The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 20, 2009, 12:42 AM   #1
bsbllrooster10

"tactical" watches

In several gun magazines I have seen some pretty slick watches.

http://www.specialopswatch.com/?gcli...Fc5L5Qod0zO2ng

http://roguewarriorwatches.com/

Although these watches are pretty sweet they are also pretty pricey. Does anyone know of a watch with a similar look and quality (waterproof, durable, preferably black, etc) but with a kinder price tag. I know you usually get what you pay for but I was hoping there might be an exception.

Any suggestions??
Old August 20, 2009, 12:59 AM   #2
fastforty

Looks like you're paying for the website designer on those babies
Old August 20, 2009, 06:13 AM   #3
FamilyTruckster

Yep, nice looking but you can get a very similar look in a cheapo Timex and not care when it gets beat up.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:21 AM   #4
tomgun

http://www.timex.com/gp/product/imag...imexBrand=core
Old August 20, 2009, 08:52 AM   #5
eppler

Just because they market something as used Special Forces does not mean it is used by Special Forces. The Fist watch I think it hast to be charged from a 110 outlet no spec ops guy will use a watch that has to be charged or I would not (not too many 110 outlets in the desert). Most use Casio G shock. Now every oil, watch, ar15 acc is used by Special Forces soon Wal-Mart will be selling the flat screen HD TV used by special forces.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:37 AM   #6
ming

I'd be embarrassed to wear a watch that said SPECIAL FORCES or some such nonsense. Way too mall ninja for me.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:44 AM   #7
WC145

Uzi protector watch

This is what I wear for a duty watch. Never a problem, keeps perfect time, it is rugged and takes a beating. I've had it for several years and it's been great. Bought mine through Quartermaster Uniforms for around $70.
www.qmuniforms.com

Rubber Strap

Self-Illumination System glows for over 25 years

Black Dial

Screw Down Crown Rotating Bezel

Hardened Mineral Crystal

High Quality Swiss Component Movement

Water Resistant to 200 meters

Gift Boxed

3 Year Battery

1 Year Warranty

$89.95 MSRP
Old August 20, 2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Wagonman

I have had the Navy SEAL watch by Luminox since G.I. Jane.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:40 AM   #9
kraigwy

I think I'm gonna start selling boxer shorts. I'm gonna call them tactical shorts and tripple the price.

I will also have a line of Sniper Shorts too.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 20, 2009, 01:06 PM   #10
Randy_che

Casio G-Shock Mudman

I don't know if it's "Tactical", but it's tough and has some handy features.
Time zones, stopwatch, illumination, multiple alarms, etc.

Around $70 on Amazon
Old August 20, 2009, 08:43 PM   #11
rkba_net

I'd rather keep my Omega Seamaster...
Old August 20, 2009, 08:48 PM   #12
scorpion_tyr

Casio "Illuminator" --$20
Old August 20, 2009, 09:21 PM   #13
Dr. Strangelove

Seiko "Orange Monster" - 'bout $200.00 when you find it on sale....

It's a diving watch, waterproof to 200m, and a huge hunkin' piece o' stainless steel. Mine's the orange/stainless one.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Orange-M.../dp/B000EPLR2G

If you destroy this beast, you're probably dead....

Just to clarify, I bought this one as a diving watch, not a tactical watch. It's got the secondary clasp that allows you to wear it over a wetsuit, it's really a great watch.

(Typed on my "Special Forces" keyboard - hey, it's black.... with my "black ops" optical laser mouse as backup)

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; August 20, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:29 PM   #14
fastforty

Dang, that thing looks like it would stop bullets.

Who was that superhero who deflected incoming bullets with his wrists..... Dr.... somebody (it's ok, your secret is safe here).
Old August 21, 2009, 02:11 AM   #15
emcon5

That is just sad. I used to have a lot of respect for Richard Marcinko.

Quote:
Who was that superhero who deflected incoming bullets with his wrists.
That would be "Wonder Woman".
Old August 21, 2009, 02:41 AM   #16
Skan21

Quote:
Casio G-Shock
Wore one of these bad boys for 16 months in Iraq, and it still keeps perfect time. I beat it badly though, so I only wear it for work and the range. Plus, the backlight is awesome. Just bright enough.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 21, 2009, 04:51 AM   #17
BillJunior

I've had one of these for over 10 years now:

Luminox Model 3001. You can find them for around $ 200.00 or less.
Old August 21, 2009, 12:22 PM   #18
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

You might consider a Casio Pathfinder. It's digital rather than the analog models you seem to like, but it's rugged, has a large bold display that's easy to see in low light, and has more bells & whistles than any gadget guru could ever hope for .

Seriously, I've had mine for over 10 yrs. and I love it. I spend a lot of time outdoors, and little things like its digital, flux gate compass, altimeter, and barometer (to hint of incoming weather) have been a lot of help on several occasions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pathfinder.jpg (211.6 KB, 2030 views)

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 21, 2009, 01:30 PM   #19
Te Anau

I gotta say that those Uzi watches look pretty cool for the $$$
Old August 22, 2009, 10:31 AM   #20
saltydog452

The Seiko Dive Watches can also be used as a cosh.

I've had mine since the mid-80s or so. When my eyes first started going bad on me, the large dial was kinda neat.

The radium paint on the dials and hands are kinda dim.

Better stuff is available now.

salty
Old August 22, 2009, 06:48 PM   #21
BerettaBuckeye

Quote:
I'd be embarrassed to wear a watch that said SPECIAL FORCES or some such nonsense. Way too mall ninja for me

I agree 100%. I always thought the all black watches with a metal bracelet looked cool and would make a nice work watch but all the mall ninja logos ruined them for me so I never bought one. I'm just not a "tacti-cool " dude I guess. Then I found a Bulova Marine Star in all black and I had to have it.

I bought it at JCPenney for $99 ( clearance ) and I couldn't be happier. And yeah, that JCP was at the mall....
- Jeff Cooper
Old August 22, 2009, 07:44 PM   #22
Wuchak

I hear chicks dig tactical watches. They tell them which guys to avoid.

Seriously, unless you are actually part of a special forces team they look goofy. Even if you are on one of those teams it's something to be worn on the job, like the bullet proof vest, thigh holster, etc. Personally, before I wore a "tactical" watch (or anything else that could be termed "tactical) I'd just go ahead and get a big "L" tattooed on my forehead. It would send the same message.

That Casio Pathfinder is not tactical but again it's a watch made for a specific purpose. Unless you are actually hiking, or on your way to or from doing so, it just looks dorky.

If you want a good watch for all occasions that will hold up to just get a nice stainless steel Citizen or Pulsar with a stainless bracelet. Titanium would do nicely too. Something with a simple dial and maybe a date window. They are classy, durable, practical, and will last a lifetime with minimal care.

Oh, if you do get one with a metal bracelet be sure to go get the band sized properly at the jewelers for $5.

Last edited by Wuchak; August 22, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old August 23, 2009, 09:31 AM   #23
WC145

I don't like digital watches, they glow too bright when lit. Also, I only need my watch to tell time, that's another reason I like the Uzi - it's got a date and a dial (KISS!), and just enough tritium inserts to tell the time without looking like you have a flashlight on your wrist.

If you want to be tactical, remember that the human eye can see a match light at a mile in the dark. How easy is it going to be for someone to see your Indiglo digital when you check the time?
Old August 23, 2009, 10:04 AM   #24
Uncle Billy

You want to impress everyone with a mall ninja wristwatch? That's fine, as long as your intended targets aren't older than 13 or 14 (chronologically or developmentally). At Walmart there are racks of watches for $12 that would work.

If you want a real good watch that is rugged, simple, accurate and reliable, then try this:

It meets virtually any wrist-carried timekeeping needs, and because it's of a very high quality and is universally recognized as such it impresses folks with how discriminating you are. You ought to be with me when mine gets spotted by someone who looks at my watch for clues as to who I am, and sees I'm wearing this.

$5420.00 at Amazon.com; rarely on sale anywhere.

Why wear a costume when you can wear genuine status?

There are watches that keep time as accurately and are as rugged, for a hell of a lot less $$. But a real Rolex (and a few other makers' products) are pretty impressive to those who know what they are. Of course if you want to really cheap it out, find one of those guys in Battery Park in NYC with the $20 illegal knockoffs, and hope no one notices that the second hand steps from second to second while a real Rolex second hand is in a much smoother motion.

Or just buy one because you like well made, high quality things and to heck with what anyone thinks.

Last edited by Uncle Billy; August 23, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old August 23, 2009, 12:04 PM   #25
RobertSB701

I like the UZI and the Timex. I'm not looking to impress anyone, just kinda like the "tactical" look of these watches. But i agree I wouldn't want a "Special-Forces-Trained-Killer" labeled watch either.
Glock 21SF | FNH FNP-45 | S&W 686 | Taurus PT1911SS | CZ75 SP01 Tactical 9mm | Buck Mark Stainless Camper | Ruger LCP | Springfield Armory TRP | Springfield Armory XDS-9 | Springfield Armory XDM Compact 9MM | S&W M&P15X | Ruger Mini-14 | Mossberg 500 20ga