The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 21, 2002, 06:04 PM   #1
gr8fulson

Aced the Safety Class - now what?

Gang,
I need the best possible training follow-up to basic safety course. Want to attend SIG Academy in VA but I live in CA.

What & where do you all recommend for total personal MOR? If I need to be primary thru the door, then I want to be better than the gang bangers that showed up at my safety class.
Old January 22, 2002, 01:28 AM   #2
David Park

SIGARMS Academy is in New Hampshire, if that's what you meant. There are other very good schools closer to you, such as Gunsite in Arizona, but you'll still have to travel. I can't think of any schools off the top of my head in CA. Traveling isn't too big of a deal, since most classes last several days and you'll need a hotel room anyway.

The other option is to wait for trainers to visit your area. I took LFI I when Mas Ayoob came to Richmond, VA. Local ranges and gun rights groups should be able to give you a heads-up when trainers are having a class nearby.

Training isn't cheap, but it's worth saving the money. I'd rather have one gun and a few Thunder Ranch courses than a dozen guns.
Old January 22, 2002, 12:01 PM   #3
stick

Sounds like you took the BFSC. I assume you are looking at "tactical" not competition based course. Depending on your travel radius and training budget here are a few CA accessible schools/instructors:

Frontsight (~Las Vegas, NV)
Gunsite (Arizona)
ISI (Piru, CA) run by Dalton and/or Fowler

Several of the travelling instructors make CA swings (check their websites for schedule info)
Farnam
Awerbuck
Andy Staford from OPS
Mas Ayoob from LFI

If you are a fairly new shooter look into the NRA courses such as basic pistol and personal protection. They go beyond the BFSC, good incremental instruction and are probably offered near you.

ISI and the travelling teams tend to offer 1-2 day courses usually on the weekends. The permanent schools have a variety of courses, expect 2-5 day course offerings.

The list is far from complete but it's a start.
Old January 23, 2002, 05:57 AM   #4
Quartus

A traveling class may be headed to a city near you!

(If you happen to live near the right place.)

Check out http://www.defense-training.com/sched/schedform.html

and look for the Basic/Intermediate class. Great stuff for a reasonable price. Substitute for a week at Gunsite? No, but a whale of a lot cheaper and only kills a weekend. You will learn good skills. This is not a marksmanship class, it's a tactics class. Depending on the facilities available, you may get an in-building room clearing exercise. Fun stuff, but serious.

A write up of my experience at the class is at http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=73360

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old January 23, 2002, 01:01 PM   #5
gr8fulson

Thanks!

really appreciate all the great advice guys - thanks!!