The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 17, 2009, 09:20 PM   #1
amynb

My new remington 700

I just got my remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 cal, and seeing what can be done with it. This will be my "Range Fun" gun, and maybe hunting. At the moment its all factory. I will be buying a bushnell 4200 elite 4-24x40 Mil-dot scope, as soon as I can save up for it. Want to see how it does right out of the box. Anyways, my question is about getting a new stock. From what I have been reading, h-s precision stocks are good, and so are mcmillians, but these are way too expensive for me right now. What are your inputs on stocks? Was also wondering if these third party stocks will convert it from a floor plate magazine to a DM, is this possible? Or should I just bed my own stock with devcon and find a conversion kit for it? Money is not too big of a problem, I just have to save it up. If i still had my job, it'd be a lot quicker though.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 18, 2009, 04:59 PM   #2
bhannah

Get a choate

Best stock for the money.

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...2&NewProduct=0

I love mine, McMillen has nothing on these.
Old May 18, 2009, 05:29 PM   #3
amynb

Yea i was looking at that one as well...

Is that stock pillar bedded? MY goal is to make it something like what's in the picture, but it'll take some time.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:37 PM   #4
bhannah

Yep

It is pillar bedded.
Full floated with an aluminum full length v-block.
Again great stock for the price..
Old May 19, 2009, 02:11 PM   #5
amynb

I'll buy it after i get my scope. I see they have one with a DM, do you know/think it will work with the barrel and action from mine (the floorplate model)?
Old May 19, 2009, 03:31 PM   #6
bhannah

It will work but..

The floor plate will be gone, What it does is make it an internal box mag,but I always use it as a single shot. I had no issues with this as the stock is heavy and all I use the rifle for is bench rest shooting and sniping ground hogs.
I have seen guys take the stock and cut out the floor plate hole and it works fine. But that was more than I wanted to undertake..