The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 10, 2012, 10:22 AM   #26
Joey

Will never purchase a copy of recoil under it's current management now.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:24 PM   #27
Musketeer

HK, because you suck and we hate you.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/20...d-we-hate-you/

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old September 10, 2012, 12:32 PM   #28
Technosavant

Quote:
FN has commercial versions of a similarly oriented gun platform. It's probably a market decision on HK's part not to do market a semi version.

FN's hasn't exactly taken off.
I don't blame HK for not making a civilian market legal version of the gun- who really wants an oversize semiauto pistol chambered in a weird round and sized to just under an actual rifle, all at HK prices? Sure, you'll find somebody to drop the bucks, but not enough to actually justify it.

But then, I agree with Rob that the attitude of the author of the article is a problem. If these super operators think that I'm so on the edge of going on a rampage that I can't be trusted with this super special aitchundkay, then I wonder what they would think of my safe full of ARs and milsurp guns. My guess is they don't want me to have those either. That puts them in the same class as Feinstein and Schumer- people I have no use for, no matter how much actual gun knowledge they may have.

Let me make the decision as to what I'll buy. Don't assume that it's the tool that will encourage violence. If I can be trusted with what I now own, I am not going to be causing mayhem even with a minigun. If I can't be trusted with a German subgun in a centerfire flavor of .22WMR, I can't be trusted with even a penknife.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:38 PM   #29
Carne Frio

It's another Zumbo moment.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:40 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

If they have to tool up to make a product that will have few buyers, it makes sense not to. That's different from the columnist's views that we shouldn't have them because they are evil.
Old September 11, 2012, 02:48 PM   #31
Rob Pincus

Some people are asking, understandably, why I have been so involved in the Outcry against Recoil Magazine's Editor's Statements over the last couple of days:
I labored under & against the "Sporting Purpose" concept since the '90s and have had to deal with several companies/organizations over the last 15 years that were slow to move out from under that politically correct marketing approach. When I taped my first DVDs for the PDN Series distributed by the NRA in the mid-2000's we weren't allowed to use human shaped targets. There was no "Tactical" section at the first several SHOT Shows I attended. Just recently, another instructor and friend was uninvited from teaching at a shooting range that claims now to be for 'sport shooting' only. I've had trouble booking courses in certain areas for the same reasons.
Especially in an election year and especially from a magazine that has a growing influence on younger shooters new to our community, I won't tolerate the concept of guns needing a "sporting purpose" inside our own ranks... and Recoil Magazine has certainly put itself into the training community in a big way.
Do I have a dog in this fight? Yes... and the dog is long in the tooth with a good memory and a perspective on how far we have come in recent history. Let's not start slipping backwards.
-RJP
Old September 11, 2012, 03:41 PM   #32
Stressfire

Quote:
"Sporting Purpose"
Well, that depends, what's the sport? We could always invent some new ones. C'mon, if they can get away with Frisbee Golf, why not?
Old September 11, 2012, 04:13 PM   #33
LockedBreech

This guy's stance, his "clarifying" response, and the old Jim Zumbo fiasco all sound to me exactly like my left-leaning friends who claim to be "pro-gun", but limit that to 26"-barreled hunting shotguns (in nice, safe wood, not tactical plastic), revolvers, and semi-autos with 10-round magazines.

When I care enough to engage, I explain as best I can why that is the furthest thing away from being "pro-gun". In a way, it's much more dangerous and much more anti-gun. At least the full-on antis like Bloomberg and Feinstein are predictable. They hate guns. Don't like 'em. Wish people didn't have 'em.

But the folks who proudly talk about how they support the Second Amendment while constantly and quietly pushing for narrower definitions of what that support means are a plague from inside the shooting community itself. Much harder to combat.

IMHO, of course.
Old September 11, 2012, 04:29 PM   #34
Strafer Gott

Sinister

Ever see a SPAS12? Purpose built for sport. Gave mine to the S-I-L. The tree rats love it. They come running down the tree for the privilege.
Am I evil?
Old September 11, 2012, 04:45 PM   #35
Joe_Pike

Just thumbing briefly through Recoil I kind of thought it looked like a Mall Ninja Outfitters Guide. I thought about buying an issue to be sure, but now I think I will pass.
Old September 12, 2012, 04:41 AM   #36
dZ

I'm sure the Brady Bunch can herd a pack of million mommies to "like" many posts.
They just can't get them to show up in person, like they did when they engineered
the Clinton driven, Al Gore Election MMM push.

The "sporting purpose" is a meme manufactured to erode your rights.

It's obvious now that we've been lulled by an 8x10 glossy siren song
played by people intent upon eliminating our rights.

Gun rights advocates should mark this tempest in the never forget list
and make sure "Recoil" is always moved to the back of the rack when it's encountered.

Long live the Tyranny Response Team.
Old September 12, 2012, 03:58 PM   #37
dZ

Some readers have misinterpreted a recent feature story in RECOIL magazine as a reflection of HK policy. Heckler & Koch has a long presence in the US civilian market and throughout that time has been an ardent and passionate supporter of the Second Amendment and the American civilian shooter. This will always be the case. The contents, opinions, and statements expressed in that feature story are those of the writer, not Heckler and Koch’s. Additionally, the writer and RECOIL magazine have issued a clarification and apology for the ill-chosen words used in the story.

The HK MP7A1 4.6 mm Personal Defense Weapon mentioned in the story is a selective-fire product (capable of “full automatic” fire) and is currently restricted to military and law enforcement agencies by BATF. HK-USA has previously researched introducing similar commercial products, chambered in 4.6 mm, but it was determined that the final product would not have enough appeal or be legally feasible.

— Heckler & Koch USA
Old September 12, 2012, 04:28 PM   #38
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Last person out of the Recoil office, don't you forget to turn off the lights before you close the door for the last time.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 12, 2012, 04:52 PM   #39
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZ
Some readers have misinterpreted a recent feature story in RECOIL magazine as a reflection of HK policy. Heckler & Koch has a long presence in the US civilian market and throughout that time has been an ardent and passionate supporter of the Second Amendment and the American civilian shooter. This will always be the case. The contents, opinions, and statements expressed in that feature story are those of the writer, not Heckler and Koch’s. Additionally, the writer and RECOIL magazine have issued a clarification and apology for the ill-chosen words used in the story.
I don't think too many American readers are blaming H&K for not selling the rifle to civilians. It is, after all, illegal under federal law.

However, the editor's "clarification" is anything but, in my opinion. His initial statement was clear and unambiguous, rather difficult to misinterpret and if he meant something other than what he said, he is clearly not well-skilled at putting thoughts into words.

His "clarification" took a clear, unmistakable, unambiguous statement and made it vague, unintelligible and ambiguous, while simultaneously seeming to attempt to transfer any angst to H&K, by making this statement: " It's their decision to make and their decision they have to live with not mine nor anybody else's. "
Old September 12, 2012, 09:34 PM   #40
Rob Pincus

Here's a couple of interviews I did on this topic today:

Gun Owners of America Radio (full hour, I'm second half):

Citizen Armed Podcast, First 9 minutes:

-RJP
Old September 12, 2012, 10:33 PM   #41
hermannr

The Right to Keep and Bare Arms. What does that mean to me? If my next door neighbor wants an Abrams tank, and can afford it, more power to him.

Same for for any full auto...if you can afford to feed it, have at it. I think the NFA34 and GCA68 should be repealed. They are totally unconstitutional in my book.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #42
Glenn E. Meyer

Rob is so correct on sporting purpose.

Two countries lost gun rights in recent history. Australia and the UK.

In both, the gun community went the sporting purpose route and lost decisively.
The gun communities contributed to that. I have UK gun magazines that denounced the humanoid and blood lust aspect of American IDPA and IPSC, esp. with our humanoid targets indicated we want to kill. That's not a sport.

In Australia, a man's sport is an identifier of his manhood. The shooters thought that wrapping shooting as their manly sport, the rest of the country would go along after a massacre. They were wrong.

Having weapons so closely designed to kill and used by nuts did make a sporting argument. Practicing to kill was offensive in the heat of the moment. The 'tool' or 'sport' argument is useless and only convinces the choir. The gun is not a pliers or bowling ball.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:07 AM   #43
Armorer-at-Law

One could argue that firearms designed for sporting purposes and sporting uses of those firearms may not be protected by the 2nd Amendment. These arms and their uses may be more regulatable by federal and state governments than are arms designed, kept and/or carried for anti-tyranny (or, as recognized in Heller, for self-defense) purposes. There may be other bases for protecting rights related to sports, including hunting, but that is not the objective of the 2nd Amendment.

This distinguishes us from most other countries in the world. It may be difficult for foreigners to understand -- heck, some SCOTUS justices don't understand it -- but thankfully we have the Bill of Rights that is not (supposed to be) subject to the whim or emotion of the population, even if they comprise a majority.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:53 PM   #44
Freakdaddy

Looks as if Jerry just stepped down as editor.

Quote:
It is with deep sorrow that I announce I am stepping down as editor of Recoil, effective immediately.

It is very difficult for me to walk away from something I helped create, something that I loved doing, and something I firmly believed would appeal to a fresh new generation of gun enthusiasts, but I accept that the comments in my story in the current issue have made my position as editor of Recoil untenable.

With that said, Recoil is bigger than any one person, and if my departure will allow Recoil to continue to grow and engage gun enthusiasts, then stepping down as editor is clearly the right thing for me to do.

I accept I made mistakes, and I apologize unreservedly for calling Recoil’s support for Second Amendment rights into question.

While I understand the passions aroused over this incident, the deeply hurtful words from some of my fellow gun enthusiasts have been painful to endure. I hope now we can all move on.

Finally, I would like to thank all those who have supported me over the past few days. These are the people who know me to be at heart a passionate gun enthusiast whose dream was to make something bold and new in firearms media.

Jerry Tsai
Old September 14, 2012, 08:00 AM   #45
Musketeer

Notice he didn't recant his statements. Good riddance.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old September 15, 2012, 08:11 AM   #46
Armorer-at-Law

Here is a pic of my daughter (age 13 at the time) shooting the "too dangerous for civilians" MP7. She chose to shoot on semi-auto for accuracy. She's shot several full autos, including an MP5 and P90, without suffering any ill effects.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hkpro-mem...heir-toys.html
Old January 25, 2013, 07:36 PM   #47
dZ

The current issue is rather good.