The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1
CK_32

Neck sizing.

I've had a RCBS reloading press for about a month now and have been readong a crap load of stuff in books and online. I have once fired 308 winchester brass from a bolt action 700. I read that you push the press until fully extended then you back out the die 1/8 turn. then try a case then see where the marking are at.

I do that but the only way I see markings down to the bottom of the neck and top of the shouldure is if I put the die just about all the way screwed in.
And I cant even fully put the press down. I have set a bullet in the case to see what its doing and it seems to hold the bullet pretty snug right after the boat tail. But should the die be stick out about an inch to 2 inches below the head of the press? Is this correct or is it just me?

(And Im not using the FL die. Im using a neck sizing die.)

Last edited by CK_32; September 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old September 13, 2010, 12:30 PM   #2
wncchester

"..should the die be stick out about an inch to 2 inches below the head of the press? Is this correct or is it just me?"

It's just you; how far a die sticks below or above anything is meaningless, all we have to do is size our cases so they work correctly.
Old September 13, 2010, 12:34 PM   #3
PA-Joe

I assume you are using a Full Length resizing die? If that is the case you have to screw the die down until it touches the shell holder and then back out about 2-3 full turns. Then when you size it is only doing the neck and you should see a line on the neck. You want that line about 1/2 down the neck.

If you screw the dies all of the way down and then more you are pushing the shoulder down and you will not see the line. Back your die out so that it is not touching the shellholder!

You said that you are using once-fired cases? Have these been fired in the gun that you are reloading for? If not, then you have to FL resize the cases.
Old September 13, 2010, 12:47 PM   #4
CK_32

No Im using a neck sizing die not a FL.

And yea its for the same exact gun. Are you just suposed to back it out and then keep screwing in until the bullet is held enough but not too tight to not fall through into the case belly?? Cause one site was saying look for the ring right on rop of the shouldure of the case and thats proper length and this is the only way I see that ring is if the ie is almost fully srewed in. Idk i just find it wierd how far down my die is and how my press doesnt even fully go up anymore..

And if you make a neck to small to accept the bullet is there a way to open it back up or is that case done for??
Old September 13, 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
PA-Joe

The neck sizing dies should touch the shellholder then back it off (out) 1/8 turn. If you see the line pushing down into the shoulder then back the die out another 1/8 turn. You may not be able to see the line. If it holds the bullet that is all you need. Is this one of the neck sizing dies with the bushings?
Old September 13, 2010, 01:07 PM   #6
CK_32

Ohhh I thought it was all about seeing the line or not not about the bullet. I have the Redding Dies. I think they do have the bushings.

(Same as picture above accept mine is 308 and just the 3 set not the extra on right)

Last edited by CK_32; September 13, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old September 13, 2010, 02:06 PM   #7
PA-Joe

That looks like a bushing set with the neck sizing die, body die and seating die. Do the instruction tell you how to adjust the depriming stem? The catalog says you can adjust the amount of neck being resized by adjusting the depriming stem.

"The adjustable decapping rod allows positioning the bushing to resize
only a portion of the neck length if desired."

Looking at the cross-sections there is an outter adjustment top ring that allows you to move the bushing up or down to give you more or less sizing. I would try screwing the outter adjustment all the way down. If you do this you should be able to see the ring around the neck. Then back it off until the ring is 1/2 up the neck.