reluctant fan of this model for a lot of reasons actually- until now. Any ideas for a quick fix?
Old April 19, 2017, 09:51 PM   #2
THEWELSHM

Send it back to the mother ship...im sure they'll take care of you..

Thewelshm
Old April 20, 2017, 06:08 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Yep, call the mothership. I'd guess it was mag related but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old April 20, 2017, 06:42 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

Try cleaning the mags. Might be a little junk preventing the follower from going all the way up to engage the catch. Or the same for the gun, give it a really good thorough cleaning.
Old April 20, 2017, 07:02 AM   #5
Matagonka

I just bought that last night. Hope it holds up well.
Old April 20, 2017, 07:10 AM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy
Try cleaning the mags. Might be a little junk preventing the follower from going all the way up to engage the catch.
I seriously doubt that enough crud would accumulate within 1,000 rounds to cause this problem with multiple magazines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWELSHM
Send it back to the mother ship...
^^^ This.
Old April 20, 2017, 07:47 AM   #7
g.willikers

Quote:
Holding it up with my pinky will engage the catch in fact.
Check the tension of whatever spring is involved mebbe.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:00 AM   #8
Dufus

Sometimes removing fouling on the rail and lubrication at the recommended points can solve a problem such as this. The fouling may not be visible.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:23 AM   #9
roarshock

It's kept clean. There was some crud on the magazine retention pin. That's what holds it "up." It doesn't look worn. The magazine follower spring tensions against the slide stop when empty. The slide stop/release has a little hook that gets pushed up by the mag follower. Might be bent but it's one tough piece of metal. I can't bend it intentionally without breaking the frame. Basically the mags are too sloppy loose. Needs a good 1/8" more nylon on top of the follower notch in other words. Hate to pay shipping to Mother Ship every thousand rounds. Some bargain Glock.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:37 AM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Basically the mags are too sloppy loose. Needs a good 1/8" more nylon on top of the follower notch in other words.
If that was so then you would have had this issue from the beginning, not just after 1000 rounds.

Quote:
Hate to pay shipping to Mother Ship every thousand rounds. Some bargain Glock.
I've never known S&W to charge for shipping for a repair issue. Before deciding the pistol and the company are junk, call them first and see what they say.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 20, 2017, 09:10 AM   #11
Ride Madone

Is your thumb or any other part of your hand touching The slide stop while you shoot. The most simple way to figure this out is shoot one-handed and see if it still happens, if it doesn't you're touching the slide stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old April 20, 2017, 01:52 PM   #12
roarshock

Never said, nor implied, SW was a bad company or this model junk. Quite the opposite actually. However, $200 off a Glock does make you wonder if corners were cut when something this simple stops working suddenly and so soon. If they do pay shipping both ways and fix the problem for free, that would be outstanding customer service indeed. I didn't know to expect all that. It's still a pain in the neck. And very discouraging. If it were a Taurus, the ridicule would be endless for buying such crap in the first place. Since it's a S&W, I'm unreasonable for noticing it's broken? Sorry, I didn't know the "perfection" thing was pirated along with the design.
Old April 20, 2017, 02:51 PM   #13
TunnelRat

SD9VE issues

I've owned 70+ handguns. I have had an issue with a pistol from almost every manufacturer producing today. Every manufacturer can and will produce a lemon. If you're around this industry long enough you'll realize that's reality. Some may be worse than others, but a sample of one isn't a meaningful statistic.

There's nothing unreasonable about being annoyed it's broken. But when you talk about paying to send it back to the mothership it tells me you're complaining about something you haven't even looked into yet, since I know S&W pays for that. When you're talking as if the follower notches are designed poorly and yet it worked fine at the beginning it tells me you haven't thought this through. In short it tells me you're letting your emotions get a hold of you and you're not being reasonable.

I'm not giving S&W a pass or calling them "Perfection", so cool your jets. But as someone whose wife works in a customer service related field every day I hear stories of people throwing fits when if they just calmed down for a second they could have had the issue resolved without needing to get upset. And I see it all the time on this forum too. Wait to see how S&W responds, then make your quips about "bargain Glocks."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 21, 2017, 06:46 AM   #14
roarshock

Well if they do all that, great. Then thank you. Thought there might be an easy FL fix out there instead. Sorry I became so emotional. Terribly trying times....
Old April 21, 2017, 10:53 AM   #15
pgdion

Had a problem just like this but on a 22A ..... It was the magazines, they needed new springs. Not sure after how many thousands of rounds though, a lot. Maybe pick up a couple new mags and see before sending it in. Always good to have spare magazines anyways.
Old April 22, 2017, 10:38 PM   #16
ratshooter

You can probably just buy a mag spring or two and try that out. Make sure the mag catch is clean and lubed. There are no mysteries as to how guns work. It CAN be repaired.
Old April 23, 2017, 09:39 AM   #17
roarshock

The mag springs are just fine. They don't make the mag fit tight anyway. Just push the bullets up. When empty, the follower isn't high enough to push the slide catch "hook" up. That part may have bent or stretched? But seems unlikely. The notch in the mag that receives the retention pin is is a pretty big hole. If it were a little more carefully machined ( as in lower down) the mag would fit tightly, thus higher up inside the pistol grip. Then ouila! the follower would engage the little hook and the damn slide would be held back like normal. [ Pushing up with the pinky on the bottom of the magazine illustrates merit in this observation]. Never noticed looseness, or it being a problem before, however. The only mystery here is what thing or combination of things stopped working properly together rather suddenly, for no apparent reason. And it isn't normal wear and tear or improper maintenance. That is certain. The gun still shoots and runs fine until empty. So it isn't a total POS.
Old April 23, 2017, 10:12 AM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
The gun still shoots and runs fine until empty. So it isn't a total POS.
Did you call S&W?
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 23, 2017, 11:42 AM   #19
Onward Allusion

Before you ship the gun back, spend $30 and get a spare mag. Sounds like you're keeping it anyway so it's a cheap and quick test.
Old April 23, 2017, 05:06 PM   #20
Mr. Hill

Check the slide release itself to make sure it isn't chipped or broken. That was the cause in my kimber. Replacement part took care of it.
Old April 24, 2017, 11:19 AM   #21
TunnelRat

Folks are right in that there are parts you can swap on your own to see if it fixes the problem. The point I'd make is that involves you spending money out of your own pocket. You bought a pistol that came with a warranty. If you can be without the pistol for that time to me it's better to make the manufacturer step up to the plate and deliver. It's less money for you and is the only way companies will improve in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk