The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Newreloader86

Advice on .357 hunting loads safe for S&W 686

I've had an open sighted Smith & Wesson 686 for about five years now and am just getting started reloading for it. I started deer hunting with it (by accident) three years ago when i intended to take my bow and ended up having to take it b/c i forgot my quiver, in the process taking a really nice nine point buck. Since then ive been hooked, taking hogs and other game with it. However, its getting harder and way more expensive to find hot hunting ammo on a college guy's budget so im just taking up reloading. Any advice on safe loads that will push 180 grain bullets to 1300 or more fps out of my six inch barrel? Just bought some H110 powder and 180 grain xtps as well as 187 grain gas check solids-any chance these will give the results im looking for?
Old March 27, 2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Cowart

Try http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp - it shows 13gr of H110 should give about 1350fps