The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: What would you do with these?
Leave as is 23 82.14%
Engrave Ruger logo 1 3.57%
Checker or engrave something else? 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6, 2017, 09:15 PM   #1
5whiskey

What to do with Security Six grips?

Alright gents, I've piddled around with these for a little while now and I finally finished them up. When I first started, I initially envisioned engraving a small Sturm & Ruger Logo near the top. Now that I look at it, I think it will look weird unless I also do some checkering and I really don't want to do checkering (nor do I want them checkered). Plus, I kind of think I prefer the slick look. I have a laser engraver, so I can put almost anything I want on it. What would you do?

Last edited by 5whiskey; May 6, 2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old May 6, 2017, 09:41 PM   #2
redlightrich

Honestly, I think they look very neat the way they are now! Are they comfortable? Do they fit your hand well as is? If so, you may be done! I don't think they need the Ruger logo.

Very nice

Rich
Old May 6, 2017, 11:11 PM   #3
ElVaquero

Security Six Grips

That's a ditto from me. I think they look great, like they mean business, which is what you want. If they are comfortable in your hand and you shoot well with them, leave them as-is.
ElVaquero
Old May 6, 2017, 11:42 PM   #4
Slopemeno

I have a 150 series too. Those are some nice looking grips.
Old May 7, 2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Hal

Nice job!

How about cutting a .357 mag case down so the case head can be stuck where the screw holes are?
Old May 7, 2017, 06:50 AM   #6
arquebus357

Good job on doing the woodwork required for making grips to fit these revolvers. I normally like to make my own grips but I couldn't figure out a way to do these with my limited woodworking tools.

I reshaped the backstrap of my 150 serial prefix Security Six to match the newer configuration. These are a set of Herretts grips I got on Ebay cheap. I refinished and added the medallions.

Last edited by arquebus357; May 7, 2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old May 7, 2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Real Gun

If you use a Ruger logo, then you lose credit for making the grips. Maybe go with your initials.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:40 AM   #8
5whiskey

Quote:
If you use a Ruger logo, then you lose credit for making the grips.
Point taken, but I'm not worried about that so much.

Arquebus, that is a nice looking revolver with some nice looking grips. You did great refinishing them. I could incorporate a medallion I suppose... maybe anodize an aluminum dog tag, cut a circle, and engrave the logo like that.

Quote:
How about cutting a .357 mag case down so the case head can be stuck where the screw holes are?
That's a pretty neat idea too. Decisions decisions...
Old May 7, 2017, 02:22 PM   #9
K_Mac

I would leave them exactly as they are. Very nice job.
Old May 7, 2017, 09:29 PM   #10
5whiskey

Thanks for the compliments guys. Still leaning toward a medallion with a ruger logo, if I do anything.
Old May 9, 2017, 08:50 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd leave them alone but if I inlaid anything, it would be mercury dime on both sides. I don't like FDR (but now we're getting political).
Old May 10, 2017, 05:48 AM   #12
arquebus357

The 1/2" Ruger medallions are easy too come by. The 3/8" medallions not so much. I got mine from a set of newer model Ruger six series grip that I purchased off EBAY for $8.00. I just needed these grips as templates for reshaping my grip frame, the medallions were a bonus.

Old May 10, 2017, 08:47 AM   #13
smee78

I think they look good as is and would not change them. Congrats on the good looking work.
Old May 10, 2017, 08:35 PM   #14
ThomasT

I think they look good. I wouldn't change them. Is that a 150 series gun or the later version? I have both a 150 and a 151. The 150 was a first year run from 1972 and the 151 was made in 1986 IIRC.

I would like to have some larger grips for the 150 gun but so far no luck in finding any. I think I will order a Tyler T-Grip and forget it.

By the way, where do you find the screw and screw studs? I am pretty good at wood working and made a set of grips a long time ago but I was able to rob the parts off the old grip.
Old May 11, 2017, 03:45 AM   #15
b.thomas

Leave them alone.....................there fine as is!
Old May 11, 2017, 02:56 PM   #16
5whiskey

Quote:
Is that a 150 series gun or the later version?
It is a 150 series. I believe they switched to 151 in 1975 but do not quote me.

Quote:
By the way, where do you find the screw and screw studs?
I went to a local hardware store and found the screw and a washer stud to fit from the machine parts bin. I simply cut the washer off of the stud and epoxied it in the hole in the grip. The hole was countersunk so the base of the stud is resting on wood, so the only purpose for the epoxy is to keep it from twisting in the hole or falling out upon removing the grips. I can post a picture of the other side, it really looks the same as the stock grips. I chose not to rob parts because the stock grips are still mostly intact. One has a chunk gouged out of the corner of the base, plus they are pretty well worn... but still serviceable so I didn't want to sacrifice them just in case.

Thank you again for all compliments everyone. I wasn't fishing for compliments, I really do just want some advice. I still haven't decided on whether to do a medallion insert or not. Probably keep as is until the notion to do otherwise strikes me. Also several have asked how the fit to my hand was. It is what I was looking for. Slightly thicker than the stock grips, with a little more pronounced curve where the middle finger wraps around. I don't profess to be a master grip maker with an eye for ergonomics... but it does what I wanted and that is to fit and look a little better than the stock grips.
Old May 11, 2017, 04:10 PM   #17
shafter

Those look great as is.
Old May 18, 2017, 04:12 PM   #18
Stargater53

Quote:
Arquebus357 ยป I reshaped the backstrap of my 150 serial prefix Security Six to match the newer configuration. These are a set of Herretts grips I got on Ebay cheap. I refinished and added the medallions.
Yes and a great job you did on it, too. Any chance you could post a few photos of your gun without any grips on it at all? If like to see exactly what you did. The grips are very nice, as well. I always liked the way the hammer retention holes seemed offset on those early versions.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:14 PM   #19
arquebus357

These are the best I can offer as before and after. For the Heretts grips I still needed ti extend the grips about 1/16" to mate with the trigger guard. So many of the aftermarket grips for revolvers almost completely fill the area between the grip frame and trigger guard. This requires elongating the grip panels to afford a full three finger grip. To me, this kind of throws off the proportions of the gun. I actually shortened the Heretts grips by about 1/4". The end result is a pretty good imitation of the Ruger Target Grips which to me, look just about perfect.

Last edited by arquebus357; May 18, 2017 at 11:32 PM.