The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2016, 01:37 AM   #1
towman32

Best single stage press and why

Hey guys I was looking at purchasing another single stage press and thought I would get some opinions. I currently have Lee presses. What are your thoughts?
Old October 7, 2016, 02:33 AM   #2
JeepHammer

Which: It's hard to beat a 'Rock Chucker',
Especally if you get one with iron frame.

Why: Good leverage, so you whip the brass, the brass doesn't whip the press.
Some presses you don't get good leverage,
Some the arm or frame give so the brass doesn't get that final push into place.
Old October 7, 2016, 04:49 AM   #3
Sevens

"Best" can be answered in many ways. Best selling over many decades? Probably the Rock Chucker. Best value for the money? The Lee Classic Cast makes a terrific case.

Best... BEST? Likely the Forster Co-Ax, if you can accept that it's not like any other and costs an awful lot of dough.
Old October 7, 2016, 06:08 AM   #4
dahermit

I would suggest looking for a used RCBS Jr. I have used one over many years. It has a shorter stroke than some of the bigger presses (RCBS Rockchucker, et. al.), so it is handier (faster operation) for pistol cases but has enough mechanical advantage for all but the .50BMG. It is also cast steel, not lightweight Aluminum so it is very strong. Even when I got a Dillon 550b years ago, I still kept my RCBS Jr. for rifle handloading and de-priming, etc.
Old October 7, 2016, 07:00 AM   #5
ammo.crafter

Single Stage Press

RCBS Jr single stage press was the first press I purchased almost 50 years ago.

Though I have several other presses that are more modern and multiple action presses, I always go back to the RCBS when making a short run and/or working up a new load.
Old October 7, 2016, 07:04 AM   #6
Woolecox

Forster Co-Ax

I added a Forster Co-Ax about 7 years ago. I can highly recommend it because of its ease of use and it just simply produces the most accurate rifle ammo that I have every made. Use it along with Forster’s Competition Bench Rest dies, if accuracy is a is a concern for you.

Keep your Lee press. It will always come in handy for things like Rx dies, bullet pullers, etc.

I started loading in 1987 on a US made RockChucker. Since then, I have owned and used the Lee Classic Cast, Lee Classic Turret, Dillon RL550B, Redding Big Boss II (highly recommended as well), and the Forster Co-Ax. In addition to those machines, I have used a Century arbor press and custom dies when I was competing in Bench Rest Rifle.

The presses that remain on my bench 29 years later are the Forster Co-Ax, the Dillon RL550B, and the Redding Big Boss II. I gave the old RockChucker to my son, and sold everything else. The last time I picked up a boxed RCBS kit that contained a RockChucker press, the box said "made in China and Mexico". I imagine that RCBS makes all presses, dies, etc. overseas now. As far as I know, Forster, Redding, Lee, and Dillon still made in the USA.

I don’t have any experience with Hornady.

Old October 7, 2016, 08:23 AM   #7
oldscot3

I've been using a RCBS Rock Chucker for decades and it's no worse for the wear, but if I were buying a press now I would at least consider a Redding Boss. I have some Redding dies and a few other pieces of equipment and they just exude, solid quality.
Old October 7, 2016, 08:45 AM   #8
flashhole

Any of the presses that have the hollow ram for primer drop through dispensing would be a good choice. I favor the Lee Classic Cast and the Redding Ultramag.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old October 7, 2016, 08:56 AM   #9
towman32

Thanks for the feedback. I've never heard of the coax, after reading about it online I think that will be my next addition.
Old October 7, 2016, 09:41 AM   #10
F. Guffey

http://www.forsterproducts.com/produ...loading-press/

At $463.00?

For me there is not enough room around the case head and then there is the top of the die. I form cases with forming dies meaning when forming I trim, I trim with man tools like the file and hack saw. I understand for most when reloading there is not much outside of sizing, I have to have to have a press that has utility meaning I want most of the press under the table/bench because anything on top of the press is in my way.

F. Guffey
Old October 7, 2016, 09:58 AM   #11
JeepHammer

Accuracy Vs. Cost?
I wouldn't care how 'Accurate' the press was, a single press that costs as much as a Dillon auto indexing progressive reloader wouldn't be in my budget for anything but extreme bench rifle competition ammo...

Didnt know we were talking $500 here!

The Dillon progressives now have single round capability, are as ridged & powerful as any aluminum frame press on the market,
And would give you the capability to crank out 'Match' grade ammo at 450+ rounds a minute, depending on press you choose...

My Rock Chucker is 40+ years old, still capable of cranking out bench ammo.
Darn good investment over the long haul!
Old October 7, 2016, 10:33 AM   #12
F. Guffey

Quote:
Didnt know we were talking $500 here!
someone went straight to the Forster press and they were oohing and awing as thought only the elitist of reloaders with discerning taste owned one of them, I do not have one so you know what that says about me.

I did call RCBS about one of my Rock Chuckers; I explained to them my ram slid out the bottom of the press and hit the floor. They said they would send me another one. (Another what?). I was not interested in swapping my press for a new one. So, I ask "another what?" They said another ram and instillation kit. I had to ask; "you will do that for me?".

F. Guffey
Old October 7, 2016, 10:47 AM   #13
MarkCO

I load most of my ammo on a Dillon 650XL and most of my precision and hunting ammo on a RockChucker. Honestly, I would gladly trade the RC for a quality turret press. The ability to have my dies in a tool head and just rotate is very appealing. Not sure which one I would get, but I see no reason to have 2 single stages on my bench.
Old October 7, 2016, 10:57 AM   #14
mikld

A conscientious reloader can make good, accurate on almost any single stage press. A sloppy reloader can't make good, accurate ammo on the most high tech., costly, single stage press. BTW; you fellers remember the guy that held the record for smallest group at 1,000 yards? He used a Lee Loader...

The Forster Co-Ax is a unique design that works very well, nothing "elitist" or "snobbish" about them. Sinclair makes a $300.00+ single stage, precision press. Herrels make precision machined single stage presses from $200.00+ for a "portable" to over $300.00+ for their bench mounted single stage presses. If anyone wanted to be a "tool snob" they would prolly choose one of these, not a common Co-Ax...
Old October 7, 2016, 12:30 PM   #15
RC20

My brother has the Foreseter Co-ax and likes it a lot. He also has a Horandy progressive and that was first and I think fallen by the way (accurate ammo now being the goal)

I have a Rock Chucker and am fine with it. Also an old RCBS Junior that goes to the range with me to adjust COAL

One reserve Rock Chucker one of my brothers gave me.

It may get setup if I work out the bench setup.

You really can't go wrong, just how much money to spend and what you are after.

If I get good enough I may go for the Forster , for now, good with what I have.
Old October 7, 2016, 03:20 PM   #16
Nick_C_S

I don't know.

And the reason why I don't know is that I have used only one single-stage press: My RCBS "Reloader Special 2." I believe they're up to RS5's now. Anyway, I bought mine in 1984 and used it exclusively until I got my first progressive June last year. I still use my RS2. And it still works like the day it was made. That's all I've got on this subject
Old October 7, 2016, 06:06 PM   #17
jmorris

Best for what? That will also direct the "why".

If there were a "one size fits all" best, we wouldn't have to pick as the others would be long gone by now.
Old October 7, 2016, 06:25 PM   #18
hdbiker

RCBS Rockchucker

I bought my Rockchucker back in 1972, it came with a set of .308 dies and a shell holder for 42 bucks, my buddy and I each ordered one and we got free shipping. I took it apart a couple times to clean and lube, that's it. habiker
Old October 7, 2016, 06:32 PM   #19
hdbiker

RCBS Rockchucker

I bought my Rockchucker back in 1972, it came with a set of .308 dies and a shell holder for 42 bucks, my buddy and I each ordered one and we got free shipping. I took it apart a couple times to clean and lube, that's it. habiker
Old October 7, 2016, 06:36 PM   #20
hdbiker

OOP's

Sorry fore the double post, MY BAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 7, 2016, 06:47 PM   #21
THEWELSHM

I have an RCBS jr 3 to load my 500 with I use it for small runs all Magnum. I got it on eBay for $45 best money I spent.... go RCBS oh by the way the press is 1973 and they sent me primer catcher for free..

Thewelshm
Old October 7, 2016, 07:03 PM   #22
Average Joe

Lee, because it's cheap, and does what the big boys do at half the cost.
Old October 7, 2016, 08:39 PM   #23
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Lyman T Mag II Turret press vs Lee Handheld Press

If you want partout an single stage press I would suggest an mobile one like the Lee Handheld Press. Buy 3 of them and you can take your reloading to the balcony, outside or even on vacation-countryside. I ordered 4 of them but they did not arrive yet.

However I would start with an turret press like my Lyman T Mag II Turret press. Holds 2 calibers (2 times 3 die set) and is an awesome set up. It works flawlessly and the best set up for the Money (best value). I use it for reloading 38 spl/357 mag (RCBS carbide taper crimp 3 die set) and the other die set allways in place is 9mm Luger (Hornady carbide taper crimp II 3 die set). The turret press Speed things up.
As I am in Southamerica we can not get powder so I scavenge it from 12 ga shotshells. The whole reloading process is very Manual and so the best set up is an turret press (it Speeds things up a bit).
Old October 7, 2016, 10:20 PM   #24
rclark

I can't say there 'is' a best. Mine is a Hornady press that I've had since the early 80s. Very satisfied with it. Still going strong. I've seen Rock Chuckers that seem to work good. Some swear by Dillon, or Lyman, or Redding or.... Pick one that meets your needs. About all I can say on this subject.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 7, 2016, 11:28 PM   #25
1100 tac

I don't have any complaints about my Forster, or my Rockchucker, or my 550b...