The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 20, 2017, 09:27 AM   #51
Glenn E. Meyer

Taking hornet spray to the beach? Also, we have discussed in detail why using hornet or wasp spray is a bad idea, legally and tactically. Search on it.

Some folks suggest it is a less than lethal but it is not and specifically against the law to use as a weapon.
Old October 8, 2017, 11:15 AM   #52
RSKENT

MislMan said “When fishing at the beach I carry a small "air-horn" on my belt. This is a palm-sized can of compressed air with a horn outlet.”

Ok this seems like a great idea. It gets the dogs attention and pretty much everyone else’s too.
Old October 8, 2017, 12:35 PM   #53
Metric

Some type of stick/baton seems reasonable as a primary, but there is no downside to also dropping a fully water-proof knife into the pocket of your swim trunks -- then you're never completely disarmed, even when you're in the water. I have a Spyderco salt-series knife that has been in the ocean several times and in pools on dozens of occasions -- never a spot of rust, even with zero maintenance. On the other hand, some "stainless" knives will be destroyed after a few hours of contact with salt water, so be sure to use something appropriate.
Old October 8, 2017, 01:32 PM   #54
fredvon4

Lohman466
I read you first and second posts and not many of the other responses

Seems to me.
1: You took best coarse of action on the dog approaching your children...and from your description you do not sound like you feared for you own life from that dog... I think you even imply deadly force did not seem needed

2. You verbal interaction with the Flippant owners seems to get under your skin and I inferred that you believe, as I, that too many citizens pretend JUST A DOG...is magically a "SERVICE DOG" that they selfishly believe they are ENTITLED in some way to NOT comply with all other Dog Ordinances...

I bet I got that right...And it torques me too

BUT...I see it all the time when one of us who does not have the "I'M ENTITLED" gene, comments...then the IDIOT, with the gene, gets combative verbally...and like you, this really Pi...es me off...

I have trained my self to do what I need to be a good citizen. And have come to understand, I cannot change the behaviors of these ENTITLED [jerks]...so I shut up and move on....cuz I know me....WINK

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 8, 2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: language.
Old October 10, 2017, 02:23 PM   #55
hagar

Sword cane is a good idea. But I have the same problem going jet skiing, tubing, to the beach etc.

Put it in a cooler, Glocks don't mind getting wet. Up to you if you would leave it alone on the beach, I would think people don't steal coolers in general. Camera bag or binoculars, different story.
Old October 10, 2017, 04:47 PM   #56
Scout

I slip a Smith 642 into my front pocket under such circumstances.
Old October 10, 2017, 05:43 PM   #57
FITASC

Quote:
Sword cane is a good idea
Check the legality of that in your state
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 10, 2017, 05:56 PM   #58
agtman

Quote:
So it got me to thinking, more than I should, about concealed carry in such an environment. How would one go about carrying a concealable pistol in light beach clothing that is likely to be exposed to and submerged in water?
Bond Derringer in 10mm AUTO ...

... concealed in a Speedo.

Your beach balls will be safe amid all the sun & fun.
Old October 11, 2017, 08:25 PM   #59
Ghost1958

Smart carry or such holster with any polymer stainless pistol.
Water won't affect factory ammo but if that concerns you a touch of clear nail polish on the primer will seal it. Just very thin.
Factory ammo is already sealed.
Old October 11, 2017, 08:47 PM   #60
agtman

Dude, wut?
Old October 12, 2017, 12:17 AM   #61
Ghost1958

Bond arms derringer good idea too lol.
Especially if hes a speedo kind of guy lol