The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 8, 2011, 10:22 AM   #1
maillemaker

Lube for black powder pistols?

So I'm nearly out of the tubes of goo that came with my CVA 1851 navy pistols.

What do you guys use for lube over your bullets when shooting round ball in your BP pistols?

I remember some folks talking about pouring out some kind of lube and using a .45 case to cut out little disks?

Steve
Old August 8, 2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Lee McNelly

black powder lube and lubes in gen

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524

you might want to print and save for records
Old August 8, 2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Lee McNelly

wads

wad infor and punch set infor
Old August 8, 2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Antique Shooter

Steve, I have been using TC Bore Butter for the last few years, and it has been working great. I use it for my BP revolvers, flintlock pistols, and flintlock rifles. I would highly recommend it. It comes in a tube. It smells good too!!
Antique Shooter
Old August 8, 2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Busyhands94

melt two parts Crisco and one part paraffin. you can add pine or wintergreen oil to make it smell good, or if you're taking the wife or daughter shooting then you can add a little lavender extract if that's their kinda thing. i made some for when i take my mum shooting, she seems to like the smell better than regular Crisco.
Old August 8, 2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Hawg

The bad thing about Bore Butter and straight Crisco is they get really runny in summer heat.
Old August 8, 2011, 03:01 PM   #7
timothy75

Lube disks are usually used in BP cartridges not C&B pistos. I use lubed wads in some of my C&B pistols you can get them from buffaloarms.com in 1000 packs. Wads are a lot cleaner than lube on the cylinder face in my experience. Good luck
Old August 8, 2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Osage

I use a recipe of mutton tallow, a little bees wax and maybe some bore butter to keep it soft. Melt, pour in a shallow pan to cool. Use a cartridge for a cookie cutter and stack them up in layers on wax paper. I put them on top of the powder and under the ball in my c&b revolvers. Cuts way down on fouling. The trick is to not get it too stiff or too soft (did I just say that?)
Old August 8, 2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Hawg + 1

I have a very uninteresting mixture of Crisco and wax rings from toilets at about half and half. It washes up clean. Stays where you put it in hot weather. Does a good job of keeping the cylinder rotating on a Remington. Doesn't form a residue. Easy to adjust the mixture for hotter weather. And it is cheap.

Some don't like it because the wax rings are not wax anymore, they are some kind of goop.

And, as you can see it is not very exotic. No olive oil, mutton tallow, polymerized styrene and acrylonitrile with polybutadiene. No nanotechnology. Nothing that requires rendering the brain of a moose.

But it works pretty good for me.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; August 8, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old August 8, 2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Hawg

LOL Doc, I'm gonna hafta try one. Beeswax is getting harder to find and more expensive.
Old August 8, 2011, 06:31 PM   #11
maillemaker

Quote:
Steve, I have been using TC Bore Butter for the last few years, and it has been working great. I use it for my BP revolvers, flintlock pistols, and flintlock rifles. I would highly recommend it. It comes in a tube. It smells good too!!
Antique Shooter
Sounds good!

Quote:
melt two parts Crisco and one part paraffin.
Well this is basically what I'm using to lube my bullets in my Enfield rifle - 1 part beeswax to 2 parts crisco.

I'm thinking of buying a large syringe that I can pour molten lube into so that I can squirt it into the chambers of the C&B pistol to cap off the balls.

The CVA Grease Patch I had been using came in a handy tube.

Steve
Old August 8, 2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Antique Shooter

I havn't had problem with Bore Butter being runny with temps in the 100's, nor did I have problems with it freezing in sub 0 temps. Antique Shooter
Old August 8, 2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
I havn't had problem with Bore Butter being runny with temps in the 100's, nor did I have problems with it freezing in sub 0 temps.
Maybe they new and improved it. All I ever had got runny once the temps got close to 90.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Doc Hoy

Hawg + 1

Maybe they changed it up. I went through four tubes of the stuff over an 18 month period and never got consistency thicker than 10-30 motor oil when I shot in the summer.

I wonder if they made it smell any different. I was tempted to put it on some vanilla ice cream.

I guess you can tell that I don't like the stuff. Even if it performed perfectly as some of our shooters claim it does, it is about four times as expensive as Crisco and toilet donuts.
Old August 8, 2011, 07:57 PM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
Even if it performed perfectly as some of our shooters claim it does, it is about four times as expensive as Crisco and toilet donuts.
Yep. I've got about three tubes of the stuff left I got on a clearance sale. I mostly use it for bore lube after cleaning now. It's a waste of time to lube a bunch of minies and then have it all drain off before I get a chance to shoot them. It does ok on patches for round balls but it's still messy.
Old August 8, 2011, 10:33 PM   #16
Antique Shooter

The worst I have ever had it was like tooth paste from a tube, and that was when it was 102-103 degrees. How do you store your minnies? I have had a few lubed patches and a big dollop of bore butter in a snuff can in my possibles bag since Christmas, and when I went to the range the other day, the dollop was just as I left it. It seems to stay on my .54 and .58 minnies pretty good. I don't know, maybe it is a different batch.

Antique Shooter
Old August 9, 2011, 08:37 AM   #17
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggen, H
LOL Doc, I'm gonna hafta try one. Beeswax is getting harder to find and more expensive.
Used to be cheap on evil bay. I bought a twenty pound block, cost more to ship and the actual wax.