The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 18, 2017, 08:04 PM   #1
sixgunnin

Taylors vs Uberti?

What is the quality difference in Taylors vs Uberti's? I am looking at a 1873 cattleman.
Old April 18, 2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Model12Win

The Taylor's are better made. I would buy American before Italian too.
Old April 18, 2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Targa

The way I understand it, Taylor's isn't a manufacturer it is just an importer, is that correct or am I missing something?
Old April 18, 2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Crunchy Frog

Taylors and Company is an importer, not a manufacturer. They import the Uberti Cattleman from Italy.

They do offer some variants that are worked over by their in-house gunsmiths.

Some people think that Cimarron or Taylors "hand pick" the guns that they import from Uberti.

The folks at Taylors are very nice and they have a good reputation for customer service.
Old April 18, 2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Taylors and Company is an importer, not a manufacturer. They import the Uberti Cattleman from Italy.
They also import Pietta 73's now. I can't say for Taylors but I have a Uberti/Cimarron model P and had a Uberti Cattleman imported by Stoeger and the difference was night and day. Not that the Cattleman was bad but the Cimarron was just so much better.
Old April 18, 2017, 10:49 PM   #6
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
The folks at Taylors are very nice and they have a good reputation for customer service.

I can attest to that...

I picked up a 1860 Henry reproduction at a gun show, which was told was new. Didn't really look at it other than a quick once over... but the lever was not moving smooth, and one of the screws was lying in the box... which I could not just put back in. Told them what happened, and they said to send it and they will do what they can... mentioning that the gun probably was not new, and their warranty ends at the first owner. Managed to open the bolt and shine a light down it... and definitely was shot before.

Get a call a few days later, asking for a credit card for shipping costs. Paid it, and received the rifle two days later. No charge for any work, and they went over it well. The two screws were changed out, as they were a different finish. If I ever decide to get a Uberti firearm, I'll buy a Taylor's just due to that... I like a company that does the right thing for people shooting their guns.
Old April 19, 2017, 07:59 AM   #7
redrick

Taylor's 1973's are Uberti's . I ordered a 1858 New Arm from Midway and it was from Taylor's . I have 2 Taylor's Uberti's and they both are very nice . I live within 2hrs driving distance of Taylor's , so I called them one day because I just wanted to look at the store and buy a 1873 Smoke Wagon , but they couldn't beat bud's price on the gun .
Old April 19, 2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Hawg

My bad I thought Taylors was selling Pietta 73's but apparently they just sell Pietta cap and ball and converted guns.
Old April 20, 2017, 09:32 PM   #9
sixgunnin

How much more would you pay for a Taylors than a Uberti?
Old April 21, 2017, 07:21 AM   #10
noelf2

Quote:
How much more would you pay for a Taylors than a Uberti?
A Taylors could be Uberti, but I'll answer based on what you mean versus what you say. I wouldn't pay any extra for a gun that has been passed through Taylors.
Old April 21, 2017, 07:53 AM   #11
redrick

I would only pay extra for Taylor's Smoke Wagon Deluxe over Uberti's El Patron . Both of those have had action work done . Taylor's does it in house and I don't like the barrel stamping on the El Patron . You see it on sale a lot and when it is on sale it is about $75 dollars less than the Smoke Wagon .
Old April 21, 2017, 09:07 AM   #12
Jim Watson

A friend's Taylor Ubertis took her to two SASS state championships.
They have been breathed on by the Taylor gunsmith, not just the advertising tweak, but real action jobs. Smooth.
Old April 21, 2017, 09:48 AM   #13
Hawg

I know nothing about Taylors but if Cimarron is still doing them the way they used to I'd pay whatever the difference is. Between my Cimarron and the Stoeger I used to have the case colors are better, the action is smoother and all the Italian markings except for the cat number which all Italian exports are required to have are under the ejector rod housing and Cimarron's name and address are tastefully roll stamped. The Stoeger name was deeply stamped in big block letters on the barrel and all the Italian markings were in full view.

Old April 21, 2017, 10:29 AM   #14
sixgunnin

Ok, Thanks
Old May 17, 2017, 08:41 AM   #15
Real Gun

My Model P Jr Birdhead in 38 Special is clearly Uberti in make, but the checkered grip version was only available under the Taylor's branding. I happily paid a modest premium for that.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:04 PM   #16
Electric Clam

As rumor has it . . . Taylor has some long standing buying deal with Uberti. The raw Uberti products are received and the people at Taylor company re-inspect, check the timing on the guns and adjust them as needed. So says the rumor . . .
Old May 31, 2017, 08:09 AM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
As rumor has it . . . Taylor has some long standing buying deal with Uberti. The raw Uberti products are received and the people at Taylor company re-inspect, check the timing on the guns and adjust them as needed. So says the rumor
Heard that before too and Cimarron is supposed to have people in the plant inspecting stuff but they both have the occasional lemon so I don't believe either one.
Old May 31, 2017, 09:08 AM   #18
45 Dragoon

And, as far as in house gunsmiths doing magical things to the El Patron and Smoke Wagon revolvers and the like, it's just after market springs. My El Patron had "wires" instead of the flat combo spring. I changed that as soon as I got home. Corrected for wear patterns as per norm., reduced the mainspring to right at a 3 lb. draw, adjusted timing to my needs and have been fanning that gun daily (at least 50 cycles) since (about 3 yrs.).
Just recently I did away with the combination spring altogether and installed a torsion spring for the bolt and a spring and plunger in the trigger guard for the trigger (a la Ruger 3 screw). With the reduction of the friction using the torsion spring, the hammer draw is just under 3 lbs.! Ignition is solid as a rock and reliable as a sledge hammer!

So, there's plenty to do on the so called "factory tuned" specialty guns.

More than likely, they come from Uberti with the springs already in them, I doubt they are taken apart at any of the importers.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old May 31, 2017, 09:33 PM   #19
Stormson

When I bought my '60 from Taylor's it came in a shipment with everything else they got from Pietta that go round. I had to wait a couple extra days because it was in line to see the smithy... And yes it received a "real" action job, just as every other gun in that shipment did. LOL.. Thing is NICE.

I paid the premium for it having passed through Taylor's, and will gladly do so again. And thats saying a LOT being the cheap bastard that I am! LOL
Old June 1, 2017, 09:59 AM   #20
Jim Watson

A friend shoots Taylors with real action jobs. Very nice, took her to two SASS championships. Done by Taylors' gunsmith but not just a spring swap and not for free.
Old June 1, 2017, 01:31 PM   #21
aarondhgraham

I could be wrong here, but,,,

Aren't all Taylor's guns Made by Uberti?

I've read that in several places.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 1, 2017, 02:51 PM   #22
45 Dragoon

Ok Jim and Stormson,

I'm sure I'm wrong about the guns you're talking about. If they are paid for tune ups, that's different.

My point is, buying an El Patron, Smoke Wagon or the like right off the shelf has a spring set in it and isn't what I would call a tuned action. A set of springs and (possibly) corrected timing is a good thing and if that's enough to call it a "real tuned action" then that would be a bare minimum. As I stated, there is quite a lot left to do on these "higher end" offerings. You can take a run of the mill Cattleman and make any of the "tuned" guns you want.

The main reason I have my El Patron Competition is because it was the first one I had ever seen. The lower / wider hammer spur was just perfect to me for ease of operation while staying on target. That and the 5 1/2" tube made for an excellent functioning, looking and handling revolver!

I'm not knocking these "off the shelf" guns. On the contrary, I bought one!!!! They are excellent platforms to begin with and without too much fuss, can be made incredible performers. Ultimately, they can be made virtually indestructible!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; June 1, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old June 1, 2017, 09:58 PM   #23
Hawg

Quote:
Aren't all Taylor's guns Made by Uberti?
I think all their cartridge guns are Uberti but a lot of the cap and ball revolvers are Pietta.
Old June 2, 2017, 10:42 AM   #24
aarondhgraham

Thanks Hawg,,,

I didn't make that distinction,,,
Thanks for pointing that out.

As an added thing,,,
I own a Taylor's 5 1/2" Cattleman in .22 LR,,,
It's a pure joy with which to shoot cans at the range.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 2, 2017, 10:45 AM   #25
Hawg

I've got a Uberti/Cimarron in 44-40 and had a Cattleman imported by Stoeger and the Cimarron is much better than the Cattleman was.