The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2010, 11:13 PM   #1
FullCry

Bullet load question again?

Does anyone have a load for a 40s&w with a berry 180 gr. HP bullet using WST or WSF? I found one for Nosler bullets but can't find anything on Berry bullets. I have five lbs. of each powder is the case and the Nosler load uses these powders. The Nosler load would be identical to the berry load if the berry bullet would work. Thanks
Old February 5, 2010, 11:41 PM   #2
plainsman456

Start at the min load for the jacketed bullets.
Old February 6, 2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I usually hear plated bullets should be loaded like cast bullets, but most plating is thinner than Berry's. Berry's recommendation from their FAQ is:

Quote:
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
So, your first step is to measure those bullet's length. Find a same-weight bullet that is loaded to the same seating depth (how far the bullet base goes into the case) you will use.

Seating depth = case length + bullet length - COL (Cartridge Overall Length)

For example, the Hornady 180 grain XTP is 0.661" long and is normally seated to 1.125". If your case is 0.830" long, then:

0.830" + 0.661" - 1.125" = 0.366" seating depth

Now you have a seating depth, rearrange the formula to find the COL you will have with the Berry's bullet:

COL = case length + bullet length - seating depth

COL = 0.830" + length of 180 grain Berry's - 0.366".

That will give you the COL for these bullets if using the same load. If you have to use deeper seating depth to make them feed well, the loads recommended for the XTP will have to be backed off. From Hodgdon's site, the XTP loads are:

Hornady case, Winchester SP primer, 1.125" COL:

WST
3.9 grains to start
4.3 grains Maximum

WSF
5.4 grains to start
5.8 grains maximum

For the Berry's, based their recommendations you can use those start loads, then go up to half way between the start and maximum loads. However, I note that would just be a 0.2 grain difference, which is about the limit of a lot of powder measures, so if I were in your shoes, unless the gun didn't function properly with them, I would just stick with the starting loads.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle