The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 18, 2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Chipperman

AR10 compatibility

Hey,
I just bought a stripped Aero M5 upper and lower. I have read that the PSA Gen3 upper does not fit the Aero M5 lower. Could I buy a complete PSA Gen 3 upper and just switch it out with the stripped Aero upper receiver?
Old October 18, 2020, 04:55 PM   #2
Metal god

If the arrow upper is based off the DPMS design and specs then I would think it would be doable . I don’t think the lower parts will work or at least some of them from PSA , best to get a Areo A.R. 10 lower parts kit for it . I will add that if the Areo lower does not work with the PSA upper that would seem to indicate The Areo upper is not of DPMS design .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 18, 2020, 05:53 PM   #3
bacardisteve

There are 2 different dpms profiles. Hi and low. The aero is I believe a hi profile the psa is neither. The ar10 world is vastly different from ar15. Doesnt help parts are hard to find right now. I sat on a new frontier billet lower for months trying to find a stripped upper in the dpms low profile variety. I gave up and ordered a complete bca upper.
Old October 18, 2020, 06:25 PM   #4
Chipperman

Thanks for the replies. I decided to just build one up myself instead. I'm gonna pay a lot more in the end, but should have a nicer rifle for it.

I ordered a Criterion 18" 1:10 twist barrel to start the project.
Old October 19, 2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Fishbed77

I just built an AR-10 and went with all Aero parts. I would recommend doing the same to guarantee compatibility. Since you already have the Aero upper and lower, it seems like a no-brainer.

Aero is often out of stock on their website, but subscribe for notifications, as items also come back in stock regularly. I’ve also learned that Arm or Ally, Wing Tactical, and Granite Ridge Outfitters often have Aero Precision parts in stock, and often for better prices than Aero’s website. Also, Ballistic Advantage makes Aero’s .308 barrels, and the barrels with their branding are identical to the barrels with Aero’s branding.
Old October 25, 2020, 05:58 PM   #6
stagpanther

After years of unpredictable mix/match of lowers and uppers--I now just buy receivers matched by Aero--they are going to fit well--and just as important, the hand guard will be trued precisely. Best of all is wait until the "builder set" is on sale; generally you can save a lot of money and you know there will be no problems.
Old October 25, 2020, 09:38 PM   #7
Chipperman

Update:
So I got the matched Aero upper and lower first. I got the Criterion barrel I mentioned. Then I got an Aero bolt, LPK, charging handle, gas tube and buffer set.
I got a CMC trigger, Radian Raptor ambi safety, and a King Comp.
I'm topping it off with a Leupold 4.5--14x40 scope.
The only parts I'm waiting on are the Magpul PRS stock and the SLR 7 adjustable port which should both come at the end of this week.

The only downer is that the weather is going to get too crappy to fire it soon.
Old October 26, 2020, 04:17 AM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
The only downer is that the weather is going to get too crappy to fire it soon.
You live in New Hampshire? I live in Maine and never stop shooting through the winter. The alternative is to stay indoors all winter and drink beer, watch TV and get fat.

Sounds like you have the parts for a great build, the possible exception from my point of view is the PRS stock, I have one and have never cared all that much for it--it's OK for a boat-anchor style extra-heavy sniper system IMO but I prefer to go the other way with as light as possible stock, as a matter fact my preferred one happens to be magpul's cheapest--their fixed rifle stock (I hate any wobble or movement in the stock) which I have found for under $30 at times.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 26, 2020 at 04:23 AM.
Old October 26, 2020, 11:51 AM   #9
Chipperman

Yeah, I'm in NH. I guess I'm wimpy, but I don't enjoy shooting when my little phalanges get cold.

I hope I like the PRS because it's too late now. I don't care too much about weight because I'll be shooting from a table or prone 95% of the time. It will still be lighter than my M1A EBR. That thing weighs almost as much as my .50 BMG. (ok not really, but it is a beast)