The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 1, 2009, 06:39 PM   #1
stonebl

Mossberg 935 - Won't Eject Shells

A friend of mine asked me to take a look at his 935 that will not eject empties. I cleaned it, oiled it, reassembled it properly and it still will not eject empties.
Old May 2, 2009, 01:47 AM   #2
DnPRK

Does it extract?
Old May 6, 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
stonebl

Yes, it extracts fine, but it will not eject.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:50 PM   #4
DnPRK

Lock the bolt in the open position. When you look into the port towards the bolt face you should see the ejector riding in a slot on the left side of the bolt face (as viewed from the butt). If the ejector is in place and protrudes from the bolt face, then it is OK.

The next suspect would be an improperly assembled gas system or use of extremely light shotshell loads that cannot properly cycle the action. New guns might need heavier loads at first until they get broken in. After a couple hundred shells, then you'll be able to use light loads.

I use a PAST shoulder pad (sissy pad) when running high brass shoulder-manglers through a new gun. That sure beats popping Advil and being sore for a week.
Old May 9, 2009, 06:52 AM   #5
stonebl

The ejector is built into the receiver wall and is clearing the bolt face when the bolt is open. When I shot the gun the bolt never made it far enough back to reach the ejector. I may take it to the range today and run some magnums through it and see if they eject. Thanks for your help.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:15 PM   #6
breeze

Question

I had the same problem with a gun. This is a simple question because most of the time it is something very simple to fix. Does the gun have the OEM buttstock? I had one that was changed, after checking into it, I found that the buttstock bolt was to long and it stopped the bolt from completely running the full length of cycle and after changing it, no problem. Maybe something to check.