The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 18, 2017, 08:04 PM   #1
sixgunnin

Taylors vs Uberti?

What is the quality difference in Taylors vs Uberti's? I am looking at a 1873 cattleman.
Old April 18, 2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Model12Win

The Taylor's are better made. I would buy American before Italian too.
Old April 18, 2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Targa

The way I understand it, Taylor's isn't a manufacturer it is just an importer, is that correct or am I missing something?
Old April 18, 2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Crunchy Frog

Taylors and Company is an importer, not a manufacturer. They import the Uberti Cattleman from Italy.

They do offer some variants that are worked over by their in-house gunsmiths.

Some people think that Cimarron or Taylors "hand pick" the guns that they import from Uberti.

The folks at Taylors are very nice and they have a good reputation for customer service.
Old April 18, 2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Taylors and Company is an importer, not a manufacturer. They import the Uberti Cattleman from Italy.
They also import Pietta 73's now. I can't say for Taylors but I have a Uberti/Cimarron model P and had a Uberti Cattleman imported by Stoeger and the difference was night and day. Not that the Cattleman was bad but the Cimarron was just so much better.
Old April 18, 2017, 10:49 PM   #6
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
The folks at Taylors are very nice and they have a good reputation for customer service.

I can attest to that...

I picked up a 1860 Henry reproduction at a gun show, which was told was new. Didn't really look at it other than a quick once over... but the lever was not moving smooth, and one of the screws was lying in the box... which I could not just put back in. Told them what happened, and they said to send it and they will do what they can... mentioning that the gun probably was not new, and their warranty ends at the first owner. Managed to open the bolt and shine a light down it... and definitely was shot before.

Get a call a few days later, asking for a credit card for shipping costs. Paid it, and received the rifle two days later. No charge for any work, and they went over it well. The two screws were changed out, as they were a different finish. If I ever decide to get a Uberti firearm, I'll buy a Taylor's just due to that... I like a company that does the right thing for people shooting their guns.
Old April 19, 2017, 07:59 AM   #7
redrick

Taylor's 1973's are Uberti's . I ordered a 1858 New Arm from Midway and it was from Taylor's . I have 2 Taylor's Uberti's and they both are very nice . I live within 2hrs driving distance of Taylor's , so I called them one day because I just wanted to look at the store and buy a 1873 Smoke Wagon , but they couldn't beat bud's price on the gun .
Old April 19, 2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Hawg

My bad I thought Taylors was selling Pietta 73's but apparently they just sell Pietta cap and ball and converted guns.
Old April 20, 2017, 09:32 PM   #9
sixgunnin

How much more would you pay for a Taylors than a Uberti?
Old April 21, 2017, 07:21 AM   #10
noelf2

Quote:
How much more would you pay for a Taylors than a Uberti?
A Taylors could be Uberti, but I'll answer based on what you mean versus what you say. I wouldn't pay any extra for a gun that has been passed through Taylors.
Old April 21, 2017, 07:53 AM   #11
redrick

I would only pay extra for Taylor's Smoke Wagon Deluxe over Uberti's El Patron . Both of those have had action work done . Taylor's does it in house and I don't like the barrel stamping on the El Patron . You see it on sale a lot and when it is on sale it is about $75 dollars less than the Smoke Wagon .
Old April 21, 2017, 09:07 AM   #12
Jim Watson

A friend's Taylor Ubertis took her to two SASS state championships.
They have been breathed on by the Taylor gunsmith, not just the advertising tweak, but real action jobs. Smooth.
Old April 21, 2017, 09:48 AM   #13
Hawg

I know nothing about Taylors but if Cimarron is still doing them the way they used to I'd pay whatever the difference is. Between my Cimarron and the Stoeger I used to have the case colors are better, the action is smoother and all the Italian markings except for the cat number which all Italian exports are required to have are under the ejector rod housing and Cimarron's name and address are tastefully roll stamped. The Stoeger name was deeply stamped in big block letters on the barrel and all the Italian markings were in full view.

Old April 21, 2017, 10:29 AM   #14
sixgunnin

Ok, Thanks