The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2015, 12:32 PM   #1
swedish champion

arbor lubrication with Geox

Hi there. As anyone who shoots with black, I'm fighting arbor seize-up in my pistols. I keep warm water and swab between stages. They can still get a bit sticky tho. I know black powder responds differently on a chemical level to petroleum lubrication, than it does to organic lubrication. I'd like to ask for advice on the best experiences you guys have had with an arbor lubricant as resistant to gumming up as possible. Just enough to buy time for one extra cylinder between wipedowns. Thanks.
Old February 2, 2015, 01:12 PM   #2
FrontierGander

moly grease.
Old February 2, 2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Model12Win

I know this is going to sound crazy, but good ol' fashioned ballistol works well for me. A nice thick coating and put the cylinder back on.
Old February 2, 2015, 01:40 PM   #4
maillemaker

Yup, I don't even bother with a special lube anymore. I tried lithium grease once but it just made the gun harder to clean.

I just oil the arbor with Ballistol during my final wipedown and call it good. I've not had any problems after shooting 100 shots or less.

Steve
Old February 2, 2015, 02:29 PM   #5
swedish champion

arbor lube

Ballistoll, and moly. Sounds like I'll try both. Thanks you guys. I'm embarrassed as I've heard ballistoll mentioned in so many circles, yet still havnt tried it. I better give it a shot. Got some moly for my boat. I'll try a bit of that as well. Much appreciated!
Old February 2, 2015, 02:52 PM   #6
mehavey

We always used plain old Crisco
Old February 2, 2015, 07:39 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Colts style revolvers - Bore Butter. On Remington style revolvers I've not had anything that will keep the cylinder free more than two cylinders full.-
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 2, 2015, 10:46 PM   #8
Bishop Creek

I'm on my last tub of Lube 103, the only lube that keeps my '58 Remington going for up to six cylinders full before it starts to bind. I'd better check online and see if they still make it.
Old February 3, 2015, 12:27 PM   #9
swedish champion

arbor lube

Check! Bore butter. Picked some up yesterday. Went thru u tube a few years back when I was greener than I still am. Bach then I was PETRIFIED of the idea of a chain fire. Packed every cylinder flush with the stuff. (think it permanently waxed the hood of my truck). But thinking back, I could get 24 rounds out of my 1858 before a field strip n rinse. I attributed that to triple seven, so, I'll try b.b. Again. And wait a second, I assemble engines often....lube 103! Are we talking about the popular camshaft installation synthetic hi-yield assembly lubricant? Very interesting approach. I wonder if I'm thinking of the same stuff. Thanks for all input guys. Appreciated.
Old February 3, 2015, 04:57 PM   #10
Hellgate

Champ,
I use automotive grease on all my arbors. I also use over ball grease and a lube wad under the ball. All my colts will shoot a least 30 rounds with out any binding and most of the time would probably go to 50 or 60+ without problems. Remingtons vary for no reason what ever. My Ubertis will bind after two cylinders full and my Euroarms Remingtons will go all day long. I keep a small plastic squeeze bottle of oil (olive or Ballistol) handy. Each time I load the Ubertis (powder, lube wad, ball, & over ball grease) I put a single drop of oil right at the front of the cylinder at the contact point of the frame. While holding the gun pointing up I twirl the cylinder and work the oil down onto the cylinder pin. This loosens the cylinder pin and lubes the front of the cylinder where it rubs on the frame. It takes about 5 seconds and will keep your Remmie shooting all day. There is no need to take the cylinder out to wipe off fouling and get your hands and shirts all blackened. Leave that til you get home for the day and start cleaning.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 4, 2015, 02:27 AM   #11
Ifishsum

I've had good luck with olive oil...can go usually shoot through several cylinders full, at least 4-5 loadings or more. Can't remember having had to stop shooting due to lubrication/fouling but probably haven't often tried more than 5-6 loadings at a sitting either. FWIW
Old February 4, 2015, 04:26 PM   #12
rodwhaincamo

Another one who uses Ballistol on my Remington '58 cylinder pin. Keeps it going no problem and I use 3F Olde Eynsford. It used to bind up real bad by the third cylinder full. After maybe 3 cylinders I spray a bit more (aerosol version).