The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 1, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
gaseousclay

Wheeler torque screwdriver

any of you use this to tighten screws on your gun? i'm wondering if I should get this so I can properly assemble my scope? it seems a little overpriced so I was wondering if there was something a little less expensive that does the same job?
Old November 3, 2010, 09:26 AM   #2
bassfishindoc

I have it and I love it. It can be used for a wide range or applications other than just installing scopes (i.e. gunsmithing, and a wide range of non firearm related hobbies). Search around online, there are places that have it cheaper than others. I would recommend it.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old November 3, 2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Pahoo

I recently bought one and was a bit disappointed in the quality. The bit are not all that good for appliactins and fit. I am also having problems using it as I'm not sure I trust it. To a certain degree, it might be me but the settings seem a bit course and tightens the screws tighter that I'm use to. I have pretty much gone back to my old ways. Perhaps I have not given this tool a good try; Perhaps ?? ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 12, 2010, 03:45 AM   #4
Norrick

I have it and use it very frequently. I don't like how you have to pull out the base (to adjust the torque setting) when you turn it every time. You cant pull it out once and turn it and then pop it in. Its literally pull turn, pull turn, pull turn (under constant spring tension). Aside from that it works well, but has a little bit of play where the driver bits attach to the tool, so be very careful when using it on flathead screws.
Old November 13, 2010, 07:54 PM   #5
jal5

I too am interested in alternatives to the Wheeler torque screwdriver. Other ones I have seen on evil bay go for very high prices usually.

Joe