The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: POLL: Concealed Carry in Church: Do / Did / Will you?
I didn't in the past but will consider it now 5 6.85%
I didn't in the past but do now 6 8.22%
I did in the past and still do 58 79.45%
I did in the past but don't any more 3 4.11%
No need to I'm bulletproof 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 12, 2017, 02:48 PM   #1
TXAZ

Concealed Carry in Church: Do / Did / Will you?

CLARIFICATION: If you attend worship services...

A lot of friends in Texas are reconsidering Concealed carry in their place of worship here in Texas after the tragedy in South Texas.

What's the sentiment across the country?

One recent pronouncement from the United Methodist Church was to restrict Open carry but not address (tacitly not restrict) Concealed carry.

What say you for you legal CHL /LTC / CWP holders?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; November 12, 2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old November 12, 2017, 02:57 PM   #2
roashooter

its concealed....that's why I carry everywhere...
Old November 12, 2017, 03:02 PM   #3
SonOfScubaDiver

You forgot one option-- I don't go to church.

Seriously, I think it's beyond sad that we're even having to think about carrying in church. I don't get to church very often, but I have to say that I probably wouldn't go now without taking my gun with me.
Old November 12, 2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Rangerrich99

I haven't been a regular at church for some time now, but I still go around Thanksgiving, Christmas and several other holidays, so maybe a dozen times a year. I didn't carry to church until after the Charleston church shooting (Dylann Roof), because our pastor asked the congregation to "please leave our guns outside." So i left mine in the truck during services.

However, after the Roof incident I began bringing my EDC into church. Interestingly, I was told by a friend today that the pastor wants to speak with some of us that he knows are regular CCW carriers about security during services. Out of curiosity I plan to show up to the meeting.
Old November 12, 2017, 05:23 PM   #5
Psychedelic Bang

I've not been to church in at least 2 years but I wouldn't go to church unarmed now.

I have never carried in a church, temple, religious event or setting. All that has changed now.
Old November 12, 2017, 05:27 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

I have always carried any time it is legal to do so.

I can't see spending all the time/training/effort/money required to carry a handgun and then risking not having it the one time it is truly needed.
Old November 12, 2017, 06:52 PM   #7
Gary Gill

I have carried concealed at church for some twenty years. Not that I expected to need a gun at church but carrying is a way of daily life.
Old November 12, 2017, 07:22 PM   #8
DMK

I never understood why church is any different than anywhere else. It's not disrespectful to carry in the house of God. And I say this as a Christian. God is with you everywhere, not just in church.
Old November 12, 2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Rockrivr1

Carry all day every day no matter where I am. Concealed means concealed. If you're doing it right nobody should ever know.
Old November 12, 2017, 08:03 PM   #10
jmr40

I believe that CC in TX churches is illegal, at least for now. It used to be here in GA, but several years ago the law was changed giving each individual church the option to decide. If one church decides not to allow it, then it would be illegal in that church. If another decides it is OK, then it is legal in that church. I don't attend regularly, but we CAN CC. if we wish.

Winston Churchill
Old November 12, 2017, 08:19 PM   #11
TXAZ

^^^
JMR40
CC in churches was illegal in the original law but was updated 2 years later.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 12, 2017, 09:03 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Correct. Unless a TX church is posted 30.06 and/or 30.07, carry is legal in TX churches.

However, the law is written in a confusing manner. Rather than remove the prohibition against church carry, they simply added another clause several paragraphs down stating that the prohibition only applies if the license holder is given notice under 30.06/30.07.
Old November 12, 2017, 09:26 PM   #13
egor20

My Priest knows that my wife and I carry (he shoots skeet with us on our farm) and I know 7 others in our congregation that carry. We've had coffee after Mass a few times to discuss such a situation.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 12, 2017, 11:07 PM   #14
Crankylove

I’m not an active church goer, but my wife and kids go fairly regularly. I go with occasionally for Holliday’s, or when my kids have parts in the little programs they put on.

I’ve carried when I go to church since I got my permit. I carry everywhere else I go, I see no reason not to carry at church, or anywhere it’s legal. Just had parent-teacher conference for two of my kids, I carry (legally) in their schools as well.
Old November 13, 2017, 12:44 AM   #15
TruthTellers

I don't go to church, if I did yes I'd carry and just for the hell of it I'd wear a vest with lvl III plates in the front and back over my Sunday Best to really let it sink in to everyone else what a messed up world we live in.
Old November 13, 2017, 09:24 AM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankylove
I’ve carried when I go to church since I got my permit. I carry everywhere else I go, I see no reason not to carry at church, or anywhere it’s legal. Just had parent-teacher conference for two of my kids, I carry (legally) in their schools as well.
How is it legal to carry in a school? I thought carry in schools was illegal under federal law.
Old November 13, 2017, 10:18 AM   #17
TracerTesterman

I always have and always will.

But people seem to get 'weirded' out more by carrying in church than anywhere else. I never understood it, but I see a lot of churches (pre Texas Shooting) who use armed security guards. Especially around Children's Service areas.
Old November 13, 2017, 10:30 AM   #18
TailGator

My pastor approached me last week, after the Texas shooting, and I replied that I carry everywhere it is legal, including church. I have had a personal plan for a shooter at church, but the pastor is now developing one and contacting others who are licensed for concealed carry to organize, and to get some training and assessment from local law enforcement agencies. The conversation also gave me an opportunity to discuss some concerns I have with the layout and construction of the building, and he was receptive. So many people are reactive rather than proactive.
Old November 13, 2017, 11:46 AM   #19
Bluecthomas

If you CCW, carry everywhere except for courthouses or airports, places that both restrict and check for.

As for the specific location of a church, seated with your back to the door and all your attention focused in front, I hope you get the chance.
Old November 13, 2017, 01:02 PM   #20
MTT TL

I carry everywhere unless it is illegal to do so.

There are very few places around here that is illegal for me to do so.
Old November 13, 2017, 01:06 PM   #21
Crankylove

Quote:
How is it legal to carry in a school? I thought carry in schools was illegal under federal law
Not against federal law, just depends on state or local law.

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firea...ked-questions/

Scroll down to third question.

Private schools can still deny concealed carry on their property and in their vehicles, but any school that receives public money is legal to carry. Legal for teachers and staff to carry as well, but not for students even if they are of legal age and have a permit.

You’ll also notice if does include houses of worship in the excluded areas. If you dig a little deeper into the the state law, if you ask for and receive permission, it’s legal to carry.

Last edited by Crankylove; November 13, 2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old November 13, 2017, 01:32 PM   #22
jdc606

I carry everywhere there aren't restrictions backed up with a metal detector. If I ever need to use deadly force, the where will not matter. Can't think of a much higher risk location than a school event where an angry ex will act out some twisted idea of justice or revenge. Really, has there ever been a school shooting?
A person charged with a violent offense (domestic abuse, terroristic threat, etc.) may have legally purchased a firearm years prior. Their firearms should be impounded once charged and confiscated if convicted.
Old November 13, 2017, 01:37 PM   #23
Buzzcook

Atheist now, didn't carry then.

On those few occasions I do attend, weddings and funerals etc., I don't plan to carry.
Old November 13, 2017, 03:43 PM   #24
TracerTesterman

I carried at my wedding, and we didn't have no drama.

In the 'wedding video' you can see me getting ready and I'm putting my uniform on over my Glock.

I feel naked without a gun. Doubley-so if I'm with my family.
Old November 14, 2017, 07:51 AM   #25
oljames3

Here in Texas, I carry openly as my preferred method and conceal only when the law or the circumstances require. I carry openly in and around my church, concealing only in the sanctuary during worship.