The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 10, 1999, 12:54 PM   #1
JerryM

George,
I notice on your website that you use Essex frames. I seldom see Essex mentioned when reading about custom guns. I have never heard anything bad about them and have a friend that built his own using Essex frame and slide. He has had it for many years with comlete satisfaction. I am curious why you use them so much or maybe why they are not used more by custom makers. Thanks,
Jerry
Old November 10, 1999, 10:47 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jerry, I don't machine my own frames and when I started building pistols I wanted to build guns that folks could afford. I needed a frame that would give good service and still keep my prices from breaking folks. The Essex provided both. I've used them from the beginning and I now also use Caspian. There just aren't any pictures on the site. My own carry gun is built on an Essex frame. I built it about 14 years ago. It has never failed to function and I have no idea how many rounds it's had through it but it will still deliver a 5" group at 50 and the only thing I've done to it since it was built is clean it. George
Old November 10, 1999, 11:07 PM   #3
JerryM

George, Thanks for the reply. Makes a lot of sense to me. I should have asked two more questions. Were you an armorer in the Marines? Your biography doesn't come up on your website. What do you think of the MMC adj. sight on a carry gun? I seem to have a sight picture that results in shooting a little higher than others, and have trouble getting a rear sight low enough. I don't know if the MMC adj sight can be adjusted any lower than a Novak fixed sight. I don't want too high a front sight. Thanks, Jerry
Old November 11, 1999, 07:05 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jerry, no I wasn't an armorer but it was while in the Marines that I began gunsmithing. My first shop was a corner in the pawn shop in Swansboro, NC. The MMC is a very good sight. I've always liked them and the will ajust lower than the Novak fixed sight. George
Old November 11, 1999, 11:10 AM   #5
JerryM

Thanks again, George. I really have a high regard for Marine armorers. On the now defunct Guns Forum there was a member who had been a Marine armorer and I enjoyed his posts. His name was Ken Cook. Wish he was on one of these other sites. Best, Jerry