The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2007, 08:50 AM   #1
jrfoxx

Anyone load 11.15x60R/.43 Mauser for Mauser 71/84?

Anyone have any load data they can share? All I have found is 1 load on the internet of 66 grains Fg blackpowder with a 370gr LRN bullet, and the other I found in "Cartridges of the World", which is 77 grains Fg black powder with the same 370gr LRN bullet.The difference of 10 grains makes me a little nervous...I'd like to get some info from someone who loads for this so I have a little better place to start.Also, every referance I see for this cartridge lists it a a "paper patched bullet".Whats the story on that?What is the purpose of the paper patch?Do I need to use a paper patch when I load? If so, any particular type or thickness of paper I need? Any info anyone can give me on loading for this would be GREATLY appreciated.I spent a LOT of time and effort restoring this gun having started with just a barreled receiver and trigger group.I scrounged everything else 1 piece at a time, so I REALLY dont want to damage the gun (or myself) because of a lack of info.Also, I cant find a headspace gauge for sale ANYWHERE.Anybody have a "homemade" way to check it, or do I just have to fire it remotely and hope for thet best (NOT my preferred method, but if thats all I can do, well....)
Thanks in advance.
Old September 21, 2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Well, I don't. My limited experience has been for American single shots, Winchester and Sharps. The late BP military rifles are something of a horse of a different color. Maybe an expert will be along.

I don't guess you HAVE to load paper patch bullets, which is a tedious process; there are grease groove bullets and moulds. Standard diameter is .446". But if you want to be authentic, the leading Internet guide to paper patch is
http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html

How about 72 gr FFg? As shown
http://www.militaryrifles.com/Germany/71-84Mau.htm

The key to BP loading is to fill the case to the base of the bullet with no airspace, preferably using a drop tube to settle the powder. Then increase and compress to "work up" a load. I have shot my little .38-55 with 40.6 to 46 grains of powder.

There are some smokeless loads floating around. Google under .43 Mauser will get more returns than 11.15.

Headspace; did your barrelled action include the original bolt? If so, I would not worry about it. If not, there is not much you can do about it. There are DIYs for checking headspace with shims or tape on the head of a cartridge case.
Old September 21, 2007, 09:47 AM   #3
jrfoxx

Thanks Jim.Hadnt seen that site on paper patches, that isvery helpul.Also, about 72 grains was where I planned to start since it was sorta in the middle of what I had found, so thats works out (dont know how I missed that in the link you gave, I've been to that site several times ...). And, no, I built the bolt myself by ordering all the individual parts seprately, thats why I am a little concerned about headspace.I'll do some searches for the shim method you mentined.I do vaguely remember seeing that mentioned on the 'net somewhere, now that you mention it.Thanks again.If anyone else has some info/insight on this gun and cartridge, all the info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.Cant wait to try it out.I ut a LOT of ime and effort into building it (and really enjoyed the build, as well as "the hunt" for original parts, like the stock, bolt parts, screws, etc).It's also my first black powder cartridge rifle, so its kinda unique and filled a little niche in my collection.
Old September 23, 2007, 11:38 PM   #4
radom

Good luck getting 77 grains of black to fit in the case. Old ballonhead cases yes but newer stuff no. I mainly use 43 grains of 3031 under the old lyman 11mm slug. I have better luck using the Lyman 43 spanish slug paper patched to .446-7 but it takes a lot of time to patch the things.
Old September 23, 2007, 11:41 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you want to paper patch your bullets, you have to order the proper bullet mold, which has a reduced diameter to account for the thickness of the paper.

Paper prevents leading of the bore, some people also claim that it helps cut down on fouling when shooting black powder.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 23, 2007, 11:47 PM   #6
radom

Good luck getting 77 grains of black to fit in the case. Old ballonhead cases yes but newer stuff no. I mainly use 43 grains of 3031 under the old lyman 11mm slug. I have better luck using the Lyman 43 spanish slug paper patched to .446-7 but it takes a lot of time to patch the things.