The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 28, 2018, 01:57 AM   #1
LogicMan

Keep a Long Gun in the Trunk?

So with the world being crazier today it seems with the mass shootings being more frequent right now, I'm thinking of maybe putting a 12 gauge and a bandolier in the trunk, or maybe a semiautomatic rifle of some type in the vehicle, so that if I am somewhere and hear a mass shooting, maybe I could do something...? Or just for general self-defense if out and about because I do not have a handgun license (difficult to get here in NY state).

I was thinking maybe the 12 gauge with bandolier would be best as the other guns are limited to 10 round magazines, whereas I could have a bandolier to throw on and have dozens of rounds (along with what's already in the 12 gauge if loaded, although I'd probably leave it unloaded). With the magazine guns, I'd be more limited as I wouldn't be able to just easily strap on a bunch of magazines in such a situation.

Was curious on what people think? Good idea or bad idea...?
Old February 28, 2018, 02:17 AM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Totally up to you man. I'm sure more than a few of us wish we could have gone into that school with literally the worst firearm we own.

Here are a few things to consider.

1). State law concerning long arms. In my state the long arm must be unloaded, that means no loaded mags in the mag well. Your state may be different. Consider other states you may drive into.

Sorry man, I missed the part about you living in NY.....your first move should be to move to a state that doesn't automatically assume you are a criminal. Other states you might drive into are even worse: Canada, Massachusetts, New Jersey, (gulp) New York City

2). If someone breaks into your car or steals your car, they now have a rifle with ammo and you live in NY.....I'm sure the local news will love that one.

3). When I was a traveling salesman, for a time, I toted along a semi auto carbine in the trunk. I kept it unloaded in a soft case and that was all fun and games until a jug of my company's concentrated car wash soap leaked out, fully saturating the sling. I never got all of that soap out of the sling!

4). If you did try to take out a bad guy, you'd have my undying praise. That praise may not last long if police assume you are a bad guy too and take you out.

4a). Don't let #4 stop you from doing the right thing, but you need to know the risks.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:32 AM   #3
RETG

How would you feel if someone broke into the trunk, stole the gun and ammo and then killed a few people with your weapon?
Old February 28, 2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
So with the world being crazier today it seems with the mass shootings being more frequent right now, I'm thinking of maybe putting a 12 gauge and a bandolier in the trunk, or maybe a semiautomatic rifle of some type in the vehicle, so that if I am somewhere and hear a mass shooting, maybe I could do something...? Or just for general self-defense if out and about because I do not have a handgun license (difficult to get here in NY state).

I was thinking maybe the 12 gauge with bandolier would be best as the other guns are limited to 10 round magazines, whereas I could have a bandolier to throw on and have dozens of rounds (along with what's already in the 12 gauge if loaded, although I'd probably leave it unloaded). With the magazine guns, I'd be more limited as I wouldn't be able to just easily strap on a bunch of magazines in such a situation.

While having a long gun in the trunk isn't necessarily a bad idea, I doubt it's legal in most places to have it loaded. It's a lot easier to slap a 20- or 30-round magazine into an AR-15 than it is to load up a tube-fed shotgun. A rifle has a much longer useful range than a shotgun, and with a shotgun in any sort of populated locale you have to be pretty close to the target to avoid hitting a lot of innocents.

Spares? If you can carry a bandolier of shotgun shells, you can carry a bandolier of AR-15 magazines. It worked for me in Vietnam.

So let's say you're near a mass shooting and you have a long gun in your truck. What are you going to do -- race the cops to see who goes in first? That sounds to me like a great way to get yourself shot by the cops.
Old February 28, 2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

That is a good point. It has almost happened a few times. A few years on TFL, an officer told us that at a shooting, he intercepted a dad running towards the scene with a handgun in his paws. He was almost shot by other officers.

As far as telling people to move, people live places because:

1. They like it for other reasons. Guns are not the universe.
2. That's where they have a job.
3. Family responsibilities.

So keep that advice to yourselves. If someone asks about laws and you know something about that area, help them. Otherwise MYOB.

Last, to return to guns themselves - is a shotgun the best choice? How are you with long distance shots with slugs? Practice it. A NY compliant 10 round rifle would seem better, even if running towards the sound of cannons doesn't seem the best idea.

Or do you practice longer shots with a handgun? Again, charging into a scene is a bad idea if the law is there but if you are first as in the TX church shooting - do what you need to do.
Old February 28, 2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Tom2

As long as your trunk is not leaky when it rains. You might have to do regular inspection of your shotgun for issues of storage there. A gun in the trunk is useless in many scenarios, and that is why alot of states with CCW let you have it with you up front. That would be a pistol, out of sight.
Old February 28, 2018, 11:53 AM   #7
Sharkbite

I have kept a long gun in my vehicle for decades. This habit started right after the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, which i was present for.

After that, i started carring a Marlin 336 in 30-30. It avoided the “evil black rifle” in Calif. When i moved to Nevada, i put a locking trunk in my Jeep and started using an AR. Now the only non- stamped SBR AR-15 i have is set up for varments. So, i went and got an inexpensive folding stock AK, trsted it for reliability, stoked up some mags and it lives under the rear seat of my new Jeep.

I think having it for some kind of civil unrest makes sense.
Old March 1, 2018, 12:50 AM   #8
LogicMan

Didn't know they made bandoliers for rifle magazines, will have to check that out. Regarding getting shot, yes that's a risk, but if people are being shot and you can do something, might want to take the risk anyway. Could also try calling the cops and tell them you hear a mass shooting and have a gun and are going to try and shoot the shooter, and give a description of yourself (white guy in blue jeans and black T-shirt with AR with ten-round magazines).

I wouldn't race police to a mass shooting, I meant more like if I'm "right there," like leaving the mall in the parking lot, and then hear gunfire and people screaming, and you're right there with a gun available...again not saying I'd just charge in but provided I did have the bravery in such a situation, I'd think it appropriate as it could maybe stop or hold-off the shooter.
Old March 1, 2018, 07:17 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicMan
Didn't know they made bandoliers for rifle magazines, will have to check that out.
I won't buy anything from Cheaper Than Dirt, but this is what they look like:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...ers-arr-112.do

Old March 1, 2018, 10:01 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
Could also try calling the cops and tell them you hear a mass shooting and have a gun and are going to try and shoot the shooter, and give a description of yourself (white guy in blue jeans and black T-shirt with AR with ten-round magazines).
You need to listen to or read transcripts of police dispatcher calls. What will probably get to the officers is:

"White guy in blue jeans with AR"

How is the dispatcher and the officer going to know that the shooter didn't call in to confuse him? White guy with blue jeans and a black t-shirt with an AR sounds like someone a concealed carrier or officer might just want to shoot down.
Old March 1, 2018, 10:21 AM   #11
redlightrich

In many areas, keeping a firearm in a vehicle, when it is unattended is not being a responsible owner.
I realize we should be able to keep items unattended without fear of theft, but unfortunately we all know that thieves exist.
We don't want to contribute to criminals obtaining firearms thru our own actions or inaction.

If you intend to have it in the trunk, only when you are in the car, then there are other issues to consider, such as not being able to leave it loaded.
NY is a tough state for gun owners.
I wish I could offer more helpful advice.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Rich
Old March 1, 2018, 10:26 AM   #12
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
As far as telling people to move, people live places because:

1. They like it for other reasons. Guns are not the universe.
2. That's where they have a job.
3. Family responsibilities.

So keep that advice to yourselves. If someone asks about laws and you know something about that area, help them. Otherwise MYOB.
Good point. I have jokingly told people to move out of states like California but I know that the gun issue isn't the sole reason people generally move into or out of places.
Old March 1, 2018, 10:45 AM   #13
Lohman446

I think people have hit on solid points. Unless you envision being in a position where you are effectively barricaded either in or near your vehicle wandering around with an exposed long-gun or any firearm is likely to draw attention to yourself you do not want. In the case of an active shooter a non uniformed individual wandering around with an exposed firearm is likely to draw the kind of attention he or she does not want and a response from others. Remember those running towards active shooters who are shot intend to get there - the reason they do not is the willingness of the shooter to shoot them. Since you will not shoot these individuals it is likely you will be physically stopped before you get to the shooter. If you must run to the sound of gunfire a concealed pistol is likely the easiest way to get to the point of visually assessing the situation.

As an interesting aside we were discussing in another thread the ability to reholster your pistol without devoting full attention. In the case of responding with deadly force to an active shooter the ability to reholster your firearm before other responding individuals or officers got to the sound of gun fire may just save your life.

The other issue is the legal requirements of your state. Michigan is pretty gun friendly but even its laws around the transport of a firearm are pretty specific including "valid" destinations. I can't, for instance, under the law just toss a cased rifle into my truck to visit the grocery store. My concealed handgun license does not cover rifles. I expect this is why AR-15 style pistols have picked up popularity. They would fall under the concealed handgun license.
Old March 4, 2018, 02:24 AM   #14
JoeSixpack

Dude, you like, read my mind.

I've been kicking around this exact same idea for a while now.
Not to storm a building on a active shooter but as a "get home" gun.

At first it was shoe string ar15.. Im now thinking IF I do it a cheap pump 12ga.
I've seen some mighty good deals on some cheap pumps recently my LGS had dickinson 5+1's for 119, I figure a sling and maybe a light and you're off.. even a cheap AR would be 300+

There is also the problem of travel a 12ga shotgun could probably travel a lot easier then a AR15 "assault rifle" with 30 round mags.

The AR imo would be a better option defensively but I don't think anyone wants to argue with a 12ga up close either.. I know I don't.

Im not sure how it shakes out where you live legal wise, But I'd just make sure you check it for rust regularly.. and maybe think about a way of hiding it in the trunk in case someone jacks your car or break into the trunk... remember cars these days have remote trunk release on their fob's and sometimes things like that get pressed by accident.

Would suck to come out and find your trunk got accidentally popped and gun just laying in the trunk got swiped.

My state has a law on "hidden" compartments in vehicles.. ya know the "war on drugs" (How's that going btw?) but we was able to carve out exceptions for firearm storage.
Old March 8, 2018, 09:56 PM   #15
ThomasT

Quote:
I have kept a long gun in my vehicle for decades. This habit started right after the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, which i was present for.

After that, i started carring a Marlin 336 in 30-30. It avoided the “evil black rifle” in Calif. When i moved to Nevada, i put a locking trunk in my Jeep and started using an AR. Now the only non- stamped SBR AR-15 i have is set up for varments. So, i went and got an inexpensive folding stock AK, trsted it for reliability, stoked up some mags and it lives under the rear seat of my new Jeep.

I think having it for some kind of civil unrest makes sense.
The LA riots and seeing the truck driver Reginald Denny drug from his truck and hit in the head with a brick was an eye opener for me. I have carried a rifle/shotgun and handgun in my truck ever sense. At this time a S&W SD9 and a spare mag and a Marlin model 75C with 50 22 rounds in a snuff can.

I don't know if I would run toward an active shooter. I won't know that until that time comes. But having a couple of guns might let me get out of the area and if the roads were blocked have a chance of cutting across country. I also carry a compass, knives, machette and hatchet. And also a lighter and fire steel. I can survive for a couple of days with that set up until I can get back home. (I hope).
Old March 9, 2018, 10:26 PM   #16
Whistlebritches

First off I live in Texas.......west Texas not over there in Fruitsville;read Dallas,Austin,San Antonio,Houston so on and so forth.I usually have a bolt gun,mag loaded,sitting beside me in the front seat of the pickup.LEGAL

A concealed handgun on my person and a loaded M4 under the back seat.

To answer a few questions above........None of my training ever included running from or ignoring gun fire in a crowd of civilians.That being said every situation is different.I pray I never have to face this situation.......but if I do,I pray I make the right decisions and the bastard/s die.
Old March 9, 2018, 11:20 PM   #17
Rangerrich99

When i was a kid (in my early twenties) I kept the same Marlin rifle in .30-30 all of my friends did in my trunk. i grew up in po-dunk OK; everyone I knew kept at least one long gun in their car/truck. Somewhere along the line I stopped keeping a rifle in my trunk.

With all the craziness the last few years I've been considering a Ruger mini-14 ranch gun (wood stock, not black and scary), just in case. A nice bit is that they come in .223 rem just like my AR so I don't have to start fooling around/reloading with a new caliber. The one big advantage with the Mini over one of my levers is the time to load/reload. Much faster with a spare mag.
Old March 10, 2018, 12:06 AM   #18
Carne Frio

Galati has rifle bandoleers.
https://www.galatiinternational.com/...andoleers.html
Old March 10, 2018, 05:37 AM   #19
Hal

Years before Ohio had the option of carrying a firearm inside a vehicle, I stowed an H&R single shot 12 ga. and a box of #4 shells (w/a few 00 buck mixed in near the bottom of the box ) in my trunk.

I also picked up an Ohio hunting licence and became a dedicated crow hunter....
Crow season ran year round @ the time & my official reason for having the gun/ammo was that I was on my way to hunt crows.
Old March 12, 2018, 01:01 PM   #20
fredvon4

I really really need to get off my complacent ass and put together two GET HOME bags for wife and my cars

Decades ago... I was caught in a very bad weather event about 30 miles from home

I did have minimal common sense things in the car... Flashlight, Thermal blanket, water, flares, typical auto tools, gloves....BUT no food, weapon, knife, ammo

After 6 hrs decided to walk to the house after calculating time of travel vs what radio was telling on time to clear the mess

The most direct route...MY BAD ....took me through a VERY bad part of an inner city

Made it OK but all the way ---IN THAT SECTION of Town I constantly worried about mugging or robbery...

where we live now and the typical routs we drive are not fearful Thus the complacency
BUT the notion to Have and not need vs Need and not have, has me thinking to do the GO bag

Hell a cheap .22 pistol is better than NO gun
Old March 12, 2018, 01:43 PM   #21
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicman
Is it going to be a problem for you the next time you are pulled over for speeding? Mr. Logicman, do you have any weapons in the vehicle?

Are you the sort who would leave his car for service or drive through a bit of NJ without remembering the longarm in the trunk (I certainly am)?

Not saying it's a bad idea, just that you would want to take into account fairly ordinary interactions.
Old March 13, 2018, 10:04 PM   #22
geologist

No CCW in Canada so I legally keep this in the back seat of my truck.

Old March 13, 2018, 10:23 PM   #23
TruthTellers

Leave the shotgun in the bedroom and bring a rifle with you. If you already conceal carry a handgun, guy a carbine that uses the same mags as your handgun. I doubt you'll be shooting further than 150 yards, so you don't need a rifle cartridge.

This is why I'm a big fan of the Kel Tec Sub 2000. Sure, the trigger isn't great by any measure, but they have a good reputation for reliability and folding it up saves a lot of space and it can be tucked away in a backpack or a suitcase if you need to and have it out and ready in seconds.

Oh, but you like in New York, the land where pistol grips are deadlier than Heroin and Big Gulps. Look into the Ruger PC Carbine.

If you're not carrying a pistol, then I would go with a Mini-14 or a lever action in .357 Mag.
Old March 15, 2018, 01:13 AM   #24
Johnny B

I started contemplating this several years ago when a group of belligerent sport bikers accosted the driver of an SUV after a collision that was induced by the rider who was struck. It was ugly.

I really wanted to put together a .300blk AR pistol, but could not envision a scenario in which I could access it without putting myself in greater danger than if I remained at the wheel. Provided the vehicle is not incapacitated, it is a formidable weapon unto itself, and one that is at the ready at all times when you are driving. A defensive/offensive driving course would probably serve as well or better than a tactical rifle course.

All said, as long as you can mitigate the chance of the firearm being stolen and you are not putting yourself in any legal jeopardy by simply possessing it, it could certainly provide a sense of security. I'm not very familiar with NY law, but my vote would be for whichever would be the shortest and handiest legal option, in the event that you need to use it within the confines of the vehicle cabin.
Old March 16, 2018, 03:46 PM   #25
mr bolo

not a good idea, think of how likely you would ever be in a situation to use your firearm during a mass shooting or something like that?

probably one in a million chance right?

now think of the chance on your car getting broken into while parked in your driveway late at night?

the chances on the gun getting stolen are much higher than ever having to grab it to defend yourself in public.