The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 19, 2012, 08:55 PM   #1
markiser

Ruger mark III sights

I just bought a Ruger Mark III stainless with the 5 1/2" bull barrell. I love the pistol but am not liking the sights so much. Any have recommendations for some hi visibility replacement sights? I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the back sight if I can find a good replacement for the front. I have done a little searching and find 2 sight heights. I'm not sure which I have or what to measure to verify. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (47.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (57.7 KB, 53 views)
Old August 19, 2012, 10:46 PM   #2
m_liebst

Might wanna contact Ruger. They're really helpful about that info since they also carry MK models with the hi viz sights like the hunter model. Good luck.

I'm not too crazy about the adjustable sights either, but I actually prefer them over the high viz sights.

I carry a fairly in-expensive compact pistol scope which makes it extremely accurate up to 50 yards. For 12-25 yards I have a Burris FastFire3 that locks onto the picattiny mount that comes with your pistol.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
g.willikers

An easy way to measure the sight height is to include the barrel when measuring, and then subtract the barrel dimension.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Pahoo

Can do

I know for a fact, that Ruger was offering the HiViz sights in their accessaries section. I bought a set from Midway but am sure they are available from others. You can get with or without any additional light-pipes. I too retianed my original squared notch sight as opposed to the "V". Check it out and might add that I installed mine on an order MK-II.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...+MK+III+sights

By the way, when I bought mine, they did not list the Tactical Solutions. If they had, I would have given them a try ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old August 20, 2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Scorch

Williams make their FireSights, and Tactical Solutions makes sights for the Ruger pistols.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pistol.htm
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163...iber-optic-red

BTW, you have the target sights, the shorter of the two heights.
Old August 20, 2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Pahoo

A second look !!

One thing I just noticed about the Tactical Solutions, is that the colored pipe is set or fixed, where as the HiViz, gives you the option of pipe colors and sizes. These pipes or inserts are subject to breakage and on the Tactical Solutions, I'd have to buy a complete new one. Where as on the HiViz I just pick out another pipe. The pipes can also be bought separately, in a plastic tube, with it's key. ...

Your money, your call and looks like you have some great options. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; August 20, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:49 PM   #7
markiser

I think I'm going to try the HiViz.

m_liebst - Do you use a quick connect with that scope? I've got that in mind for the near future.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to post some pics when I get it setup.

Tags
mark iii , ruger , sights